• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

UI Improvements in the Movie Store

Being a new K customer I feel like the new badging is more helpful than the previous UI. It’s helpful to me to know which version of DTS I’m getting (7.1 vs 5.1). What I would like to see is the mobile app
Incorporate the same filters that are available on the website. I find myself opening the mobile app at random times to see which new releases are available in 4K. The mobile app doesn’t me an option to filter the new releases by UHD or higher like the website.

I also agree with Kris that the player’s interface feels inferior to the mobile and web experience. The player should give me the ability to see my wishlist and filter and sort it the same way the mobile and web views do.

I did not know which thread to use to highlight a new issue with K-Store, but since it occurred only since the new UI, I thought this thread might be best.

For some unknown reason, a movie (namely Harriet) is showing up on my wish list even though I own it and it has been downloaded to my system in HDR. This only occurred after the transition to the new UI. I tried deleting the movie and then re-downloading it, but it will still not disappear from my wish list. And, there is no option to remove it from my wish list. This is annoying, but I fear this issue may not be simply limited to one movie and may "multiply" in the future.

Anyone experience this or have any thoughts how to remove it?
This is almost always caused by someone having a store account in more than one territory (e.g. US and Canada) and adding the movie to the wish list in one territory but buying it in the other.

Basically, it’s a bug, but the situation is such an edge case that it hasn’t been addressed yet. If you contact our support team, it can be fixed using internal tools.

Hi, not sure if it's related to the new store update but for some reason the store is being very slow for me and even get irresponsive when I try to access my movies or the download tabs, it literally doesn't load these pages. I thought it could be related to Safari browsing but it does the same with Chrome and I have 1G internet speed and all the other websites are working perfectly. Anyone experiencing the same issue?

It seems to be working normally for me. Anybody else seeing performance problems? The store website is hosted on one of the major cloud providers so it’s always possible that there’s something going on with their infrastructure.

I am generally a power user but not there yet with K. I like the new changes because they are easier to wrap my head around. Could never remember what UHD was ;)

The “is there an HD version if there is a 4K version?” is a non issue because it’s yes everywhere else so I’ve always assumed it was the same with K.

Right now I’d like to see one addition to the Store UI and that’s an icon to click on to purchase “Star Trek: The Director’s Edition”.
Then I would like to see some updates to the player GUI.

I agree that wanting to see if an SD version is available is uncommon, but looking for an HD version (and its details incl. sound format, size) is something I do often. With a system that is routinely near capacity, I find myself deleting 4K content and downloading HD versions to save space. I may be in the minority in this regard, but wanted to share my initial impressions and use case. In the end, I'm sure I'll get used to the new layout and figure out how to best use it.

My biggest concern is with the presumptive change still coming where on-screen badges will all change to a single 4K variety. I've created hundreds and hundreds of custom covers (with appropriate HDR/UHD badges) and envision a lot of work to update them 😭

Anyways, thanks for listening and being engaged here @MikeKobb :)

Andy

Andy, you might find this useful. This is showing all of the movies I own that have Atmos on the HD version, where I don't have that HD version downloaded to my system.

Screenshot 2024-04-29 at 5.23.37 PM.png

There is a big problem with the Video Quality filter in the new interface. In the old interface, the HD setting was labeled "HD or better" and filtered out only SD titles. You could still view titles that were available in one of the 4K formats. In the new interface, the HD setting filters out all formats other than HD and titles available in one of the 4K formats aren't displayed. So the only way to display both HD and 4K titles is to clear the filter, which results in a bunch of unwanted SD titles being listed. Would it be possible to restore the former functionality?

@andy I was also worried I'd have to redo the hundreds of custom covers I just made with HDR/UHD/HD badges – and change them to 4K/HD badges. @MikeKobb is that change coming to covers as well?

It seems to be working normally for me. Anybody else seeing performance problems? The store website is hosted on one of the major cloud providers so it’s always possible that there’s something going on with their infrastructure.
Still happening for me but wondering if it's because there are 700+ movies in my download list at the moment. This wasn't happening last week with the old UI

@andy I was also worried I'd have to redo the hundreds of custom covers I just made with HDR/UHD/HD badges – and change them to 4K/HD badges. @MikeKobb is that change coming to covers as well?
K stated that their intent is to simplify things for new customers and reduce the confusion around UHD and HDR. Having a different badge in the store to what you see on your TV is confusing and contradicts their sentiment. I will be extremely shocked if this does not happen in a coming software update.

Andy

Still happening for me but wondering if it's because there are 700+ movies in my download list at the moment. This wasn't happening last week with the old UI
I’d suggest that you contact our support folks so that it can be investigated. They have some tools that can help figure out root causes of slowdowns.

I appreciate that the website and the apps are getting updated but I noticed an item missing from the iOS 1.15 app. There used to be an icon at the upper right (next to the share icon) that would instantly bring that movie to the K-player screen when pressed. It was great when I couldn't find the movie I wanted to play quickly with the tile view on the Kaleidescape itself - I could just search on the app then "cast" it over to the screen. Has this been removed?

Yes, this feature only existed on iOS (it was never on Android) and our metrics showed that it was almost never being used, so when the details view was re-written in the latest update, we didn't re-implement it.

Are you familiar with the filter function that's available in the text-based list views on the player? If you're on the Movie List, for example, you can type a few characters from the name of the movie and the list will filter to show only matching titles. (The filter is actually applied based on which column is currently selected, so if you want to filter by director or actor you can do that too.)

On the Remote tab in the app, while controlling the player, just tap the icon to the right of the magnifying glass (the three lines above one another, widest on top). Then type a few letters and you'll see the list view winnow the results down.

I appreciate that the website and the apps are getting updated but I noticed an item missing from the iOS 1.15 app. There used to be an icon at the upper right (next to the share icon) that would instantly bring that movie to the K-player screen when pressed. It was great when I couldn't find the movie I wanted to play quickly with the tile view on the Kaleidescape itself - I could just search on the app then "cast" it over to the screen. Has this been removed?

I used that most nights to pull up the movie we planned to watch before going downstairs.

My biggest concern is with the presumptive change still coming where on-screen badges will all change to a single 4K variety. I've created hundreds and hundreds of custom covers (with appropriate HDR/UHD badges) and envision a lot of work to update them 😭

Andy
Why would change in a HDR/4K badge affect a custom cover? Aren't those two completely separate things?

Back