• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

CONFIRMED FIXED: Wall-E Problems

Okay guys, I just finished the import test for Wall-E and Chronicles of Narnia Prince Caspian and I'm happy to report that they both imported in normal import speed and work fine.:)

I've got Reservation Road and Leatherheads in now and although taking a little more time, they appear to be importing as well. I'll give feedback on those later, but it all looks good!!:)

K will continue a few more tests and release the new software version ASAP (should be 3.6.7), so hang in there, the fix should be on the way shortly.

Thanks to K and their awesome tech staff (Andy!!) for pushing this out!:):)

Jim

For all of you "Leatherhead" fans (all 3 of you :D), I'm happy to report it will now import with the new software. It takes quite awhile (2+ hours) (not K's fault), but it does work. I'm still waiting for Reservation Road to finish, but it looks like it will work as well (just takes time!). I'll update this later.

Jim

Reservation Road is imported. Import time is about 3 hours.

So just to recap, Wall-E, Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian, Leatherheads, and Reservation Road will all import with the new software. As mentioned above, once K is satisfied that all is well with this new version it will make it's way to all owners. Should be very soon!:)

Jim

Wow, that's big news, and definitely very nice to hear. Glad to see they seem to have tackled this particular set of issues.
Thanks Jim!

Thank you again to Kaliedescape and Jim and of course also Josh for maintaining this great resource for us.

Thanks Jerry. I think Josh would agree that this site has little value without the contributions from all of the owner's, like you, that take the time to share their K experiences. It's all fun!!:)

Jim

Wall-E importing!

I was very pleasantly surprised to receive a call from Kaleidescape today, to specifically advise me that a new OS had been uploaded and that the import should now work.

True to their word, I've popped it in there and it seems to be importing just fine. Thanks -- and I'm surprised and appreciative of the phone call -- that's terrific customer service.

As a side note to the thread (I hadn't checked in for a couple of weeks), there was a discussion regarding the studios doing this on purporse and potentially messing up exisiting players and causing recalls, etc.

I found it incredibly incredibly interesting (I'm a software developer, this sort of thing interests me...) that the disc would read/play perfectly fine, just not import. I'm not familiar with the guts of all of this -- how a DVD is encoded, how it's encrypred, how Kaleidescape deals with that "unpeeling" and re-encoding and so on... but truly, this seems to have been a software issue entirely. For anybody to be able to fool "newer" software (which K is) and not break exisiting, older technology... that's a pretty impressive and difficult thing to do.

I don't know how much more of this we can expect to see if the future, or whether the Wall-E fix addresses an entire "scope" of problems and this is now a thing of the past. We'll find out in the near future.

As someone else mentioned, a one-off fix is usually the wrong way to deal with things like this... you patch the dam somewhere, and another leak cracks through very soon... but sometimes, in the short-run, it makes most sense, ie, "Let's get Wall-E working, then figure out how to fix the general case".

If anyone has some insight with respect to this aspect of it, I'd be interested to hear.

Thank you again to Kaliedescape and Jim and of course also Josh for maintaining this great resource for us.
My pleasure. As Jim points out, it's all the users that make this work, and the very knowledgable people like Jim and many others that give the real expertise around here. My part is easy. I truly enjoy it too.

I've been away for a while with my KScape 5U turned off. I'm still running 3.6.6-6200.

How often does the system go out and look for updates? I'd like to import Wall-E and Leatherheads!

Thx

:cool:

I've been away for a while with my KScape 5U turned off. I'm still running 3.6.6-6200.

How often does the system go out and look for updates? I'd like to import Wall-E and Leatherheads!

It checks at bootup and again at fairly regular intervals. It should show up fairly soon.

Just recieved the new update in the UK and Wall-e has imported fine. Great work by the K people and all on the forum who chased this one up.

Just got it too, and also happy to have gotten Wall-E imported!

Thanks Jim for tracking it through Kaleidescape.

WALL-E in, but DOH! Kung-Fu Panda won't rip. In this case, I'm not receiving the same message I received when WALL-E couldn't import, but rather it just stays on 0% imported indefinitely.

Has anyone successfully gotten Kung-Fu Panda imported?

Or, if so, has anyone successfully gotten Kung-Fu Panda imported after the recent software update?

Thanks,

Sam

WALL-E in, but DOH! Kung-Fu Panda won't rip. In this case, I'm not receiving the same message I received when WALL-E couldn't import, but rather it just stays on 0% imported indefinitely.

I bought Kung Fu Panda on Blu-ray so unfortunately I can't test it out for you. I haven't heard anyone else complain about it though. How long did you leave it in the drive? There are some titles that don't appear to make any progress in importing for hours before they finally complete.

Nevermind. False alarm on Kung Fu Panda! Server was caught in limbo.

I took a closer look in the web interface and noticed that after an intial failed attempt to import Kung Fu Panda that each subsequent attempt left a message in the web UI that said, "DVD already imported" - even though it hadn't ever successfully imported and did not appear in my movie list.

After 8 or so unsuccessful tries and then discovering the "DVD already imported" message, I decided to reboot the server and give it one more try...and SUCCESS!

So I'm really sorry for the false alarm. I don't want to chalk this up to user error other than I should have checked the web UI earlier, but I guess it's a reminder that even the Kaleidescape can benefit from a reboot once and a while. :rolleyes:

Back