• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

CONFIRMED FIXED: Wall-E Problems

Canuck

Hello... I'm having the same problem (first time ever) with Wall-E, the widescreen version. I've imported another movie after that, and I can watch Wall-E off the player without importing it, so that rules out problems with both the hardware and the DVD itself.... seems like a software problem.

I'm running version 3.6.6-6200 which appeared yesterday.

I haven't yet heard back from support.

Did you get any message regarding why it would not import, or did you abort it manually believing that it would not import (because it was taking a long time)?

I only ask because on occasion we do see releases that take a VERY long time to import. I know historically I've had at least a half-dozen movies that had load times exceeding 2 hours.

Jim

No, it failed -- and instantly. The Status on the import log (where it usually says "Completed" instead shows "DVD cannot be imported"

It comes up like that right away, within seconds.

I've got the 3-disc version of Wall-E and I get the same problem. Just to be sure, I tried importing it in my Kplayer-6000 (1080p Player) and also my original KReader. Neither one loads it. Disc ejects in about 10 seconds and the Import page shows "DVD cannot be imported" - just like Canuck is reporting.

UGH - here we go again with the arms race again between Kaleidescape and the disc makers. Frankly, I'm surprised that they can keep coming up with techniques that mess up Kaleidescape but don't cause problems for regular disc players.

I'll follow-up with K in the morning and report back.

Jim

I have the same problem with Wall•E 3 disc set. :( Ive got the K player 5000 with the latest software. Ironic that this month's Sound and Vision has a nice story with the director of Wall•E who loves his K Scape.... I wonder how he feels about this! :O

Obviously I've got the same problem with the Wall-E DVD. I admit I get this pang of nervousness that one day the studios will encode all of the DVDs in a manner that the K cannot decode/rip...and it'll be the end of the road for this investment. Then I wake up in a cold sweat. :eek:

I look forward to hearing that this is resolved. My kids are on a fierce Wall-E kick and this physical media stuff is such a drag. ;)

K is working to resolve this issue. It WILL get fixed.:)

Jim

Thank you Jim and K. I wonder what they are doing to cause this problem. I also wonder if its just K or if they are trying to combat the DVD ripping software that many PC users have?

In any event- pardon me here- but GOOD?E that we will soon be able to add Wall?E to our libraries. Great movie.

I hope K can do this faster than Hairspray... that one took them about 6 or 8 months to fix I think.

For what it's worth, the folks at AnyDVD (PC ripping software) also ran into problems with Wall-E, but they came out with a fix in 24 hours for the problem and AnyDVD can now properly rip that disk. (http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=22379) I hope that means K can solve the problem soon too... but the exact same thing happened with Hairspray. Fixed quickly at AnyDVD, not fixed for many many months at Kaleidescape.

--josh

There is a work around of sorts. The basic idea is to copy the disc using something like DVDfab and then load it. For what ever reason the errors that are embedded and hang up the kscape are gone in the copy. You will also have to manually enter the info if you only copy part of the disc such as the main movie. Not a perfect solution but it did get Wall E loaded for the kids.

Hmmm... would work, but it's a lot of effort and you'll lose a lot of the K functionality. (metadata, scene sharing, jump to movie start...)

That's good to hear. Before you moved the thread, I was going to ask if the Leatherheads issues were successfully resolved to see what the Wall-E chances were...the Leatherheads thread just falls away with no resolution. Oh my!

I was told several days before Wall-E came out that there would be problems with import. I don't remember the exact reason but it had something to do with when the disc starts it makes the Kaleidescape Server think that it needs more space than the server has available.

I was also told that Letherheads should load now, but as of last week I was still having problems. I do know they are working on these issues.

sorry if I confused people by separating the leatherheads and Wall-E discussions. I thought it would be easier to track each issue if they had their own threads. Also makes it easier for new users who come here to research an issue to find the right thread. We've had several new users come join this board just because they went online to find out why Wall-E wouldn't load in their new Kaleidescape systems.

Good move Josh. Btw- for what its worth, I popped Wall E into my computer and the computer thinks the disc is like 58 GB in size. Clearly too large for a DVD. That is probably what is faking out the K system. What K needs to do is simply tell the system when it sees the Wall E DVD, to ignore this and import it anyway.

That's interesting Jerry. Must be a lot packed into that disk!

Jim

Back