• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Simplest way of triggering lights to brighten from Kaleidescape?

josh

Administrator
Staff member
Forum Administrator
⭐️⭐️PATRON⭐️⭐️
I know that Kaleidescape can send a command over TCP/IP when the lights should come up during a movie (typically as credits start to roll or when the user selects the "Intermission" feature).

I use Lutron RadioRa 2 throughout the house for lighting and have scenes specified in the viewing room that work great via remotes. Now I'd like to get the Kaleidescape to trigger lighting changes.

I know typically this is the domain of Crestron/AMX type control systems, but I refuse to use those as I have to be able to program my own remotes for changes that I make (often). (that and I like hard buttons for use in the dark by feel)

So I'm looking for a way to run some type of process that monitors the TCP/IP out from the Kaleidescape for the right triggers, and then sends the right command via TCP/IP to my Lutron RadioRa 2 main repeater. (it happily takes TCP/IP control commands if you know the syntax).

Is there a simple process I could keep running on a mac or a Raspberry Pi that let's me script that type of simple "if {tcp/ip stream from K says 'x'} then {issue TCP/IP command 'y' to device at IP address x.x.x.x}"?

Any ideas of the easiest ways to do something like this?

Thanks!

Maybe not quite as simple as you were wanting... But I use openHAB on a Raspberry Pi to accomplish this very this task. With the server monitoring the status updates from K over tcp/ip and my lights also controlled by openHAB with zwave, the meat of the rules end up looking like this:

rule "K intermission and credits rolling"
when
Item K_movie_location received update
then
// turn stair light on at 5% during intermission
if (K_movie_location.state.toString() == "04") {
Basement_Stair_Lights.sendCommand(5)
}

// turn back off when intermission over
if (K_movie_location.state.toString() == "03") {
Basement_Stair_Lights.sendCommand(OFF)
}

// credits rolling
if (K_movie_location.state.toString() == "05") {
Basement_Stair_Lights.sendCommand(100)
}
end

Great tip, thanks AW! Checking out the OpenHAB website, it looks like I won't even need a Raspberry Pi - The whole thing can run on a Synology Diskstation... got one of those running already.

Thanks much... eager to play with it.

Back