• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

What's the one feature...

Fwiw, I don't have this issue when I use my Blu-ray player (Oppo 203) or the AppleTV 4K unit.

Understood, and that's the reason I deleted my comment and decided to test that in my system here. (Thank you.)

Jim

Consolidated TV Show Interface:

Option for the Cover view to consolidate all the TV seasons under one Panel entry so visually the entire series looks like a single move entry.

This would be an option, and a simple implementation of the concept that would give those who want a way to consolidate their TV series collection and for those who don't, they do not have to enable it.

When enabled, the following changes are made in the Cover view UI regarding TV seasons of the same series:

1. The cover art for the TV series panel on the covers view represents the entire series. Among the following options that could be implemented as what cover to use- not as options to the user, just to debate here- are that the cover of the newest season either in the library or available on the Kaleidescape Store is used, the oldest cover with the same choice, the most complete season in the library, or some other selection that would most visually signal to the user what TV series is represented by this one cover panel.

2. Name and description used in the small slide-out panel are the general TV series name and description.

3. When clicked, the panel comes up that looks identical to the existing panel format, with the following changes:

- The first option under "Return" is "Play Episode" which when clicked opens to a menu identical to the existing side menu format like what is used under Play Scene in movie entries.
- Entries under this option are listed in order of oldest on top to newest on bottom
- Each Episode has its own entry for direct access to the episode. The episode starts playing when an episode entry is clicked.
- Exiting playback brings the user back to the TV Season panel with the "Play Episode" menu expanded
- Episodes are listed with their season and episode number before their title, "S2 E1: They said that to me at a dinner"
- Each season has its own entry to just click and start watching a season from the beginning.
- Seasons are listed simply named as "Season 1," "Season 2," etc. and they appear at the start of the list of episode entries to break up the seasons in the menu list visually.

That's it. I don't think the list view needs this option at least right now as it is much easier to scroll there, I suppose an option for this in the list view could be done some time in the future, but for now, this option in the covers view would make navigation a lot easier for people with large collections of TV series.

1. The cover art for the TV series panel on the covers view represents the entire series. Among the following options that could be implemented as what cover to use- not as options to the user, just to debate here- are that the cover of the newest season either in the library or available on the Kaleidescape Store is used, the oldest cover with the same choice, the most complete season in the library, or some other selection that would most visually signal to the user what TV series is represented by this one cover panel.
Why not add "oldest unwatched" to the list of options?

Return of MusicDB support/updates for Premiere system owners. Or at the very least, put a function in the web interface where we can put multiple CD albums under one coverart.
And given we are only supposed to list one feature here and I know I'm wasting my breath that K will do any more development of the Premiere system, roll out the K-store to other markets. It's ridiculous I can't own a 4K Kaleidescape source in Australia.

Consolidated TV Show Interface:

Option for the Cover view to consolidate all the TV seasons under one Panel entry so visually the entire series looks like a single move entry.

This would be an option, and a simple implementation of the concept that would give those who want a way to consolidate their TV series collection and for those who don't, they do not have to enable it.

When enabled, the following changes are made in the Cover view UI regarding TV seasons of the same series:

2. Name and description used in the small slide-out panel are the general TV series name and description.

3. When clicked, the panel comes up that looks identical to the existing panel format, with the following changes:

- The first option under "Return" is "Play Episode" which when clicked opens to a menu identical to the existing side menu format like what is used under Play Scene in movie entries.
- Entries under this option are listed in order of oldest on top to newest on bottom
- Each Episode has its own entry for direct access to the episode. The episode starts playing when an episode entry is clicked.
- Exiting playback brings the user back to the TV Season panel with the "Play Episode" menu expanded
- Episodes are listed with their season and episode number before their title, "S2 E1: They said that to me at a dinner"
- Each season has its own entry to just click and start watching a season from the beginning.
- Seasons are listed simply named as "Season 1," "Season 2," etc. and they appear at the start of the list of episode entries to break up the seasons in the menu list visually.

That's it. I don't think the list view needs this option at least right now as it is much easier to scroll there, I suppose an option for this in the list view could be done some time in the future, but for now, this option in the covers view would make navigation a lot easier for people with large collections of TV series.
This is a well thought-out intermediate solution that, to me, seems like it would be an easier solution to implement. You seem to have put a lot of thought into this to address some of the issues while trying to minimize work needed on K’s end.

I appreciate this and these changes would help improve my annoyance with watching TV series.

John

I forgot the absolute biggest grievance I have with Kscape: I'd like to be able to rewind a few seconds and not have to wait for the sound processor to re-establish the connection. I have to rewind an extra 20 seconds or so if I want to catch the little bit I missed.
It is interesting. When I use the “Skip-Back” command with HD content, I do not lose audio sink. However, with HDR content, I do get a 3-4 second delay before audio locks on again.

John

I can double check, but I'm 99% sure it happens with HD content. (I also have 1 SD movie so I can try that as well.) FWIW, I'm using a Lumagen video processor and an JBL SDP-75 (basically a Trinnov) for audio processing.

The audio re-sync issue happens on my Alto and Strato-C both, and they're directly connected to my Onkyo AV receiver.

It is interesting. When I use the “Skip-Back” command with HD content, I do not lose audio sink. However, with HDR content, I do get a 3-4 second delay before audio locks on again.

John
I should add that all my HD/SD content goes to my Premiere system with an m300 player paired with a Strato C. So this could be the difference. I have Lumagen and Trinnov processor.

I will try downloading HD content to my Terra system later on tonight and try again through my Strato C.

John

Last edited:
I should add that all my HD/SD content goes to my Premiere system with an m300 player paired with a Strato C. So this could be the difference. I have Lumagen and Trinnov processor.

I will try downloading HD content to my Terra system later on tonight and try again through my Strato C.

John
OK, I tried an HD concert that was downloaded and played by my Strato C and I get audio delays when doing Skip-Back unlike with my M300 player.

John

Here's one I haven't seen mentioned...perhaps it exists somewhere I'm not aware of.

I'd love the ability in the store to see how much server space would be required to house my entire collection locally. A quick glance at all the movies I've purchased and the total space requirement to download all titles, according to the download quality preferences I have set.

Just to know, for those of us who are rotating content through...

Here's one I haven't seen mentioned...perhaps it exists somewhere I'm not aware of.

I'd love the ability in the store to see how much server space would be required to house my entire collection locally. A quick glance at all the movies I've purchased and the total space requirement to download all titles, according to the download quality preferences I have set.

Just to know, for those of us who are rotating content through...
Isn't that a report you/your dealer can request from support?

My wish list (in addition to others mentioned earlier);

1. More sort options. Sort by "Date Added" would be great, so I can see more recently purchased movies first.
2. Option to turn off horizontal scrolling.
3. Show all movies owned (downloaded and not downloaded). For movies that aren't downloaded, show a small download icon on its movie poster.
4. Ability to define Sort Name. For example, I want to define the sort name "Star Wars IV" for "Star Wars: A New Hope", etc. so all Star Wars movies are displayed in episodic order (or, "purists" can define its sort name as "Star Wars 1976" to sort the Star Wars movies by release year).

4. Ability to define Sort Name. For example, I want to define the sort name "Star Wars IV" for "Star Wars: A New Hope", etc. so all Star Wars movies are displayed in episodic order (or, "purists" can define its sort name as "Star Wars 1976" to sort the Star Wars movies by release year).
You have the ability to edit movie details which includes editing the name. You can go ahead and rename as “Star Wars IV“ so they show in order. I think I did this on the Harry Potter movies.

John

In case of the Star Wars movies, they are already called "Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope" etc.

That said, sorting has Episode IX after IV...

Screenshot 2023-05-05 at 13.06.02.png

But to @JohnJ 's point, if you're in your local interface (my-kaleidescape.local), and you click on a movie, you should have a button to "EDIT MOVIE DETAILS", in which you can adjust parameters, such as name, to your liking.

The Hobbit has the same issue. Desolation of Smaug is the 2nd movie, but it comes after Battle of Five Armies (the last movie) alphabetically.

You have the ability to edit movie details which includes editing the name. You can go ahead and rename as “Star Wars IV“ so they show in order. I think I did this on the Harry Potter movies.

John

What I had in mind is a new field, "Sort Title", which is different than Title. With other sources (such as Apple TV and Plex), "Sort Title", if defined, is used for sorting purposes when the OSD calls for sorting movies alphabetically. However, the Sort Title isn't displayed. The actual Title will still be used for display purposes. For example, I gave Star Trek movies the Sort Title of "Star Trek <year>" (after the original set of Star Trek movies, using roman numerals (e.g. Star Trek IV) no longer made sense. But, I don't want to see "Star Trek <year>" as the name of the movie in the OSD.

So sort by production year or something similar?

John

Back