• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

UI Improvements in the Movie Store

Why would change in a HDR/4K badge affect a custom cover? Aren't those two completely separate things?
The badges are embedded in the custom cover (i.e. the system does not overlay that separately).

Andy

The badges are embedded in the custom cover (i.e. the system does not overlay that separately).

Andy
But as its just for you to look at - do you really need to change them? i.e. you know the background etc.

Andy
I'm not sure I understand. How do you customize your cover? I preferred to haver the HD/UHD/HDR badge in the upper right corner, instead of lower, which is K's default image. So I found the movie poster I liked, added a HD/UHD/HDR badge up top, and then upload the JPEG: and that custom cover is what I see when I launch K.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-04-30 at 5.50.39 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-04-30 at 5.50.39 PM.png
    73.4 KB · Views: 25
Why would change in a HDR/4K badge affect a custom cover? Aren't those two completely separate things?
I’m guessing because the tags won’t match. His custom posters will have the old tags and new posters will have the new tags.

But as its just for you to look at - do you really need to change them? i.e. you know the background etc.
I never needed to change them the first time, but I'm a nut so I'll likely change them again 😭

Andy

I'm not sure I understand. How do you customize your cover?
It sounds like you customize your covers the same as me, except I choose to leave the badge in the same place as K.

Andy

There is a big problem with the Video Quality filter in the new interface. In the old interface, the HD setting was labeled "HD or better" and filtered out only SD titles. You could still view titles that were available in one of the 4K formats. In the new interface, the HD setting filters out all formats other than HD and titles available in one of the 4K formats aren't displayed. So the only way to display both HD and 4K titles is to clear the filter, which results in a bunch of unwanted SD titles being listed. Would it be possible to restore the former functionality?
Any response to this?

I like the new way. I like to be able to see HD titles separate from 4K titles. Now you can sort by each resolution. Just My opinion…

John

There is a big problem with the Video Quality filter in the new interface. In the old interface, the HD setting was labeled "HD or better" and filtered out only SD titles. You could still view titles that were available in one of the 4K formats. In the new interface, the HD setting filters out all formats other than HD and titles available in one of the 4K formats aren't displayed. So the only way to display both HD and 4K titles is to clear the filter, which results in a bunch of unwanted SD titles being listed. Would it be possible to restore the former functionality?
Which interface are you talking about: Mobile App, Web, or K? I don't see any changes in the content that's filtered on the web. Perhaps you're seeing all of the HD tags and assuming there's no 4K titles in the mix?

Last edited:
Which interface are you talking about: Mobile App, Web, or K? I don't see any changes in the content that's filtered on the web. Perhaps you're seeing all of the HD tags and assuming there's no 4K titles in the mix?
The web store. Have a look at this screenshot:

1714689809346.png

You can see that every movie is presented with an HD copy only even though all of them are available in 4K. Under the old UI, when you got HD or Better as an option, all of these would show up in the 4K version.

Any chance you can add a feature to search by original language track? For example, if I want to find a list of all movies in French with subtitles? Or does that already exist somewhere?

While you're at it @MikeKobb , if there are no plans (I presume...) to allow seeing all movies from the OSD (downloaded or not plus disc...), any hope of being able to search the store section of "My movies", rather than having to guesstimate what page O might start on for instance please? :p:cool:

(Slightly hoping this already exists and I just don't realise it...)

While you're at it @MikeKobb , if there are no plans (I presume...) to allow seeing all movies from the OSD (downloaded or not plus disc...), any hope of being able to search the store section of "My movies", rather than having to guesstimate what page O might start on for instance please? :p:cool:

(Slightly hoping this already exists and I just don't realise it...)
Can you say a little bit more about what exactly it is that you're trying to accomplish? If you were going to do a search for a movie you know you own, you could do that from anywhere on the store.

If you were going to do a search for a movie you know you own, you could do that from anywhere on the store.
Hey @MikeKobb, I'll shed some light from my experience.

If there is a title that I purchased at some time in the past and the licensing for it has since changed to where the movie is either no longer available, or just the version I own goes away, it does not show up in the normal Store search. To find it, I have to go to My Movies, sort by title, and start my hunt by guesstimating which page has the letter I'm looking for (like @Vodder indicated).

I know there are other titles I've encountered this with, but the only one I can recall at the moment is Troy. I have an older version and while the movie does show up in the general search results and an HD ownership badge is there, I am not able to download it or change to my owned version. The only way to download it is to go hunting in My Movies as described above.

1718054796103.png

Andy

Last edited:
I just remembered another example @MikeKobb. I purchased The Fall back in 2015 and it has since disappeared completely from the Store. A general search returns no hits and I must go to My Movies to see it.

Here is it's URL if that helps: The Fall

Andy

I just remembered another example @MikeKobb. I purchased The Fall back in 2015 and it has since disappeared completely from the Store. A general search returns no hits and I must go to My Movies to see it.

Here is it's URL if that helps: The Fall

Andy
Obviously the best solution here is to add The Fall back to the Store. It's the only way to be sure. :)

Hi @MikeKobb pretty much what the others have said and it also assumes I know what I own. I have titles across all 3 stores. Half the time I’m just browsing but I want to Be able to search my movies only and not guess the page number it might be on.

Think at last check I have one 30+ pages of titles and even I struggle to “bother” to hunt through that.

Really does feel like the biggest gap with K is being and to see through my moves or the OSD what exactly you own. Digital or disc and subsequently what is doenloaded or not

Is come up so many times that can’t help but think there is a “reason” why this is so difficult/not user friendly or not implemented.

Really does feel like the biggest gap with K is being and to see through my moves or the OSD what exactly you own. Digital or disc and subsequently what is doenloaded or not
Help me understand this just a bit. There's a My Movies section in the store (both web and mobile) where you can view all the movies that you've purchased from the store. There are filter options available to show movies that aren't downloaded, movies that are downloaded to individual systems, or just all the movies. What's missing that you need?

It's true that this interface does not currently show movies that you own on disc. This is partially because if those movies aren't available for purchase, the store doesn't have any information about them. No synopses, no cover art, etc. We probably have that information in the guide database (assuming that you're seeing this on your onscreen display), but there's some separation between those two worlds for various reasons.

Back