• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

3D video - Do you care?

Seems that the views -- at least by those who frequent this forum -- are fairly consistent...and, while do not have a Sim2 Ht5000e, I do know what you mean about your Elite panels as I have offered for mine but simply refuse to part with them...

2D image's for me can be completely immersive especially if provided from a projector such as a Sim2 HT5000e.

I find that the 3D glasses provide a barrier between myself and the viewing experience. If I am viewing with friends or family the reactions of myself and those around me are an important part of the experience. The glasses get in the way.

I'm sorry to hear that about the Panasonic as well. I have a Pioneer Elite 111FD and love the picture. Even my wife, who suffers through my A/V obsessions, frequently blurts out how beautiful the picture is. I am shocked that years after purchasing the Pioneer technology, Panasonic has yet to match the PQ. Like the kscape, it's expensive but in a class by itself.

I was thinking about the new Panasonic 85" 3D capable plasma - assuming the black levels were great. Guess I'll really consider a projector now...

...............I find that the 3D glasses provide a barrier between myself and the viewing experience. If I am viewing with friends or family the reactions of myself and those around me are an important part of the experience. The glasses get in the way.

That's a very good point.

Jim

I'm sorry to hear that about the Panasonic as well. I have a Pioneer Elite 111FD and love the picture. Even my wife, who suffers through my A/V obsessions, frequently blurts out how beautiful the picture is. I am shocked that years after purchasing the Pioneer technology, Panasonic has yet to match the PQ. Like the kscape, it's expensive but in a class by itself.

I was thinking about the new Panasonic 85" 3D capable plasma - assuming the black levels were great. Guess I'll really consider a projector now...

I would reserve judgement on the Panny's until you see them for yourself. There are many people on other forums that give the VT25 high praise at most levels and describe only minor complaints. These same people judge the 3D quality as excellent, given what is currently on the market. I cannot argue with any subjective statements, and don't disagree that the Panny performs as good as, or better than, the best 3D sets currently available. I'm just hoping that if 3D does become a bigger share of the marketplace, it does so with even better technology.

Keep in mind that the VT30 series expected to be released in April may incorporate more of the Kuro technology, and at the very least should have "some" improvements.

Jim

I think I know someone who is a dealer for those large Pannys.... :)

If I was building a new home, Id seriously consider an 85"er for my lounging around room.

Hey, I didn't say the 103 or whatever it is- I think they have a 150 also...

oh to dream...

If I was building a new home, Id seriously consider an 85"er for my lounging around room.

oh to dream...

Certainly would save on your heating bill...but, then again, those savings would probably be given up during air conditioning season...

oh to dream...

We have sold a few, and two 103's.:)

I've got the 85 in another home (not the 3D version), and a 103", and generally like them, but I don't like being "in-between" sizes (I like 60-70" for bedrooms), and over 110" (I'm 184" in the main room). It's (85") kind of too big for a bedroom and too small for a good sized viewing room. (Maybe the kitchen??:D)

Jim

Certainly would save on your heating bill...but, then again, those savings would probably be given up during air conditioning season...

Yup, it definately puts out some heat. I'm sure it's hit the electric bill as well (at 220V, 1400 wts for the 103) (120v, 1250 wts for the 85), but haven't taken the time to check.

Jim

Last edited:
The 152" being released this month (or scheduled to be released). It is a 4K (4096 x 2160), 17:9, 3D ready panel. Weighs 1300+ pounds, uses 4500 watts!!! Said to have new processing that eliminates crosstalk, among other improvements. 5,000,000:1 CR The price has not been finalized.

There is also a 103" and 85" 3D version of the current 103" and 85." (expected to be $65,000 and $45,000) Cheap!!!:D

Jim

17:9? TypeO I am imagining.

Im glad they eliminated the cross talk. Hows the processing in these? Would you want a processor like the radiance to upscale it to the 4k?

Nope, Panasonic indicated 17:9 at InfoComm. I'll see if I can find a copy of the original press release. (Although I have seen a couple of 16:9 references from other than Panasonic reps.)

Not sure about the new processing (if it is in fact new), I have not seen any more than a couple of demo clips and could not judge based on that limited viewing. The Radiance might still be needed!!

Jim

Id like to see a 21:9 153" screen!!!

Here you go for 3Ds future- people will freak out over this.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/TECH/gaming.gadgets/12/30/nintendo.3ds.kids/index.html?hpt=Sbin
(CNN) -- Nintendo is warning young children against playing 3-D video games on its upcoming handheld gaming system, the Nintendo 3DS.
Kids younger than 6 who play the 3-D games may have the growth of their eyes stunted, the company said in a statement on its Japanese website.
The warning notes that parents can turn off the 3-D functionality of the handheld 3DS. They can also set passwords that keep kids from using that feature.
The statement also asks everyone who plays the 3-D gaming system to take periodic breaks from the games as often as every hour or 30 minutes.
The warning follows many others on the potential health effects of three-dimensional entertainment. TV makers have issued warnings about young people, pregnant women and even drunk people viewing 3-D TV, noting that the medium may cause nausea, dizziness and seizures.
In one such warning, Samsung said those risks are heightened in kids.
Nintendo has largely gotten favorable reviews for the 3DS system, which lets players see games in three dimensions without wearing the clunky glasses that are required for most 3-D television and movie displays.
The company debuted the 3DS at a trade show earlier this year.
The $300 device is scheduled to hit stores in Japan in February and then in the United States in March.

WANT!!!
pdp.JPG

Nice pic....:)

I "may" add that to my Notre Dame home, still deciding. It will require A LOT of help and equipment to get it mounted, not to mention a custom wall, (or reinforced floor!!). Let me know when you want yours...:D

I did see that warning on 3D, sounds reasonable.

Jim

I suspect it may well be quite easy to become used to viewing a 4K panel of that size.

The logistics of fitting one in my lounge would be an interesting challenge.

I would think you want reinforcements on your floor and wall. I wouldn't bother unless I was doing a pretty serious renovation or building from the ground up.

Exactly, that is the problem. If I had one installed it would require temporarily removing a section of exterior wall to put it in a basement area. That's a lot of work.

Jim

Back