• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Strato Player - First impressions

thanks for all the responses about ethernet/wireless connections...My bigger issue right now is my new Strato. I have a Strato and an Alto, I need to know how everyone is connecting their equipment. I have A JVC RS500 HDMI into a Anthem 1120 AVR (HDMI in 1) Strato HDMI into Anthem HDMI 1...I'm not getting 2160 per the setting in for the Strato...Both the JVC and RS500 are 2.0, what is the issue, my cables? UGH...Any thoughts? Thank you, Now to start drinking..:)

Okay, first of all, if you have both an Alto and a Strato acting as a single system, the two must be connected via wired Ethernet. You could have a topology that looks something like:

Router --> wireless/extender/etc --> Gigabit Switch --> Alto & Strato
But the Alto and the Strato need to talk to each other via a wired connection.

Regarding your video connection, what do you see when you look at the HDMI Capabilities tool in the Strato's browser interface? If you haven't looked at that yet, it's documented beginning on page 26 of the Strato Installation Guide.

Oh, you asked about cables. How are you connected from the Anthem to the JVC? Passive cable, or active cable, or HDBaseT/Cat6 extender, or fiber optic, or...?

So i am using the MHX - HDME2, and HDME 5.

And yes about all those specs. Now the Deep Color shows 24-bit (no) when watching the UHD content.

With 1080P content, I get 30-bit(yes).

Hmmm. So, there isn't any 30-bit content at 1080p -- it's all 24. All of the UHD content is 30-bit (a.k.a. 10-bit), so it should work if the display supports it.

If you look at the HDMI capabilities tool, what does it show in the "Supported 4K Ultra HD Modes" section? In the "NTSC" row, what does it say in the 60Hz tile?

Okay, first of all, if you have both an Alto and a Strato acting as a single system, the two must be connected via wired Ethernet. You could have a topology that looks something like:

Router --> wireless/extender/etc --> Gigabit Switch --> Alto & Strato
But the Alto and the Strato need to talk to each other via a wired connection.

Regarding your video connection, what do you see when you look at the HDMI Capabilities tool in the Strato's browser interface? If you haven't looked at that yet, it's documented beginning on page 26 of the Strato Installation Guide.

Oh, you asked about cables. How are you connected from the Anthem to the JVC? Passive cable, or active cable, or HDBaseT/Cat6 extender, or fiber optic, or...?

Hi Mike,
Yes, I have both the alto and strato hardwired into a power line, they do see each other, the strato is only connected to the Anthem via HDMI, not the alto, is this correct? I will try tomorrow but how do i play a bluray in the alto without an HDMI connection to the receiver? Do i connect both?

Yes, i've looked at the documentation and the strato browsers interface, all is good except for "chroma" cannot do 4:4:4...I can see this in the browser interface just not on the screen as it continues to be an HDMI cable issue. I did go out and buy a 4k HDMI cable from the strato to the Anthem and that seems to have fixed one issue, I now have ordered an 18gbs HDMI cable from Amazon, will be here monday. Hopefully that will fix my display issue. I've had it for tonight and going to bed. thanks everyone for helping...just a little frustrated but have a feeling it will be on my end when the cable gets here.

Yes, if you want to put a Blu-ray disc into the Alto's drive and play it, then the Alto's HDMI will need to be connected to your system as well. We don't support playing a disc from a player's drive to another player. We do support playback of discs in a Disc Server, of course (with Strato support for that feature planned for May).

Yes, i've looked at the documentation and the strato browsers interface, all is good except for "chroma" cannot do 4:4:4...I can see this in the browser interface just not on the screen as it continues to be an HDMI cable issue
I didn't quite understand what you wrote there. Are you saying that you see 4:4:4 in the browser interface, but you're not seeing it on the screen?

Yes, if you want to put a Blu-ray disc into the Alto's drive and play it, then the Alto's HDMI will need to be connected to your system as well. We don't support playing a disc from a player's drive to another player. We do support playback of discs in a Disc Server, of course (with Strato support for that feature planned for May).

I didn't quite understand what you wrote there. Are you saying that you see 4:4:4 in the browser interface, but you're not seeing it on the screen?

Mike,
I was able to go into settings and set Strato to 10Gbps and now able to see the menu/all of my movies, before I was seeing nothing. i did this by clicking on "advance setting options and under 4k ultra HD support chose "limit output to 10.2Gbps" this worked and now has allowed me to see all of my movies. When I install the new 18Gbps cable this week i guess i uncheck this and set to "automatic"... Thanks, Michael

Mike hi,

Are we going to have the replication future in the Encore line? It will be really useful if we could duplicate/move content from a Strato player/server to another Strato or from/to a Terra server.

Thanks !

Mike hi,

Are we going to have the replication future in the Encore line? It will be really useful if we could duplicate/move content from a Strato player/server to another Strato or from/to a Terra server.

Thanks !

Replication is supported today between Encore components. Replication is not supported between Encore and Premiere systems.

Hmmm. So, there isn't any 30-bit content at 1080p -- it's all 24. All of the UHD content is 30-bit (a.k.a. 10-bit), so it should work if the display supports it.

If you look at the HDMI capabilities tool, what does it show in the "Supported 4K Ultra HD Modes" section? In the "NTSC" row, what does it say in the 60Hz tile?

Mike...

So when i was watching UHD content, the tools in the NTSC row showed
- 30hz at 4:4:4: 30 bit and
-60hz at 4:2:2: 30 bit

So does that mean i'm good to go with these cables?

All, just a quick update on my Strato...

1. Issues with download speeds, remedy by connecting to netgear extender from power line, before 7 to 9 hour downloads for UHD now 2 hrs 45 mins. Much better!!!

2. Video, old HDMI cables wouldn't work even though they were about a yr old. Remedy, bought 4K HDMI cables from Amazon last monday 1m and 25', installed them and everything worked immediately, left the 25' out of the ceiling for 5 days just to test and make sure it wasn't a fluke and so far not one drop out. Problem solved!!!

3. Any one with the new JVC's? When picking a scene from a movie using the Alto it would take up to 20seconds for the video to sync. Either the strato or the new HDMI cable has fixed the issue because that has now changed to 4 seconds. I'm not kidding and actually timed, I now get video quicker with audio lagging by one second. So I am very happy with this.

Any questions let me know,
Mike

All, just a quick update on my Strato...

3. Any one with the new JVC's? When picking a scene from a movie using the Alto it would take up to 20seconds for the video to sync. Either the strato or the new HDMI cable has fixed the issue because that has now changed to 4 seconds. I'm not kidding and actually timed, I now get video quicker with audio lagging by one second. So I am very happy with this.

Any questions let me know,
Mike

I have the JVC RS600. And yes, my video sync times are around 7-10 seconds if I had to guess.

That's great news, Applemike! The 25' cable you bought -- what kind is it? Is it an "active" cable, or just a high-quality passive?

Mike...

So when i was watching UHD content, the tools in the NTSC row showed
- 30hz at 4:4:4: 30 bit and
-60hz at 4:2:2: 30 bit

So does that mean i'm good to go with these cables?

Sorry for being a bit belated in replying to your question -- I wanted to double-check with our video engineering folks. Yes, those are the correct indications for 18 Gbps. (What threw me was the 4:2:2 indication, but this is correct because HDMI 2.0 doesn't support 4:4:4 and 30-bit at 60fps.)

One thing for everybody to understand: when you see these values reported properly, that means that the Strato is seeing that EDID information being passed back up the HDMI chain. Hopefully it's seeing that because every device in the chain is relaying information properly and reporting its capabilities correctly. But, we have seen cases where, for example, an HDMI extender system has an "EDID library", which just reports whatever you tell it to, regardless of what the display and other components are saying. So, there's that caveat.

The second thing to understand: EDID is the first step in verifying the signal chain. Once you see that your display's capabilities are correctly reflected, the next step is to make sure that content actually plays reliably. For example, you may have a cable that relays the EDID just fine, but that won't actually reliably carry the signal at full speed.

If you're seeing the correct values and you're getting stable, consistent operation, then it sounds like things are working well!

Naylorman, What sort of cable did you buy?

That's great news, Applemike! The 25' cable you bought -- what kind is it? Is it an "active" cable, or just a high-quality passive?

Mike,

I purchased the "Fusion4k HDMI cable" from Amazon at 3' and 25'. They do not state as active, so I assume they are passive. I've had them hooked to the strato for a week now and everything is working perfectly. Thanks, Michael

Mike, that sounds like one worth the "official" K test - agree? Drywall just went up so I'm still looking for the best option.

It's a well-done piece with lots of good technical detail, and it serves as a good overview of the technology. I would also encourage people who are interested to read the Strato Installation Guide, which makes some of these topics concrete with regard to planning for and completing a Strato installation.

Ok so i just plugged it back in and its showing "disc vault". does that mean I should just let it sit and it will update the software version automatically?

I did try the add component the first time i went on tonight. i clicked add and nothing appeared to happen. but when i refreshed the page, that is when i saw the communication failure. so i just went on the browser interface again just now (about 5 mins after plugging my vault back in), and i dont have the add component button and the vault isnt showing up. I assume i need to give it time?

So how did you end up getting this working?

I have the exact same problem!

Has anyone experienced audio dropouts with their Strato?

I haven't discovered a pattern yet - but with some movies every few minutes or so I get a very brief (less than a second) audio dropout.

I haven't experienced this with my other video sources (e.g. TiVo).

I am going to try to find a pattern (e.g., if it occurs with only certain types of audio tracks or if it only happens when set to bitstream).

Back