• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

The Ultimate List of Kaleidescape Store Titles That are Significant

Substance

⭐️⭐️PATRON⭐️⭐️
Ultimate list of Kaleidescape Store titles that are technically and/or content wise significant

Here is the list of Kaleidescape Store titles that are technically unique (i.e. only OAR edition, theatrical audio mix etc.) and do not have any equivalent on any other format. The list also includes Kaleidescape Store titles that have extra content or different cuts of the content that are not available on any other format.

Please Suggest Kaleidescape Store titles that has,
- Different aspect ratio than found on other media i.e. open matte, OAR etc.
- Different audio track i.e. theatrical mix, theatrical soundtrack restored etc.
- Different color timing i.e. director approved color timing, theatrical color timing etc.
- Different cut of the movie i.e. director’s cut, special edition, theatrical cut, unrated cut etc.
- Different extras i.e. commentaries, documentary, interview etc.

This list will be updated as more titles are suggested.

Batman Returns (1992) - The first film with Dolby Stereo Digital, also known as Dolby AC-3, later renamed to be Dolby Digital 5.1 in cinemas on June 19, 1992.

Jurassic Park (1993) - The first film with Digital Theater Sound (DTS) 5.1 in cinemas on June 11, 1993. The first film with DTS 5.1 in home video on Laserdisc on January 15, 1997.

Clear and Present Danger (1994) - The first film with Dolby Digital 5.1 in home video on Laserdisc on January 31, 1995.

The Abyss (1989) - The first film mastered in THX for home video released on Laserdisc on April 7, 1993.

Star Wars: The Phantom Menace (1999) - the first film mastered in THX Surround EX and Dolby Digital EX in cinemas on May 19, 1999. The first film mastered in THX Surround EX and Dolby Digital EX in home video released on Laserdisc on April 7, 2000 in Japan. Dolby Digital EX has 5.1 discreet channels and a single mono matrixed rear center channel for a 6.1 channel surround sound experience.

Manhattan (1979) - The first film to be released in “letterbox” widescreen format in home video on RCA’s Capacitance Electronic Disc (CED) format on August 1984.

Citizen Kane (1941) - Criterion Collection Spine Number 001 released on Laserdisc in 1984 which makes it the very first special edition in home video with added extras.

Twister (1996) - The very first DVD release on March 27, 1997 and the very last HD-DVD release on May 27, 2008.

Unforgiven (1992) and Free Willy (1993) were the first films to be released in anamorphic widescreen on home video on Laserdisc in 1994. They were given as gifts when purchased a Toshiba widescreen TV.

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (2008) - The first film mastered in THX and released on Blu-ray disc on October 14, 2008.

Bugsy (1991) and A League of Their Own (1992) were the very first films released on home video in High Definition, also known as High Vision on Laserdisc on May 21, 1993 in Japan. The High Vision format used Multiple sub-Nyquist Sampling Encoding (MUSE) to store 1080 analog lines of information (1035i visible lines). The audio was encoded in Digital Audio Near-instantaneous Compression and Expansion (Dance) encoding with either in A-mode with 13 bit 32kHz 3+1 channels (Left, Center, Right, Mono Rear) or in B-mode with 16bit 48Khz 2 channels. A special Laserdisc player and a MUSE decoder were needed to play these discs.

Terminator 2: Judgement Day (1991), X-Men (2000), U-571 (2000), and The Peacemaker (1997) were the first films to be released in HD on home video for the US market on D-Theater format on June 11, 2002. D-Theater format used MPEG-2 encoding with fixed bitrate of 28.2mbps with 1080i resolution. The audio was in LPCM 2.0, Dolby Digital 5.1 (640kbps) and optionally with DTS 5.1 (1.5mbps). A special D-Theater capable D-VHS VCR was needed to play these tapes.

Transformers: Age of Extinction (2014) -The first film with Dolby Atmos in home video released on Blu-ray disc on September 14, 2014.

Brave (2012) - The first film mixed in Dolby Atmos, released for cinamas on June 22, 2012.

Warner Bros. was the first studio supported with Standard Definition (SD) releases on the Kaleidescape Store launch on December 11, 2012.

The first new movie for HD download was The Hobbitt Unexpected Journey on April 19th 2013.

The first TV show season in 4K HDR - Game of Thrones - Season 1 on October 15, 2022.

The longest movie - Red Cliff (Part I & II) in HD from Magnolia Pictures - 288 min (as of Jan 1, 2024)

The largest download file size for a movie - Avatar: Collector's Edition (2009) in HD from Twentieth Century - 327.7 GB (HD download)

The largest download file size and the longest run time - Baseball: A Film by Ken Burns (1994) in HD from PBS - 386.9 GB - 1350 Minutes

The largest download file size for TV Show - Westworld (Season 2) (2018) in HDR from Warner - 425.4GB

The shortest run time (excluding demo content) - The Wallach Project (2013) in HD from 1091 Media - 10 min

Last edited:
Kaleidescape Store UK Exclusive Titles
(You need to be in the UK to access these links)

The Last Boy Scout (1991) in HD (SD only for the US)

Sex, Lies and Videotape (1989) in 4K HDR (HD only for the US)

Triangle of Sadness (2022) in 4K

The Boondock Saints II: All Saints Day (2009) in HD

Cobra (1986) in HD (SD only for the US)

Criters Attack! (2019) in HD

Father of the Bride (2022) in 4K HDR

Operation mincemeat (2021) in 4K HDR

Little Fish (2021) in HD

Tesla (2020) in HD

Mad Max (1979) - HD only but has the original soundtrack in Australian English in Dolby Digital 5.1

Summerland (2020) in 4K

Wild mountain Thyme (2020) in 4K

Red Joan (2019) in 4K HDR

Til Death (2021) in 4K

Six Minutes to Midnight (2021) in 4K HDR

Ammonite (2020) in 4K (HD only for the US)

Made in Italy (2020) in 4K

Blackbird (2020) in 4K

Dream Hose (2020) in 4K HDR

Hotel Artemis (2018) in HD

Passenger 57 (1992) in HD

The Ward (2010) in HD

Dune (1984) in 4K HDR ( HD only for the US)

K-19: The Widowmaker (2002) in HD

Michael Jackson: Moonwalker (1988) in HD - This film was never released for home video in the US, nor available for streaming.

Falling Skies (2011) in HD

Fortitude (2015) in HD

Peaky Blinders (2013) in HD

Orphan Black (2013) in HD

Last edited:
I need help with some of the firsts here on the store.

What was the first title ever added to the store on launch?
What was the first HD title added to the store?
What was the first UHD title?
What was the first HDR title?
What was the first Dolby Atmos title?
What was the first DTS X title?
What was the first concert title added to the store?
What was the first documentary?
What was the first foreign title?
What was the first anime?
What was the first TV series season in SD and HD and 4K?

I also need help on these.

The longest film (run time).
The shortest film.
The longest concert.
The largest file size for any film.
The largest file size for any Tv series.
The film with most number of cuts (special edition, director’s cut, etc..)

I need help with some of the firsts here on the store.

What was the first TV series season in SD and HD and 4K?

Was Game of Thrones the first TV series to be in 4K on the store? Can someone confirm this?

Bugsy (1991) and A League of Their Own (1992) were the very first films released on home video in High Definition, also known as High Vision on Laserdisc on May 21, 1993 in Japan. The High Vision format used Multiple sub-Nyquist Sampling Encoding (MUSE) to store 1080 analog lines of information (1035i visible lines). The audio was encoded in Digital Audio Near-instantaneous Compression and Expansion (Dance) encoding with either in A-mode with 13 bit 32kHz 3+1 channels (Left, Center, Right, Mono Rear) or in B-mode with 16bit 48Khz 2 channels. A special Laserdisc player and a MUSE decoder were needed to play these discs.

It is a shame we have Bugsy in SD only on the Kaleidescape store, more than 30 years after its HD debut for home video in Japan.

I also need help on these.

The longest film (run time).
The shortest film.
The longest concert.
The largest file size for any film.
The largest file size for any Tv series.
The film with most number of cuts (special edition, director’s cut, etc..)
I’ll take a shot at some of these.
longest run time film - Lonesome Dove - 360 minutes
shortest run time film - Fantasia 2000 - 74 minutes
longest concert - Daniel Barenboim: Beethoven - The Complete Piano Sonatas - 714 minutes

Warner Bros was the first studio with SD downloads on December 11, 2012.

I believe the first new movie for HD download was The Hobbitt Unexpected Journey on April 19th 2013.

Longest Movie
Dragon Blade (2015) in HD/SD from Lionsgate - 1003 Minutes (Incorrectly as reported by Kscape)
Non TV Movie with correct run time
Red Cliff (Part I & II) in HD from Magnolia Pictures - 288 min
If it includes documentaries under the Movie category then:
Baseball: A Film by Ken Burns (1994) in HD from PBS - 1350 Minutes

Largest File Size (Movie)

Baseball: A Film by Ken Burns (1994) in HD from PBS - 386.9 GB
or non-documentary
Avatar: Collector's Edition (2009) in HD from Twentieth Century - 327.7 GB

Shortest Reported Run time (Not including demo material)
Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy (2004) from Paramount - incorrectly listed at 9 min
Legitimately
The Wallach Project (2013) in HD from 1091 Media - 10 min

Largest File Size (TV)
under the TV category
Westworld (Season 2) (2018) in HDR from Warner - 425.4GB

Was Game of Thrones the first TV series to be in 4K on the store? Can someone confirm this?
GOT Season 1 arrived on 2022-10-15 in HDR
both
Dynasties (2015) and Blue Planet II (2017) were available earlier. 2022-05-22 is when I first started tracking TV so that is best I can provide.

I had no idea that there was ever an anamorphic LaserDisc! Wow. I believe that I have that X-Men D-Theater, still (and a deck that can play it!)
They only released Unforgiven, Free Willy, The Fugitive and The Grumpy Old Men in the US in anamorphic widescreen Laserdisc. All with LPCM 2ch audio with Dolby Surround encoding. You had to buy a Toshiba 16:9 tube TV to get these bundled in. There is a tiny print on the back to distinguish these promotional anamorphic widescreen releases from the standard letterbox releases.

In Japan they released Terminator 2: Judgement Day, Stargate, Cliffhanger, Showgirls, Basic Instinct and Cutthroat Island between 1996 and 1998. They called these ”Squeezed’ Laserdiscs. Some of these had Dolby AC-3. Terminator 2 was released twice. The later released was THX certified and had far superior picture. Showgirls was censored (typical in Japan).

In Germany, they released Microcosmos and Schlafes Bruder in PAL+ which is also anamorphic but requires a PAL+ decoder. Schlafes Bruder was released twice, the second release with DTS 5.1 which makes it the only DTS Laserdisc released in Europe.

IMG_0501.jpeg

I had no idea that there was ever an anamorphic LaserDisc! Wow. I believe that I have that X-Men D-Theater, still (and a deck that can play it!)

D-theater looks great. X-Men had great picture! I have a JVC HM-D5U and a JVC HM-DT100U. When people see the HDMI outputs and the HD logos on these VCRs, it blows their minds :)

True Lies is still a D-Theater exclusive for any HD home video physical media release until the Blu-rays are out in March. You need a JVC HM-DH40000U or later generation D-Theater VCR to access the DTS tracks.

IMG_0503.jpeg

IMG_0504.jpegIMG_0505.jpeg

Last edited:
I want to be sure I understand the purpose of this. Is this content that is superior on Kscape compared to other formats? If so Jurassic Park in 4k is DTSX on disc. While here on kscape it's DTS 5.1.

I want to be sure I understand the purpose of this. Is this content that is superior on Kscape compared to other formats? If so Jurassic Park in 4k is DTSX on disc. While here on kscape it's DTS 5.1.
I will eventually get to the technically superior titles as time permits. I am currently listing historically significant titles.

For instance, Jurassic Park was the first film ever to be mixed in discreet DTS 5.1 digital sound. It has been re-mixed and mixed over and over again for home video. In my knowledge, none were under the director’s supervision. I understand DTS X is a later technology and may appear as the superior version but it may or may not reflect the film maker’s intended vision. I also understand not everyone will care to remain true to the film maker’s intended mix but here we will at least have some references.

I plan to list films from Super35, 70mm, IMAX and other relatively rare sources, different cuts, different color timing, Kaleidescape exclusives and many others. Hopefully, we will also be able to document Kaleidescape Store history here. This will all take me some months to compile.

I will eventually get to the technically superior titles as time permits. I am currently listing historically significant titles.

For instance, Jurassic Park was the first film ever to be mixed in discreet DTS 5.1 digital sound. It has been re-mixed and mixed over and over again for home video. In my knowledge, none were under the director’s supervision. I understand DTS X is a later technology and may appear as the superior version but it may or may not reflect the film maker’s intended vision. I also understand not everyone will care to remain true to the film maker’s intended mix but here we will at least have some references.

I plan to list films from Super35, 70mm, IMAX and other relatively rare sources, different cuts, different color timing, Kaleidescape exclusives and many others. Hopefully, we will also be able to document Kaleidescape Store history here. This will all take me some months to compile.
Understood. Thx for the clarity

Back