• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

3D video - Do you care?

It's about time 4K panels are trickling in. Enough of the 3D stuff, everytime I see it I like it less and less.

An acquaintance of mine was going to have a B&O 103" plasma installed in his basement. The installation procedure we developed was to extend the basement beyond that of house's external wall. Then have a relatively easy to access "plasma hatch" installed so the panel would be easy to lower into position. Changing or upgrading the panel at a later date would not be excessively disruptive using this technique.

I though this approach was a good solution but the costs incurred would have bought a very good projector based system.

Exactly, that is the problem. If I had one installed it would require temporarily removing a section of exterior wall to put it in a basement area. That's a lot of work.

Jim

WELL THEN I THINK PANASONIC SHOULD BE PAYING US TO INSTALL THEIR SCREEN. I AM WILLING TO PAY FOR THE WORK IF THEY ARE WILLING TO DONATE THE SCREEN!!!
:D

I doubt it, that looks to read almost exactly like the same disclaimer they have been using for decades, except now it includes the word "3D."

Sign me up for one of those donated plasmas, I'm not picky enough to say 2D-only. Would even keep my scowling internal at having to use active-shutter glasses if I got to watch them try to deliver it (these things are all FOB installation point, right?)

Maybe you're right- but my experience is people are pretty hysterical. Remember the whole Prius flap? One of the accidents occured right in front of me- a lady drove her Prius (almost into me!!) into a wall and it was because she was so freaked out that her Prius was sooo dangerous that she pressed the throttle instead of the brakes as she was coming out of her driveway. Guess what- the only dangerous thing about the car was her. What people fail to realize is the two most important components of any car are: driver and tires.

Please don't let my comments turn you off of the Panny. Video, although having distinct and measureable performance levels, is also very subjective. If it were not, then many, many, displays currently being sold would still be on store shelves!:)

I'm spoiled with my Pio Elites (111's, 141's and 151's) and I measure all other displays against those models. There are no better Blacks and the color accuracy is just the best, as is the ability to calibrate the panels. That said, Panny's VT series is an excellent performer. Having seen the competition (including Samsung's best series), I still give the nod to the Panny, but again, reasonable "eyes" may differ. Personally, I saw too much cross-talk with the other 3D panels out there which is why I'm glad he sent me a Plasma. The Panny also has very good 2D performance. You might also consider waiting at this point for the VT30 series, which some "rumors" indicate may be integrating more of the Kuro technology, we'll see.

Jim

I have the Panny 65VT25 and love it. I never had the pleasure of seeing a KURO in action and I know that was/is the Reference, but I am very happy with the Panny.

I got it last June when they first came out because I was in the market for a new large screen flat panel at that time. 3D was an after thought...I just wanted a good display at 60-65" and my dealer recommended it and the 3D for me was more of an "oh and it's 3D too, that's good-it will be "future-proof".

I have watched very little 3D on it (mainly because there ain't much to watch), Christmas Carol/Coraline and some sports here and there, but that's it. The 3D Broadcasts are "meh" IMHO. the 3D Blu-Ray, particularly animation is where it shines-and even then it is more of a novelty to watch here and there.

We have Comcast/Xfinity and they have more and more (ESPN 3D has some hoops and college football) and HBO has some On-Demand along with some limited 3D on-demand. I saw an ad for the BCS National Championship which was basically a 3D highlight reel of Oregon and Auburn and that looked great, but that was edited pretty tight so you saw the "Best shots"-not sure if I'd sit through a whole game....basketball bored me after about 10 minutes.

The glasses that came with it at the time are horrible (big and bulky and heavy) and I couldn't sit for very long with them on, Panny has better/more fitted glasses in sizes (S,M,L) that are much more comfortable. The annoying thing is that my couch is about 15-18 ft away from the display and I am flickering in and out of range at that distance, so I have to sit in a different chair which is off-axis or move it to get within the range.

Just got 3D Avatar, but haven't watched it yet. Here is one of the things that kills possible mass adoption of the format. By making Avatar a Panasonic exclusive, I guess that might help sell more Panasonics, but doesn't help with mass adoption of the format when only panasonic owners have reasonable access to the largest grossing movie ever in 3D (unless they want to pay $100+ on ebay).

All that being said, the 3D is nice to check out every so often, but I wouldn't have gone out to get a 3D TV, I would still be trying to get the best display and 3D would be an option like Netflix access which is nice to have but not a requirement.

Thanks Mars. Your comments echo many other happy VT25 owners. My comments sound critical, and when comparing to the Elite panels they are, but my opinion should not be taken by anyone as a professional evaluation of the VT25. I happen to like the Panny's and believe the VT25 series is an excellent panel, perhaps the best available at the moment. I would just like to see more of the Kuro tech included in Panny's panels.:)

Jim

Back