• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Update on Prima Cinema

ptrubey

Hey guys, just wanted to give you guys a first impression on my Prima Cinema install last Friday. As you'll recall, Prima is the first, and only as far as I know, company to ink deals with major studios to allow theatrical release movies into the home. Not a cheap system, more expensive than most Kaleidescape set ups!

Anyways, it is still very much a beta product, and it'll be one or two more software releases before it even has full feature set functionality.

But having said that, I did watch Snow White and the Huntsman Friday night in my theater!

I don't know the exact picture quality specs, but it could easily have been better than blu-ray quality. Sound was uncompressed 7 channel. Both picture and sound were flawless, and I don't know if it was the movie, but the back channel sounds were more pronounced in this movie than I remember many other blu-rays having. Quite nice.

During the system install, they have you swipe your fingerprints on a reader that they leave behind, and before watching any movie, you must swipe your fingerprint. They also individually invisibly watermark the movies.

The system uses the Internet to download the movies - when the system gets going, movies will download the week before release date and then you'll be allowed to watch them opening night. They recommend a minimum 10Mb/s Internet connection with no bandwidth caps.

The user interface is very wow with gorgeous picture stills of the movie you have selected in the background and very high res cover art. It isn't a K replacement in that the hard drive array isn't big enough to store a large number of movies. It is meant to only keep copies of recent movies.

Anyways, just letting folks know that yes, Prima is real, yet still early stage.

Good to hear it's moving along. I'm poised to enter once the bugs are worked out and I'm convinced they'll be around awhile. Plan to be "in" beginning new year.:) Thanks for the update!

Jim

Can you tell us if Brave or Dark knight Rises are available to purchase? Are there any studios not on board?

They are still signing up studios so yes indeed there are more to sign up. Brave and dark knight are not yet available but I think I heard dark knight is coming shortly. This isn't a released product yet, still early beta, so the movie selection is still a bit thin.

Thank you very much. Honestly, this sounds like one heck of a nice toy if everything works out as planned. The idea of being able to show a movie at midnight the day it opens in one's own home- wow that would be cool. It's cheaper to buy a ticket and slip the ticket-taking-kid at the theater a twenty to cut in line, but it's more comfortable to be at home.

One more question: Is Prima Cinema compatible with 4K output to a 4K native projector?

Please keep updating as the system progresses.

......One more question: Is Prima Cinema compatible with 4K output to a 4K native projector?.......

Not at this time, currently 1080p only. (Already asked.)

Jim

$500 to rent a movie??? plus $35k setup cost? You've gotta be kidding.
Who is crazy enough to buy this?
The local cinema is fine for me...

The same people who are mad enough to spend ?20k+ on a movie server :confused:. I can see a few people wanting it, definitely a limited market, but it will sell I have no doubts.

Dupe...

$500 to rent a movie??? plus $35k setup cost? You've gotta be kidding.
Who is crazy enough to buy this?......

Apparently there are a lot of us "crazy" people out here.:D

PC already has many people waiting for the initial install, most of which will be done after the minor beta bugs are worked out (true for all new products). Those posting here have beta access, the official launch will be at some point after CEDIA.

I acknowledge this is an expensive venture, and our ego's are likely involved (you could argue the same for owning a K system), but there is a value for some of us in having a day/date release of a film in our homes'. Apparently we think $35K and $500 ($600 for 3D) per movie is an acceptable cost for that experience, but clearly most folks do not, and those folks are not the target market.

Jim

Yes, please no more, "the price is too high" posts. You see those in every single avs forum post, that's why I'm posting here.

Yes, please no more, "the price is too high" posts. You see those in every single avs forum post, that's why I'm posting here.

This.

Thank you for the updates ptrubey, I really appreciate any sort of opinions, thoughts, reviews or anything else you want to post about the system. As far as I am concerned, this has more value to me then a sports car.

Completely agree, it either works for you or it doesn't. There are many K owner's that would have no issue with the cost of PC's system.:)

Jim

I believe that answer to be "no."

They have a significant amount of security, including vetting actual buyers, before you can even get a system. At some point, this will probably change. That said, maybe a brave sole here will post a pic, or two.:)

Jim

I believe that answer to be "no."

They have a significant amount of security, including vetting actual buyers, before you can even get a system. At some point, this will probably change. That said, maybe a brave sole here will post a pic, or two.:)

Jim

This is very disappointing for at least two reasons:

1. I think that it would be great to see what the interface looks like...though there are no pictures on their website presumably they would share this with an interested customer.

2. I watch movies ones -- twice rarely -- so for me I would prefer this system over a K system noting that having neither at the moment the price difference is not huge (other than, of course, the cost of each movie).

The item is what about resale...can the access / system be resold no someone else when one has had enough or, as I suspect, there is no resale value.

Thanks,

Joel

Hi Joel,

Sooner or later pic's will appear, just a matter of time.

Don't know about resale, but it's a good question. I would think it wouldn't be an issue (other than vetting the new owner, etc). They don't really lose anything by allowing a resale, and obviously gain additional film sales, which presumably had slowed with the Seller.

Jim

Back