• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Slight image flicker (HDR)

tov5005

I've just connected a Strato C with a Sony XW6000es projector and have noticed a very slight image flicker (pulsing) in the image of a few titles, notably the Grinch (2018) and Despicable Me. I haven't tested many beyond these yet. It's especially noticeable in the bright areas of the image, where if you look closely it's as if it is constantly adjusting the brightness of that area. I assumed this was a result of one of the 'dynamic adjustment' settings but turning those off had no effect. When I look at both of these titles in HDR on my Apple TV (same projector settings), there is no issue. The image doesn't 'pulse'. Any ideas what this may be? I know it's always difficult to troubleshoot without all the specifics but hoping someone may have encountered this before.

I've tried the usual swapping of HDMI's and also running straight HDMI from Strato to projector, bypassing the receiver. Same problem is present. I also redownloaded both titles to the server.

For context, I have another Strato C connected to a Sony VW5000es projector and do not experience this issue. However, that setup is running through a Lumagen processor.

Now I'm thinking it's just excessive noise throughout the image. Makes it appear to be 'flickering'. I can't see any issues on K output or Projector info while playing.

Despicable Me.png

The noise is introduced by the higher brightness picture modes… Changing it to Reference or Cinema helped to alleviate. Just unfortunate, as I was hoping to take advantage of the extra lumens. Curious why it would only impact the Strato and not Apple TV.

This thread can be closed/removed if needed. Thanks

I, for one, enjoyed this little journey. It is good to know of your experiences, as the Sony projectors are on my list of possible upgrades in the future.

I, for one, enjoyed this little journey. It is good to know of your experiences, as the Sony projectors are on my list of possible upgrades in the future.

Haha well you’re welcome! I wouldn’t hesitate on the Sony projectors. In my experience, they’re phenomenal and honestly have never given me issues.

Unfortunately, the issues I’ve had have been on the K side. A Lumagen fixed some things in my other setup but I hate to commit another 4-5k just to get this to work as I expect. As mentioned, the Apple TV is working fine. No hate to K, I love the system… just wish it was a bit more plug and play.

How hard would it be to run the output of the other setup through the new projector?

Difficult, because i have everything racked up in that room. That’s a good thought though, as my next step was going to be swap out the other Strato C and see if there’s an issue with my new one.

But, as it turns out, the issue is with Sony’s new “Dynamic HDR enhancer” and how it plays with K. It’s auto turned on in higher brightness modes. Turning it off on the Sony removed the noise. I shouldn’t have been quick to blame K, but because I didn’t see the issue on Apple TV, I assumed. They just handle HDR differently. My dealer reached out to a Sony rep and confirmed there’s a known issue. They are hoping to address through an update.

I’ll follow back up here if/when I receive any news (in case anyone runs into this). Not too big deal for me though as I don’t put too much weight into ‘onboard’ HDR enhancement or tone mapping. If I wanted to pursue that, I’d probably go with an external processor. I did like the extra lumens though, so hopefully a fix is coming!

Back