• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Strato Player - First impressions

I just checked in with the team that is evaluating cables. Regrettably, we have yet to find a cable that performs perfectly at 18Gbps (apart from short, passive cables that work fine but are length-limited).

We are testing one pre-production active cable that has worked >< this close to perfectly, and the issues we've seen with that one were not too likely to be encountered in normal use. We expect a production sample to test soon. Fingers crossed.

I just checked in with the team that is evaluating cables. Regrettably, we have yet to find a cable that performs perfectly at 18Gbps (apart from short, passive cables that work fine but are length-limited).

We are testing one pre-production active cable that has worked >< this close to perfectly, and the issues we've seen with that one were not too likely to be encountered in normal use. We expect a production sample to test soon. Fingers crossed.

Just curious, whats the longest length cable that you've gotten to work "perfectly"?

Just curious, whats the longest length cable that you've gotten to work "perfectly"?

We're testing both active and passive cables. On the passive side, we've had very good performance with a 20' cable. On the active side, the longest we've had success with is a 60' pre-production sample, but it's an optical cable so I would not be surprised if longer versions will also perform well.

We're still working through the tests so I'm not ready to name names yet, but we're getting there.

Hi Mike,

In an effort to see if audio adjustments resolved my audio dropout issue I changed the audio settings of the secondary HDMI output from "auto" to "the receiver (Meridian) not supporting DTS MA or Dolby True HD." I did not adjust the audio settings of the main HDMI or any of the video settings. What happened is that I lost the video output to the display. The display showed "no input signal." When I changed the settings back to "auto" the picture returned to normal. I don't know if this is a bug in the software or if I was somehow affecting the video signal in some, unknown to me, but explainable way.

Hi Wayne,

With the date/time you provided to me offline, the engineering team was able to check the diagnostic logs and determine that you were actually affected by a known bug that exists in kOS 7.1, and that will be fixed in an upcoming release.

It’s not actually related to the audio settings, but rather, can cause a Strato to become "stuck" and appear unresponsive after it’s put into standby. For some reason, changing the audio setting back caused the player to become un-stuck. We’re not 100% sure why, but we do know the underlying cause and it’s not within the audio code.

Thanks again for the report!

Great, look forward to your findings.

Jim

Any updates on when the software update enabling CinemaScape and bitstream audio passthrough for the Strato is expected? Previous posts in this thread mentioned April, but I have seen a few mentions on AVS Forum of May or even May/June.

Thanks

Any updates on when the software update enabling CinemaScape and bitstream audio passthrough for the Strato is expected? Previous posts in this thread mentioned April, but I have seen a few mentions on AVS Forum of May or even May/June.

Thanks

I am also very interested in an update on these important features (along with when the Disc Server contents will be available for playing in the UI).

May would be early, June would be closer to K's original statement ("mid-year"), and to my knowledge nothing has changed and K is working to have all of the above available as soon as possible.

Unlike some company's that make "intent" promises, K has a long history of successfully meeting their forward looking statements, so I expect we'll see the expected support around "mid-year.":)

Jim

May would be early, June would be closer to K's original statement ("mid-year"), and to my knowledge nothing has changed and K is working to have all of the above available as soon as possible.

Unlike some company's that make "intent" promises, K has a long history of successfully meeting their forward looking statements, so I expect we'll see the expected support around "mid-year.":)

Jim
Are you referring to Strato support for accessing a Disc Server, or also to the CinemaScape and lossless audio updates? In Posts 85, 105, and 116 of this thread Mike Kobb said the CinemaScape and lossless audio passthrough updates were slated for this April.

Are you referring to Strato support for accessing a Disc Server, or also to the CinemaScape and lossless audio updates? In Posts 85, 105, and 116 of this thread Mike Kobb said the CinemaScape and lossless audio passthrough updates were slated for this April.

That is also what I was told in an email from Kaleidescape before I purchased my Strato and Disc Server in March. And according to that email the Disc Server was scheduled to play content through the Strato in May.

Sorry guys, I'm referring to the various functions K plans to add to our systems, all of which are planned to be available by mid-year. It is certainly possible some of these will be released in earlier updates, including those announced by K (as you noted above). Keep in mind however that they are dealing with very complex code, and meeting these projected dates can be affected by unexpected delays. That said, I've been told that all projected dates for these additional capabilities are currently on schedule.

Jim

Sorry guys, I'm referring to the various functions K plans to add to our systems, all of which are planned to be available by mid-year. It is certainly possible some of these will be released in earlier updates, including those announced by K (as you noted above). Keep in mind however that they are dealing with very complex code, and meeting these projected dates can be affected by unexpected delays. That said, I've been told that all projected dates for these additional capabilities are currently on schedule.

Jim
Thanks for the update, Jim! I certainly understand that it frequently can take more time than planned to get things right. Let's hope all goes well with adding the functionalities as scheduled. I just got my height speakers for Dolby Atmos installed and am anxious to try them out with my Kscape content. My Alto is now in my whole house rack, so I need the Strato to get updated to enjoy Kscape Atmos content on my Atmos-enabled theater system.

Hi John,

No, this is not referring to internal decoding of lossless audio.

With the current software release (7.1), Strato does not yet output the lossless bitstream codecs (Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD MA, Dolby Atmos, DTS:X). It will instead output either the Dolby Digital or DTS "core"/"substream" that is associated with those formats. You can choose to output that audio as a (lossy) bitstream or have the player decode it to PCM, but we recommend the latter.

Support for bitstream output of those lossless codecs is planned for April. We have not announced a date for player decoding of those codecs.

We are in the last week of April! When can we expect support for lossless codecs (due in April), CinemaScape (due in April) and the Disc Server (due in May) with the Strato?

We are in the last week of April! When can we expect support for lossless codecs (due in April), CinemaScape (due in April) and the Disc Server (due in May) with the Strato?

Also looking for update on this. Really want to finally use my Disc Server lol :)

Same here I was told by my dealer that we would see audio update mid April. K is late. &#55357;&#56865;

Back