• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Vault ejecting and erasing discs

Derek20

I’ve had my Kaleidescape system for about 5 years and it’s run without incident until recently. Several months ago I noticed the disc vault was displaying the following error message: “One disc must be ejected. Press OK to begin.” I did so and tried to reload the disc to no avail. I then took the disc to my computer and it appeared to be unrecognizable or “blank”. Thinking this was a one off, and not being a movie I really even cared for, I didn’t think much of it until about a week later when the same thing happened. Now I’m losing about disc per week and am down well over a dozen movies! What’s happening? The store that installed my system thought it could be a dirty head but how does that explain the erasing of my discs? Anyone ever heard of this issue? Please help!

Attachments

• 583984C7-5446-4F6D-9817-00CCA37D72C1.jpeg
    583984C7-5446-4F6D-9817-00CCA37D72C1.jpeg
    50.9 KB · Views: 15
I doubt it's "erasing" the disc, but it may be unreadable for a different reason (layer separation, etc.). Shouldn't happen, but does. I always wondered if storing discs in a vault versus in their original case affects longevity. There is certainly more ambient heat in a vault stored situation versus a case, but not sure that's the cause. One thing for sure is that not all discs are manufactured to the same standard, this is evident by examining discs you've had in storage for a long time. I've seen "bubbles" between layers, peeling of edges on a few, significant discoloration, etc.. Again, not sure this affects the ability to read the disc, but seems logical to me.

The Vault occasionally runs an "inventory" check of discs to insure they are still in the Vault. It does not check all discs during inventory, but those it does check obviously need to be readable, or you will get that message. Most of us with Vaults have received that message at some point, many of us multiple times. I've already had to remove a couple dozen discs over the last few years, and had a day that I lost 3 movies from the same Vault. I could get all of them to play in a separate player except one, and that was unrecognizable to any of my optical drive base Players. Unfortunately, you'll get little help from K on this subject, there apparently isn't anything they can do (I base that on asking many times in the past, but there is no good answer). So, we have no choice but to tolerate the problem because of the disc storage requirement for BR content. If the movie is important to you, try another copy (preferably new).

Jim

Last edited:
Also make sure your computer has a Blu-ray drive and not just a DVD drive.

Kevin

Was it a Criterion disc by any chance? I have had this happen as well and there is a known problem with certain of their (mostly older) discs. I believe there is an exchange program set up for those affected, but I do not have any details at this time.

Wayne

I have had three discs go bad on me that I don't have an easy solution for. One was Teen Wolf, which is available in the Kscape store, but there is no disc to digital version so I would have to pay full price for it. the other two are more annoying - one is a disc from a season of Mad Men so I would need to buy a new full season. the last one is a disc from Battlestar Galactica and it was from the complete collection. I also had a fourth disc with this problem but I was able to just do a disc to digital conversion for a few bucks to circumvent the problem.

There's definitely no way for a vault to erase a disc. Commercial disks are physically pressed, not recorded on any kind of erasable medium. What can happen, though, is that a disc can go bad over time, due to the manufacturing process.

Thanks to all for you comments. It's clear to me now that the word "erase" was a poor choice on my part. I have since verified that the discs are indeed readable on another player I have. So the discs are not, I reiterate, being "erased." However, the issue with my Kaleidescape disc vault remains. I have tried to reload the discs into the vault, and, for some reason, the vault cannot read them anymore. I've tried erasing the movies from my Kaleidescape system and reloading from "scratch" to no avail, too. The, for good measure, I tried loading another disc that wasn't ever in my system, and it won't read it. Each time, the system tries to process the disc, but ends up asking me to eject it, saying the disc is "unreadable: either inverted or dirty?" The disc is neither. Since the problem is not with the disc, I'm assuming there's a problem with my vault? Any ideas?

It sounds like the disc drive in the vault may be failing or has failed. It is not an uncommon issue especially in aging vaults. If it is under warranty, it may be covered. If not, they used to sell replacement drives. Hopefully they still do. It is not a difficult install and the instructions are very good. I would contact your dealer or Kaleidescape Support for more help in diagnosis to find the best remedy.

Wayne

If it isn't a problem with the discs, then likely the hardware, and as Wayne noted the next likely cause is a bad BR drive. Replacements ARE available from K if you decide to give that a try. Most that have encountered this issue have found the service kit fixed the problem, but you cannot return the BR drive after installation. If you decide to order one, you would order the service kit for Vaults: SVC-KIT-0080, ($400 from K)).

Jim

Back