• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

3D video - Do you care?

So one followup to my long post above.... maybe this will give SOME hope to Jerry and Mike. It is THEORETICALLY possible to design a display that could adjust the parallax barrier crystals so that images were sent to each viewer's eyes if some serious processing power and cameras were mounted to the display capable of locating and picking out human heads, and detecting the location and positions of their eyeballs.

funktionsprinzip_C-i_s.jpg

Sounds crazy, but it has been done in a lab, but only for a single viewer. Cameras track and locate the head, find the eyes, and adjust the crystals on the display to account for that person's location.
--josh

Which, combined with the nearly omnipresent webcams these days, makes this a fairly decent option for laptops. Anything cheap enough to not have the processing power wouldn't get the option anyway.

Though as much fun as this discussion of ways to implement 3D is... isn't that all pointless in context? As a player, all K needs to do is pass along a signal that conforms to one of the standards adopted in the compatibility framework and let the display sort it out.

Well, if the decoding is the equivalent of 1080p60, it doesn't really matter what the format is (sequential, side by side, checkerboard, etc), it would still take more horsepower than decoding 1080p30. Does the engine have that much pedal left?

Well, I'm resurrecting this older thread, and I'm sure I posted "I'll never wear the glasses" in a thread somewhere. Like a fellow member posted "never say never."

I've got a Panasonic exec friend that decided to "surprise" me by sending a Panasonic 65VT25 3D "package" (includes 3 3D glasses and Avatar 3D, and a small 5.1 HT speakers and their 3D BR Player). He also included "A Christmas Carol 3D" and "Despicable Me 3D." Not sure what these actually cost, but free is free, so I found a spot for this toy, setup, and played Avatar first, followed by the others. Actually have to admit the experience was much better than I anticipated and I can see why some are attracted to this setup. I was surprised by how well the 3D is rendered, and also surprised that I didn't experience any eye fatigue. Not bad at all. Now all I have to do is get K to add 3D capability to the Players!!! (after the HD audio decoding, of course:D)

Jim

free is free, you said it best!

I'm still in the "I'll never wear glasses" camp, even after my own trial period.

K could add it, as more options are always better, but they better not do it before the audio decoding!!

...Now all I have to do is get K to add 3D capability to the Players!!! (after the HD audio decoding, of course:D)

I can suggest another thing for you to do. Change your address to mine so I get first grab at all these goodies you've been getting :D

I can suggest another thing for you to do. Change your address to mine so I get first grab at all these goodies you've been getting :D

:D:D

(It really was unexpected. On a side note, although the panel (65VT25) performs well in most areas, it is still lacking in Black level as compared to the Pio Elites, even after buying the technology from Pio when they shutdown their Plasma division. I hope Panny starts including more of that tech in the VT30 due out in April (although I'm not really in the market for anymore flat panels).

Jim

That's a shame about the pany. Love my nearly three year old 141. Would have hoped that pany had their sh$t together by now. Need another display and still not sold on LED

I'll Take 3D

Hey,

We just got a Sony 42" 3D television, glasses and PS3. I've found it very cool, and it does enhance the viewing of a movie. I was also pleasantly surprised to see that when my DirecTV receiver was connected to it, it recognized 3D capability and now allows me to see those 3D channels. They've had some basketball games, a Jane's Addition concert, and some other interesting (and very nice looking) 3D programs. It's certainly been enough for me to consider replacing my current 62" in my theater room with a 3D capable monitor. I was disappointed to hear Jim's comments on the Panasonic, as that is the one I've been leaning toward...

Thanks, Steven

Importing BR 3D Movies

...also curious, since the Blu Ray disks are what hold the 3D movies, can they be imported with a Kscape BR reader and vault?

Thanks, Steven

...also curious, since the Blu Ray disks are what hold the 3D movies, can they be imported with a Kscape BR reader and vault?

Thanks, Steven

Don't know for sure, but in any case they cannot be played back because the player must be a 3D capable player. (I'll ask, but still moot.)

Jim

Hey,

We just got a Sony 42" 3D television, glasses and PS3. I've found it very cool, and it does enhance the viewing of a movie. I was also pleasantly surprised to see that when my DirecTV receiver was connected to it, it recognized 3D capability and now allows me to see those 3D channels. They've had some basketball games, a Jane's Addition concert, and some other interesting (and very nice looking) 3D programs. It's certainly been enough for me to consider replacing my current 62" in my theater room with a 3D capable monitor. I was disappointed to hear Jim's comments on the Panasonic, as that is the one I've been leaning toward...

Thanks, Steven

Please don't let my comments turn you off of the Panny. Video, although having distinct and measureable performance levels, is also very subjective. If it were not, then many, many, displays currently being sold would still be on store shelves!:)

I'm spoiled with my Pio Elites (111's, 141's and 151's) and I measure all other displays against those models. There are no better Blacks and the color accuracy is just the best, as is the ability to calibrate the panels. That said, Panny's VT series is an excellent performer. Having seen the competition (including Samsung's best series), I still give the nod to the Panny, but again, reasonable "eyes" may differ. Personally, I saw too much cross-talk with the other 3D panels out there which is why I'm glad he sent me a Plasma. The Panny also has very good 2D performance. You might also consider waiting at this point for the VT30 series, which some "rumors" indicate may be integrating more of the Kuro technology, we'll see.

Jim

That's a shame about the pany. Love my nearly three year old 141. Would have hoped that pany had their sh$t together by now. Need another display and still not sold on LED

I agree Mike, but like me you are spoiled as well. I suggest seeing the Panny's and judge for yourself.

Jim

3DTV Interest Modest Despite 60% HDTV Household Penetration

By : Erik Gruenwedel | Posted: 28 Dec 2010
egruenwedel@questex.com

More than 60% of households in the United States have at least one high-definition television, compared to just 12% of households in 2005, while consumer interest in 3DTV remains reserved, according to a new report.

Leichtman Research Group in Durham, N.H., said 26% of households have multiple HDTVs compared to just 1% in 2005.

Despite 80% of adult consumers in a survey of 1,034 respondents indicating they were familiar with the concept of 3DTV, only 8% said they are interested in purchasing one. To date, less than 1% of households have a 3D-compatible HDTV.

The latter percentage helped undermine Best Buy’s most recent fiscal period where sales of high-end consumer electronics, including 3DTV and connected TVs, through Black Friday (Nov. 26) fell below expectations.

Consumer CE buying habits continue to reflect the general economy as sales of HDTV units below $1,000 topped 60%, compared to 48% in 2009 and 34% in 2008 before the recession.

Further hindering 3DTV growth is scant availability of 3D Blu-ray movies, with studios releasing less than 20 titles in the format through the end of 2010, according to industry experts.

“With modest consumer demand for 3D-capable TVs, the potential growth of 3DTV will rely on a continued push of 3DTV by manufacturers and retailers, as well as the fact that about one-fifth of all U.S. households purchase a new TV each year,” said analyst Bruce Leichtman.

Leichtman said there is light at the end of the 3DTV tunnel as 24% of respondents who have seen 3DTV rated it from 8 to10, with 10 being excellent. About 18% of all households plan to purchase a new TV set in the next 12 months.

http://www.homemediamagazine.com/3-...t-despite-60-hdtv-household-penetration-21524

IMHO the way for the industry to get everyone to adopt 3D tv is to basically make it a no cost extra- so when you replace your 2D TV, you get 3D whether you like it or not. Then as the content comes along you'll already have it and then they will find people willing to pay for ESPN 3D etc.

http://www.homemediamagazine.com/3-...t-despite-60-hdtv-household-penetration-21524

IMHO the way for the industry to get everyone to adopt 3D tv is to basically make it a no cost extra- so when you replace your 2D TV, you get 3D whether you like it or not. Then as the content comes along you'll already have it and then they will find people willing to pay for ESPN 3D etc.

I have no interest in 3D for a number of reasons with the key reasons being that i) I have no desire to wear glasses ii) I have no desire to compromise any aspect of video quality [i.e. resolution, colour accuracy, brightness, etc.] iii) I have no interest in the narrow area one has to sit...

Now should all of the above change then I would be interested...

Same here- Im just saying if the industry wants another revenue source, then they would be wise to take the long view and just include 3D- stop making 2D TVs and keep the prices the same or even better- drop them.

I suspect it will not be long until most new TV's are 3D enabled even if is not used. In Europe the sports broadcasters are pushing 3D hard and the deals are getting attractive too many.

I should not have to purchase any new panels for several years. 3D is not for me yet but I expect the viewer experience to change and/or improve in that time....probably by a lot.

Having now spent 10+ hours (not straight thru) watching 3D on the 65" Panny, I'm still surprised that it actually looks that good. I didn't like what I'd seen at shows and in the stores, but clearly there were compromises at those locations that do not exist in my home, which may be the difference.

I'm still NOT a 3D person, love my Elite panels, will not be changing those anytime soon, and do not plan to implement 3D in my theatre/media room. Immersive or not, I'm not interested in 14' wide 3D and I'm not willing to give up the Sim2 HT5000e, it's just too good an image.

I've decided it's the glasses that I dislike (color, light and rez were acceptable, not videophile quality, but acceptable), so I'll continue to watch the occasional 3D movie going forward.

Jim

Back