• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Request for Spears & Munsil 4K Store Content

TrackZ

I was thinking about 4K UHD demo content and such with K and this disc in particular:

It might be neat to have content off this disc in the store as a single title entry and have it scened to be able to jump into specific test sequences as a kind of special purpose demo entry, particularly the 4K HDR stuff like the horses, waves, and other scenes.

This has come up a few times. Last time in the thread asking for lip sync material. I think someone answered that it could not be done. Reason was the type of file that was used to create the disc version or something. Still would be a good idea!

Found it:

Has there been any hardware testing/reviews published on any credible home theater magazine or website on any of the Kaleidescape players?(Past or current models)

If the video output is accurate, such that it doesn’t have any chroma bug/delay, pixel shifting and measures well with the Rec.601/709/2020 standards then the calibration and test patterns aren’t really necessary. Light illusion and Calman don’t integrate with Kaleidescape. Without such integration, the Kaleidescape player would be a painfully slow pattern generator.

If anyone from Kaleidescape or an independent professional calibrator chimes in to confirm the accuracy of the video output, it would save me (us), $45 from buying this title (assuming K would charge the same as the disc) and countless hours of calibration unless you are a very efficient pro.

Perhaps @KDeering can comment if he has tested the Kaleidescape video accuracy. I know he is a very well regarded professional calibrator and an av expert. I used to enjoy his reviews on various video equipment which included results from a lengthy list of benchmark/torture/calibration tests. I don’t see such reviews often from anyone. Perhaps the more recent av hardware consistently benchmarks well which makes such rigorous tests unnecessary?

Having said all that, I did buy this disc when it came out. In my case, more is always better. So if Kaleidescape offers one more title on the Store, it can only be a good thing. As TrackZ mentioned, there are some nice 4K HDR content on this disc which can be useful for other things even if one didn’t need the patterns. There is even a lip sync pattern which is badly needed. Sometimes intents are misunderstood in online text, while I wanted to raise my “minor” counter argument, I am “majorly” supporting this request from TrackZ.

There is no way to test the output of the player as there is no way to generate content to test it with. The 422 output for movies definitely has chroma delay, but the 444 output does not. This can be seen in content. But without a way to test other attributes with test patterns it is hard to know if there are other problems objectively.

Back