• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Video of Modular Disc Vault

Thanks Tom, looks like a nice setup at CEDIA, would have liked to have been there but we are down to the last week or so before delivery!:)

Jim

Thank you Tom. Your presentation is excellent- very factual and without the usual sales hype that some companies present. The more I have thought how you have dealt with the issues surrounding Blu Ray, the more impressed I am with your creative approach.

Are you going to pimp up the Vault chassis to make it look Kaleidescape, or is it going to be just as in the video?

Brodric,

The Modular Disc Vault is a third-party changer with some firmware modifications by Kaleidescape. We aren't modifying the appearance. The Integrated Disc Vault, which we're designing and manufacturing from the ground up, will carry our industrial design.

Tom

Thanks Tom. Im waiting on the IDV and I am simply hoping that you will include on board high res audio decoding.

On board hi Rez decoding would allow it to work with the meridian system, correct? Over hdmi?

If I understand this correctly, the Modular Vault is only being used to write a copy of the BR disc to the server via an M-Class player connected to it via USB, and to store the disc to allow playback from the server. Playback still must come from an M-Class player, in which case you still have the audio decoding limitation.

IDV

I think the integrated disk vault will have a player built in from what I have read. Tom(from Kaleidescape) is probably the best one to comment on this if he can give details of the IDV.

I would think the IDV would have to be at least a 4-5u device, potentially there would be room to build a place for an optional decoder board for those who wanted this feature.

It's going to be a long year but i'll wait for the IDV.

Being build ground up to K's specs, and the extra disc storage, will be worth it. Waiting to play BR until then will be painful. Hopefully they are on track, and there will be no delays.

Tom, do you yet know the size of the unit? Moviefan and others have guessed at a 5u height. Building my room and rack now and would like to plan ahead for this necessary piece. Thanks

If I understand this correctly, the Modular Vault is only being used to write a copy of the BR disc to the server via an M-Class player connected to it via USB, and to store the disc to allow playback from the server. Playback still must come from an M-Class player, in which case you still have the audio decoding limitation.

That is correct, but what Jerry (and iansilv) are referring to is the "hope" that the "IDV" (to be released next year) will decode the hi rez codecs onboard before sending the signal to the player, thus sending the player LPCM instead of bitstream.

Jim

I think the integrated disk vault will have a player built in from what I have read. Tom(from Kaleidescape) is probably the best one to comment on this if he can give details of the IDV.

I would think the IDV would have to be at least a 4-5u device, potentially there would be room to build a place for an optional decoder board for those who wanted this feature.

Agreed, and probably a 5u unit. I think it would be nearly impossible to build a 3u unit that has the ability to do all that it must (import/rotate/store/electronics/power, etc) considering the physical size of a disc.

That said, if I were Mike I'd plan on a 5u, and leave additional space (which is always wise when planning a rack).

Jim

I wonder if the MDV and IDV can be used concurrently (and seamlessly) in order to provide 400-disc storage/playback? That way, the MDV could be purchased now without fear that it would become useless if one wanted to purchase the IDV next year.

I believe that is the case Joe but I don't know

For the record I don't care about size, I can "absorb" a 5U or even 10U unit. I will require several of these units....

For a person who's held off buying BlueRay discs until this type of solution was available (I don't want to repeat the nightmare of hunting for a particular disk amongst hundreds ever again), buying a modular vault now while building up the collection and moving to the IDV later as the collection size gets larger would be a nice option. Not sure what their plans for chaining these devices are, though.

I think that I'm going to go with 2 72" racks from middle atlantic. Thanks Jim. Can never have enough space!

I think that I'm going to go with 2 72" racks from middle atlantic. Thanks Jim. Can never have enough space!

Agreed, I learned that lesson the hard way, had to change rack systems twice before I realized it is better to add blank face plates on open space and have those available for additional gear. I also like the MA racks.:)

I wonder if the MDV and IDV can be used concurrently (and seamlessly) in order to provide 400-disc storage/playback? That way, the MDV could be purchased now without fear that it would become useless if one wanted to purchase the IDV next year.

This will not be a problem. As a dealer I will have both units, and plan to have both for personal use as well.

Jim

So if the IDV has an inbuilt player then there's no need for an M300/500? And, is there any prospect that one day in the future it will be possible to write a BR disc to a server from a M500 and not need to store the disc in the IDV, same as what we do now for DVD? Or has Kaleidescape completely abandoned that idea? It's just that there is no prospect of me freeing up 5U of space in the rack and I'd like to store all my BR discs in a box in the cupboard.

Back