• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Strato Player - First impressions

Has anyone experienced audio dropouts with their Strato?

I haven't discovered a pattern yet - but with some movies every few minutes or so I get a very brief (less than a second) audio dropout.

I haven't experienced this with my other video sources (e.g. TiVo).

I am going to try to find a pattern (e.g., if it occurs with only certain types of audio tracks or if it only happens when set to bitstream).

Yes! I called Kscape told them about the audio dropouts which I never had on my alto. The tech had never heard of this before and told me to wait until the audio update and that should fix it.

I have also noted some very brief audio drop outs from the Strato. I have just recently got it up and running, but I noticed it right away and didn't think much else about it until I saw your post. Hopefully a software update will take care of this as it is noticeable and annoying. My set up requires decode in the player (Meridian) and so I don't use bitstream. My other players (M500 and Oppo) are all fine.

Wayne

I too have noticed some audio dropouts. But I seem to only get them during selected scenes in movies, rather than during an entire movie playback.

So if anyone wants to test a specific scene to see if they have the audio hiccups as well - Magic Mike XXL Mirror scene . LOL weird example I know, but my girlfriend loves to show that scene off to her friends because... well you know. But there are about 5-6 hiccups in the first minute.

I too have noticed some audio dropouts. But I seem to only get them during selected scenes in movies, rather than during an entire movie playback.

So if anyone wants to test a specific scene to see if they have the audio hiccups as well - Magic Mike XXL Mirror scene . LOL weird example I know, but my girlfriend loves to show that scene off to her friends because... well you know. But there are about 5-6 hiccups in the first minute.

For me the audio dropouts occur in certain movies - but they move around - not always in the same place.

How did you solve your Disc Vault problem? I have the same problem - the Disc Vault shows a communication failure - and I have no idea on how to get it to do a firmware update!

For me the audio dropouts occur in certain movies - but they move around - not always in the same place.

How did you solve your Disc Vault problem? I have the same problem - the Disc Vault shows a communication failure - and I have no idea on how to get it to do a firmware update!

So i had a Kscape rep come out to my house and update the firmware on the vault with an Alto since the Strato isnt compatible yet. I would contact their customer support and they can direct you on the best solution.

Does anyone happen to be using a HD Fury Integral with their Strato setup? I've had mine for about 6 weeks now, but I still haven't opened it. I'm wondering if its at all necessary at this point. When I did the HDMI Capabilities test, everything seemed to be good to go in terms of maxing everything out.

- 30hz at 4:4:4: 30 bit and
-60hz at 4:2:2: 30 bit

Does anyone happen to be using a HD Fury Integral with their Strato setup? I've had mine for about 6 weeks now, but I still haven't opened it. I'm wondering if its at all necessary at this point. When I did the HDMI Capabilities test, everything seemed to be good to go in terms of maxing everything out.

- 30hz at 4:4:4: 30 bit and
-60hz at 4:2:2: 30 bit

I should mention- I use a JVC RS600 with a Marantz AV8802A. Just looking for feedback if anyone has a similar setup but still finds a Integral useful.

Howdy folks,

For those of you who have had audio dropouts with Strato, are you running the Strato in bitstream output, or player decode? We are aware of a bug that affects bitstream output and can cause brief dropouts.

We recommend using the player decode setting at this time. Since Strato is currently not outputting lossless bitstream audio (this is planned for the next kOS software update), there is no loss in quality when using player decode, and it works around this problem pretty effectively.

Just remember to switch back to bitstream once the software update happens so that you can benefit from the lossless codecs.

Sorry for the trouble. Please contact our support folks if this doesn't solve the issue for you.

Howdy folks,

For those of you who have had audio dropouts with Strato, are you running the Strato in bitstream output, or player decode? We are aware of a bug that affects bitstream output and can cause brief dropouts.

We recommend using the player decode setting at this time. Since Strato is currently not outputting lossless bitstream audio (this is planned for the next kOS software update), there is no loss in quality when using player decode, and it works around this problem pretty effectively.

Just remember to switch back to bitstream once the software update happens so that you can benefit from the lossless codecs.

Sorry for the trouble. Please contact our support folks if this doesn't solve the issue for you.

Hi Mike,

Before I watched a movie most recently, I switched to player decode, and at least for that movie had no dropouts.

On another note - do I really have to make some kind of special arrangement with Kaleidescape to upgrade the firmware for the DV700 that was delivered and installed this weekend to use it to catalog discs with my Strato?

Glad to hear that the player decode worked for you!

Regarding the DV-700, please contact our support folks. It should have been shipped with a suitable kOS version installed, so I'm not sure if there's some other issue, or if you somehow received a unit that hadn't been updated. They will be able to investigate.

Howdy folks,

We recommend using the player decode setting at this time.

Hi Mike,

I have noticed several brief audio dropouts using player decode. It is connected to my Meridian processor using the second HDMI output. I have not seen a pattern yet as it is still very new. I will keep an ear out.

Wayne

Hm, sorry to hear that. If you're able to identify reproducible situations, that's most helpful. If not, please try to make a note of the exact date/time when it happens. I'm not sure what kind of remote control you're using, but a trick we use internally is to grab the IR remote and press one of the number keys several times in a row. The IR activity shows up in the diagnostic logs, so it helps to quickly zero in on where an audio drop happened to see if one of the subsystems reported an error shortly before that.

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your response. We have visitors right now so I likely won't be able to test much for another week or so. I use an RTI remote (IP control), so I am not sure if the same protocol applies. I can, however, use the supplied remote for testing.

Wayne

IP or IR are both good. The only thing I'm not sure of is how the RTI IP driver is programmed. (For example, the Control4 driver does not send digits to the player if it detects that it is in playback mode -- I found this out in my own testing during one of our internal betas...)

You can use one of the arrow keys on the remote instead. For example, four or five presses of the right arrow. You might see a message in the corner of the screen that says something like "Not supported by movie". That's okay.

Thanks for the info, Mike. I'll give it a try when I have some time.

Wayne

Same issue here

Hi Mike

Just following up on the other users here. I have the same three issues mentioned:

1. Video dropouts for less than a second - Screen goes to black for a split second and back to the movie.

2. Audio dropouts for less than a second as well (not at the same time as that of the video dropout)

3. Disc Vault freezing and consequently freezing the entire system. Only way out is to unplug the vault which then restores everything.

The first two issues do not occur when viewing via the Premiere system players on the same projector. (Im using the Sony VW500ES which only supports unto 4K 50/60Hz feeds with reduced chroma subsampling of 8-bit 4:2:0 ,limited to 10.2Gb/s). I tried limiting the video options to use only 10.2gbps but the issues still persist.

We're confused if its an HDMI cable problem (replace?) or related to the upcoming firmware?

Another issue/strange finding

Hi Mike,

In an effort to see if audio adjustments resolved my audio dropout issue I changed the audio settings of the secondary HDMI output from "auto" to "the receiver (Meridian) not supporting DTS MA or Dolby True HD." I did not adjust the audio settings of the main HDMI or any of the video settings. What happened is that I lost the video output to the display. The display showed "no input signal." When I changed the settings back to "auto" the picture returned to normal. I don't know if this is a bug in the software or if I was somehow affecting the video signal in some, unknown to me, but explainable way.

Mike, I thought I would pass this on in case it is of use to you in future software updates. Also, in my brief listening session last night, I did not notice any dropouts.

Wayne

Hi Mike

Just following up on the other users here. I have the same three issues mentioned:

1. Video dropouts for less than a second - Screen goes to black for a split second and back to the movie.
If you're seeing momentary video dropouts, that suggests that the HDMI connection to the display is not reliable. How long is the cable connection? What sort of cable are you using? Is the cable run directly from the Strato to the projector, or via a receiver?

2. Audio dropouts for less than a second as well (not at the same time as that of the video dropout)
May be related to the above. Are you using player decode.

3. Disc Vault freezing and consequently freezing the entire system. Only way out is to unplug the vault which then restores everything.
This should never happen. I'm not sure what the configuration of your system is (Strato? Alto? One of each? Etc?), so I'm not sure what you're doing with the Disc Server when you experience it freezing.

I would strongly suggest contacting our support team to investigate the Disc Server issue. I'm really not able to provide support here on the forum. I'm only able to come on a time-available basis. The proper support channel is via your dealer, and via our support team.

Wayne, that's.... well, it's bizarre. I'm making some inquiries to see if anybody has heard of such an issue.

With that having been said, I don't think those settings would affect a dropout issue. Right now, those two codecs are simply disabled in the Strato software, so whether or not the player thought the receiver supported them should make no difference.

If you're seeing momentary video dropouts, that suggests that the HDMI connection to the display is not reliable. How long is the cable connection? What sort of cable are you using? Is the cable run directly from the Strato to the projector, or via a receiver?.

Yes it could be the Hdmi which is what my dealer also feels. We are kind of waiting for a possible recommendation of cable brand as well from Kaleidescape so as to ensure the cable is not at fault. I believe we are running 10-15m cable to the projector. Also the cable is connected to a receiver (Marantz AV8802A).

May be related to the above. Are you using player decode.

Yes I'm using player decode - Will update once a new cable is put in. We are also exploring connection the projector directly to Stratos and run the audio separately to the amp to keep the signal path as clean as possible. Will this help?

This should never happen. I'm not sure what the configuration of your system is (Strato? Alto? One of each? Etc?), so I'm not sure what you're doing with the Disc Server when you experience it freezing.

The disc server (M700) is connected to my premier system. I believe a few other users also experienced this issue on this thread and a suggestion provided was to update the firmware. Im in touch with my dealer on the same.

Back