• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Strto 6TB ISSUE

mhbernheim

Just installed a strato 6tb, it was used, I restored to factory settings, then went through the whole process of starting the wizard, activated it and the unit is rebooting non-stop showing the Kaleidescape "one moment please..." screen (at 1080p 60hz) and then wont go past that... it reboots 3 times more and then no image. I just tried changing the cable to my apple 4v 4k and its aplaying fine at 2160p. I can't access the strato from the local network. According to the device capabilitiets on the local network (i was able to go into them previously) it said it wasnt receiving any info from my display, which is crazy becuase its a jvc rs640u 2018... *sighs* any thoughts? (its my first strato)

below are what im seeing when checking device port capabilities...
(they are wrong, my receiver and projector can handle these settings perfectly)
3u5uIqM.png

Last edited:
Yes, its the video out port, for some reason i was able to get it to diaplay the menus, so i went and restored factory settings

aaaand that didn't fix it... its only showing 480p on the screens, the weird thing is that when booting it shows 1080..

I connected the strato directly to my jvc, three different cables, always in 480p and wont detect capabilities... not sure what else to do

Just out of curiosity, have you connected it to any other displays? If it works with another display, it would seem to indicate some sort of compatibility issue. If it doesn't work, that would look like a problem in the Strato. While it was running fine here, it could have possibly gotten damaged in transit, though unlikely. Unit is still under warranty but it might be something weird with the compatibility.

Also, as it seems to be running otherwise, there may be informative in the logs being sent to Kaleidescape that tech support could figure out.

Thanks, i havent connected it to anorher display, i have a 4k hdr tv in another room ill connect it there and post back, at forst i thought it might be the cable but ive swapped thrre premium cables already. Is there a way to contact kscape to evaluate possible known compatibility issues withjvc?

Send an email, or call, Kaleidescape Support (support@kaleidescape.com) (650-625-6160), they will be able to tell you if there are known issues with that display, but personally I don't know of any specific issues.

I do know it's getting more difficult to connect some of the older displays to newer equipment, mostly because of HDMI and protection of content incompatibility.

Jim

Thanks, ill contact them. Rhe display in this case is newerr than the strato. I read kn anither forumthat it definitley sounds like an edid broadcast issue, it can be bypassed, ill try today

Its definitely an EDID issue becuase i changed the modes on it from A to B on my jvc and now getting a 1080p 60hz image on the kaleidescape menu, however its saying this:

This 4K Ultra HD capable player is currently connected to a display which reports no support for 4K Ultra HD (2160p) video modes. For the best possible experience connect this player to a display which is 4K Ultra HD capable.

Its now saying this:

No capabilities information is being received from the display. It may be powered off, or there may be a connection problem between the display and the Kaleidescape player.

HDCP 1.x
2.2 The player has established an HDCP 2.2 link with your HDMI device(s). You can play protected content in full 4K Ultra HD resolution.
HD/UHD Resolutions 720p
1080i
1080p
2160p(crossed out) Your display is HDT

super contradictory, its saying that it can't do 2160p but right above it it says "YOU CAN PLAY PROTECTED CONTENT IN FULL 4K ULTRA HD resolution...

Last edited:
More than likely EDID issue.
As Jim said earlier it is definitely getting more difficult to get HDMI connections to work reliably even with new hardware. My Samsung 2018 model TV got it's firmware recently updated and the connected Strato / Co-star stopped working properly in that after an HDR movie played the screen went blank when going back to the covers page but if a film was 'blindly chosen' via my remote panel it played regardless of being HD or non HD. Cables were as supplied by Kaleidescape with my Strato..... new cables that are fully certified 2.x (and expensive) and now all works again.
P.S. I did have some EDID errors prior to the upgrade by Samsung according to Kaleidescape support that seemed to start after the last KOS update (may or may not be relevent but just adds to the Highly dodgy media interface issues (HDMI) we have as a connection methadology).

Some info I found from Lumagen re cables but I am sure the advice is also appropriate especially as the Lumagen Pro can handle the role of the Co-star if you purchase the separate licence:-

For HDMI connections on the Radiance Pro output use 6 to 10 foot (2 to 3 meters) Certified passive 18 GHz HDMI cables such as the Tributaries UHD or Ethereal Velox. For Radiance Pro output lengths over 10 feet (3 meters) Lumagen recommends using a 18 GHz fiber HDMI cable such as the RUIPRO (amazon.com), or the Monoprice (Monoprice.com).

HDMI cables continue to be the source of many problems, such as a snowy image due to the loss of the HDCP connection to the display. Short HDMI cables that are 1 meter (3 feet) long can cause problems. Most HDMI transmitter chips have a built in equalizer circuit that boosts the signal level to compensate for losses in the cable. A cable that is too short, can deliver a signal that is too strong, and overwhelm the input of the HDMI receiver chip. If you have short HDMI cables and are experiencing intermittent problems, a longer cable can make a more reliable connection.

Thank you for your input. I am now almost positive its the reveiver however i spoke to mcintosh and they had some instructions that ill be following today to see if that fixes the issue

Thank you for your input. I am now almost positive its the reveiver however i spoke to mcintosh and they had some instructions that ill be following today to see if that fixes the issue
Good luck! Hope you get it resolved. Gotta love HDMI issues. It's happened to us all at one point or another. Most frustrating thing is that it can be ANYWHERE in the product chain. Source --> cable --> receiver --> cable --> display. You can get all of that sorted out and then a firmware update to any of those things and bam. Back to square one trying to get it all sorted out. Haha.

For me, funky issues like what you're having has been due to any one of those components. Sometimes solved by settings, sometimes by hardware settings (or swapping), sometimes firmware updates (or rollbacks), and at times even cables.

Also, as silly as this sounds, if you're using an "active" HDMI cable, make sure you have the ends in the right places (source/display). The heads are usually labeled and are specific. If it's a normal passive cable, what length are you running? I had a 30' cable that ran great with most things but then after a receiver or PJ update, it had a tough time passing 4K HDR. Swapped cables to a different brand and voila. Never had the issue again. I'm hearing great things about these new-fangled fiber optic cables too.

Hello folks, apparently theres some weird incompatibility issue where the strato wont read the edid info from my mcintosh mx122, the only solution was to plug the video out of the strato directly to my jvc projector, however, the 18gbps option is still not available but I am able to view 4k hdr at 24hz, i then connected the audio out to my mx122, hopefully i wont run into av sync issues lol, waiting on some content to be available on nov 20th to blast the crap out of it.

Question, am I supposed to see 18gbps option available as video output mode?

Back