• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

US BR & 4K Releases for July & August 2022

When you buy a disc, you own the disc and could either sell or give it away as a gift.

When you buy a digital download, it's not fungible. Paying another $20+ for the higher res does nothing except "unlock" the higher resolution.

There is a big difference between the two because of that.
Exactly. On K you don't need the work to sell the disc for maybe $2 if someone even want's to buy it at all. And yes, some movies are possible to sell and maybe for more than $2. But the majority of discs are non sellable for even $0.

On K you get the discount up front and don't have to work for it with all the fuss with discs and maybe get some cash for it. It's still much better to get $2 in discount on an upgrade instead of 0$.

For me paying $20+ for a 4K disc when I already have it on Blu-Ray equals paying for the upgrade to the higher resolution on K. And I have done that like on 100+ movies before I bought my Kaleidescape system. And I did it without any discount and many of Blu-Rays are non sellable for $2.

Sorry for going off topic in this thread.

I don't really understand all this discussion (on several threads and not only your statement).

Maybe I'm missing something and please let me know if I do.
I never get discount on a 4K disc if I previously bought the same movie on Blu-Ray, DVD or Laserdisc a couple of years or weeks earlier.

Isn't it great to save $2 when you already own it?

I happily bought the same movie for full price several times on Laserdisc and later the same movie again on DVD and later on Blu-Ray and later on 4K disc and now on Kaleidescape. The only time I got discount for already owning the movie was the latest on Kaleidescape. When I bought in 4K disc no one cared I already owned it on Blu-Ray (and several other formats)

What am I missing?
This isn't a pre-recorded media format that is released in stores with extras, packaging and all other sorts of things. This is a digital file and is comparable to other services offering digital files.

Let's look at Paramount recently. Upgrade pricing for stuff like Indiana Jones and The Godfather was like $5-7. Now I am looking at upgrade pricing for some other recent catalog titles:

Enemy at the Gates: Upgrade price is $17.99. The only thing that changes with this is the video quality, period. No other packaging, special feature or audio like you may have with a new disc release. If I look at Enemy at the Gates on iTunes (digital delivery service) the upgrade price is FREE if you already own the title. But even outside of that, if I wanted to outright buy this movie on iTunes from scratch for the 4K HDR version, it is $4.99.

Another example is Stardust. Another 17.99. Free upgrade in iTunes, but even to buy it outright costs less than the UPGRADE in K.

Nearly at the same time we see Varsity Blues with an upgrade price around $7 from the same studio. Again, catalog title, same studio but nearly a $10 difference in upgrade cost compared to these other catalog titles?? To buy the movie in 4K HDR outright on iTunes is $4.99. Sound familiar? So why a nearly $10 discrepancy on K for a movie that is clearly the same cost to Digital distribution outlets from the exact same studio??

Mousehunt, a catalog kids movie costs $34.99 new on K for a 4K version. That is $20 more than the equivalent title on iTunes and $10 more than new day and date titles we've been seeing from Paramount like Top Gun Maverick. Again, HOW DOES THIS MAKE ANY SENSE TO ANYONE let alone sit well with them. Elizabeth town is exactly the same thing and the list goes ON AND ON AN ON.

If prices for studios were more consistent it probably wouldn't be as big of a deal, but that is far from the case and Paramount is probably becoming the worst in this regard. If no one says anything about this, how will it get resolved? When Indiana Jones came out people were trying to figure out why upgrade costs were so high on it. Same thing with Lord of the Rings (that was a clusterF if I've ever seen one). A day or two later K corrected the upgrade price to where we typically saw it from them. This has happened SEVERAL times in the last year, so how do we know that we are not seeing the same thing here? Obviously if K was on the ball with pricing stuff we wouldn't have seen the same issue several times like we did already this year, so how do I or anyone else know that this isn't just more oversight?? I'm placing this ball fully in K's court because at the end of the day it just looks like gouging to me. I love my K system for performance (I own a Strato, Alto and two Terras) but that doesn't mean I'm going to ignore what looks like nearly blatant pricing issues for content. Especially when as a consultant I have clients all the time asking if they should be investing in K and are already balking at the hardware costs. I'd hope that I can tell them that once they get past the high hardware cost of entry there was consistent and competitive pricing for software, but I keep seeing reasons for that to not be the case.

Last edited:
This isn't a pre-recorded media format that is released in stores with extras, packaging and all other sorts of things. This is a digital file and is comparable to other services offering digital files.

Let's look at Paramount recently. Upgrade pricing for stuff like Indiana Jones and The Godfather was like $5-7. Now I am looking at upgrade pricing for some other recent catalog titles:

Enemy at the Gates: Upgrade price is $17.99. The only thing that changes with this is the video quality, period. No other packaging, special feature or audio like you may have with a new disc release. If I look at Enemy at the Gates on iTunes (digital delivery service) the upgrade price is FREE if you already own the title. But even outside of that, if I wanted to outright buy this movie on iTunes from scratch for the 4K HDR version, it is $4.99.

Another example is Stardust. Another 17.99. Free upgrade in iTunes, but even to buy it outright costs less than the UPGRADE in K.

Nearly at the same time we see Varsity Blues with an upgrade price around $7 from the same studio. Again, catalog title, same studio but nearly a $10 difference in upgrade cost compared to these other catalog titles?? To buy the movie in 4K HDR outright on iTunes is $4.99. Sound familiar? So why a nearly $10 discrepancy on K for a movie that is clearly the same cost to Digital distribution outlets from the exact same studio??

Mousehunt, a catalog kids movie costs $34.99 new on K for a 4K version. That is $20 more than the equivalent title on iTunes and $10 more than new day and date titles we've been seeing from Paramount like Top Gun Maverick. Again, HOW DOES THIS MAKE ANY SENSE TO ANYONE let alone sit well with them. Elizabeth town is exactly the same thing and the list goes ON AND ON AN ON.

If prices for studios were more consistent it probably wouldn't be as big of a deal, but that is far from the case and Paramount is probably becoming the worst in this regard. If no one says anything about this, how will it get resolved? When Indiana Jones came out people were trying to figure out why upgrade costs were so high on it. Same thing with Lord of the Rings (that was a clusterF if I've ever seen one). A day or two later K corrected the upgrade price to where we typically saw it from them. This has happened SEVERAL times in the last year, so how do we know that we are not seeing the same thing here? Obviously if K was on the ball with pricing stuff we wouldn't have seen the same issue several times like we did already this year, so how do I or anyone else know that this isn't just more oversight?? I'm placing this ball fully in K's court because at the end of the day it just looks like gouging to me. I love my K system for performance (I own a Strato, Alto and two Terras) but that doesn't mean I'm going to ignore what looks like nearly blatant pricing issues for content. Especially when as a consultant I have clients all the time asking if they should be investing in K and are already balking at the hardware costs. I'd hope that I can tell them that once they get past the high hardware cost of entry there was consistent and competitive pricing for software, but I keep seeing reasons for that to not be the case.
Thank you for clarifying this. And I agree that the prices vary in a strange way. I had my system for 7 months so I'm still kind of new to all this.

But since I'm used to buy discs, and pay full price every time, I think it's awesome to get discount when upgrading. Without having another copy of the same move that takes up shelf space. I promised my wife a certain space for movies (around 3000 movies on different media) but I'm way beyond that space and thought Kaleidescape was the only option to get disc quality without taking up the physical space?

Maybe I'm totally wrong but is actually iTunes comparable with disc and K? When I try to watch a streaming service like Netflix, Disney+ in my cinema room, I get so disappointed of the picture and sound quality. But maybe iTunes is on another level that equals disc and K. If not it makes total sense that the upgrades free. Who would ever watch it anyway? If the quality equals Netflix and Disney+ all movies in every resolution should be free as well on iTunes. But I never seen a movie on iTunes so I may have missed something.

Thank you for clarifying this. And I agree that the prices vary in a strange way. I had my system for 7 months so I'm still kind of new to all this.

But since I'm used to buy discs, and pay full price every time, I think it's awesome to get discount when upgrading. Without having another copy of the same move that takes up shelf space. I promised my wife a certain space for movies (around 3000 movies on different media) but I'm way beyond that space and thought Kaleidescape was the only option to get disc quality without taking up the physical space?

Maybe I'm totally wrong but is actually iTunes comparable with disc and K? When I try to watch a streaming service like Netflix, Disney+ in my cinema room, I get so disappointed of the picture and sound quality. But maybe iTunes is on another level that equals disc and K. If not it makes total sense that the upgrades free. Who would ever watch it anyway? If the quality equals Netflix and Disney+ all movies in every resolution should be free as well on iTunes. But I never seen a movie on iTunes so I may have missed something.
iTunes is not the same quality as K or disc. But in terms of video they are way closer than most give them credit for (if you have good Internet bandwidth) with the audio being more of the compromise. But the counter argument is movies are cheaper there, they are upgraded for free and you can view your library ANYWHERE you want (on the go, phone, pad, TV, etc). So what they lose in quality (which isn't a lot) they make up a HUGE amount of ground in pricing, features and convenience. There is a reason that I am seeing the majority of my clients in the field (I'm a pro calibrator) switching to streaming as their main source of content. K clients are a small percentage, discs systems are getting rare surprisingly but streaming is in EVERY setup now.

The files K gets are the same files that Apple gets, so it is a bit apples to apples from a pricing standpoint. I find it REALLY hard to believe that Apple is completely willing to just swallow the price of EVERY title in their library getting a free 4K HDR upgrade if you already have it if the file costs to them over the previous isn't almost zero. K pricing themselves about $5 more than digital makes lots of sense and I am more than happy to pay that. K pricing themselves $20+ more is not by any stretch of the imagination. If AN UPGRADE costs me almost $20 when buying the same movie outright (and not on sale) on iTunes in 4K HDR is less than $5, something is seriously wrong.

I think this is a useful debate but maybe the relevant posts should be moved to a new thread with a more appropriate heading? I assume a moderator can do that if they feel it’s appropriate. Just conscious that by prolonging it here it may irritate those coming for releases info and maybe more importantly, it may not be noticed by other posters with a valuable viewpoint to express.

TBC I am not precious about that, just conscious that many forums are.

Re the posts above. Right or wrong I have got a reinforced opinion from other posts on here that the files Kaleidescape are ‘not the same’ in that they have access to the ‘studio master files’ and convert without the compression that streamed files use. The ‘quality’ of video ‘can’ achieve, to the eye, similar results with some movies/formats/devices/speeds but the audio in my own experience is markedly different. For me personally the audio has increasingly become ‘the difference’ in the home cinema experience and it is a key factor in our choices.

The other key point, again if correct, but again reinforced on here, has been that the level of pricing is substantially set by the studios, not Kaleidescape. So I am sure they take profit per individual movie title but they aren’t the prime driver for prices of $39.99. That comes from a studio. Whether that has been influenced by other major buyers such as Apple etc etc, I don't know but pricing from some studios seems excessive and as a punter it’s difficult to understand their logic.

Re the original point of upgrades pricing. The same applies, set by studios, the variance is unclear and sometimes is outstanding and sometimes very disappointing. As a customer, we span the studios, hence some of that variance but as cited Paramount seem to vary prices significantly. These questions probably need to go to the studios unless I have the wrong end of the stick. How we influence them is less than clear.

Added in HD from Warner/HBO(TV)

Check out Raised By Wolves (Season 1) on Kaleidescape!

Raised By Wolves (Season 1)

Probably the best recent sci-fi show. The pilot was directed by no other than Ridley Scott and he is producing the entire show as well. I really believe the story happens somewhere between Prometheus and Alien although no such official claims. There are clues that this might be in the Blade Runner universe but many many centuries later. Hbo Max didn’t do the cinematography justice with all the compression artifacts and soft image. Definitely worthy of the hard drive space and the money if you are a hard sci-fi fan.

Check out Raised By Wolves (Season 1) on Kaleidescape!

Raised By Wolves (Season 1)

Probably the best recent sci-fi show. The pilot was directed by no other than Ridley Scott and he is producing the entire show as well. I really believe the story happens somewhere between Prometheus and Alien although no such official claims. There are clues that this might be in the Blade Runner universe but many many centuries later. Hbo Max didn’t do the cinematography justice with all the compression artifacts and soft image. Definitely worthy of the hard drive space and the money if you are a hard sci-fi fan.
Thanks ! Season 2 was added as well

Added in HD with PCM Stereo from Warner/HBO

Added:
Only for Rental so far in UHD/HDR with Dolby Atmos and in HD with DTS-HD MA 7.1

In UHD and in HD with DTS-HD MA 5.1 from Universal

Added:
Only for Rental so far in UHD/HDR with Dolby Atmos and in HD with DTS-HD MA 7.1
Now added for purchase but HD only. Hopefully, UHD and HDR will show up again shortly.

John

ETA: Now available in HDR and HD.

Last edited:
Added in HDR with DTS-HD MA 5.1 from Paramount

Added in HDR with DTS-HD MA 5.1 from Paramount

Added in HD from NBCUniversal(TV)

Added in HD from Warner/HBO(TV)
Edit

Last edited:
Curious why Misery is only UHD, and not HDR like the disc is though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Now available in HDR too!

Now available in HDR too!

So out of curiosity, if you'd already own the movie in 4K UHD, and an 4K HDR version comes out, is that a free upgrade?

So out of curiosity, if you'd already own the movie in 4K UHD, and an 4K HDR version comes out, is that a free upgrade?
I just upgraded to HDR for free. It's not on the Updates page. Go to the movie itself and download the HDR version. (Then delete the UHD if you want to.)

Yes. 4K is a single price tier that includes HDR, SDR ("UHD"), or both, depending upon which assets are available from the studio. If you own a movie and it initially has one of the 4K formats, and then the other becomes available, then you own that version as well and can download if you wish.

Interesting feedback about the Updates page. The current meaning of that page is, "A version of a movie that is currently downloaded to your system has been updated." This page does not show anything related to versions of the movie you don't have on your system already, including if a new version is added. So, for example, if you have the 4K HDR downloaded, and we add Portuguese subtitles to the HD version, you wouldn't see that movie on your Updates page.

If you had purchased the HD version of a movie, and then 4K became available, you'd see that show up on your Digital Offers page, since it would be a quality upgrade that you'd purchase.

In the case of adding the HDR to movie that has an existing 4K UHD version, though, as described above, there's no cost associated so it doesn't show up in Digital Offers. And because it's not a change to a version of the movie you have downloaded, it doesn't show up in Updates.

I'll talk with the team about this. It does seem like this situation of having a different 4K format added belongs somewhere within the Updates concept.

Back