• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Remote commands for Crestron

rbienstock

There's a programmer from my A/V integrator who is working on Crestron control of my Kscape system. Although he is a really good programmer, he doesn't have a lot of experience with Kscape and he's using a canned template from somewhere. Things are a little strange in this template. One of the biggest issues is that the command assigned to the Menu key (which he says is called "menu"), when pressed during a movie, takes you out of the movie to the screen that lets you chose the List, Covers or Collections views. I'm guessing that the proper command for this is called something other than "menu." Any ideas?

Also, I'm wondering if there are any commands that are not on the default remote. There are two that I would dearly love: Skip back 10 seconds, and toggle captions/subtitles. In an ideal world, there could even be a macro that would skip back 10 seconds, turn on captions, wait 10 seconds, then turn off captions. I'm getting old and deaf. :)

Kaleidescape has control modules and templates for Crestron, are they using those?

Jim

There's a programmer from my A/V integrator who is working on Crestron control of my Kscape system. Although he is a really good programmer, he doesn't have a lot of experience with Kscape and he's using a canned template from somewhere. Things are a little strange in this template. One of the biggest issues is that the command assigned to the Menu key (which he says is called "menu"), when pressed during a movie, takes you out of the movie to the screen that lets you chose the List, Covers or Collections views. I'm guessing that the proper command for this is called something other than "menu." Any ideas?

Also, I'm wondering if there are any commands that are not on the default remote. There are two that I would dearly love: Skip back 10 seconds, and toggle captions/subtitles. In an ideal world, there could even be a macro that would skip back 10 seconds, turn on captions, wait 10 seconds, then turn off captions. I'm getting old and deaf. :)
Control4 does the same with the menu key.

I would really like a dedicated caption on/off button/key too.

I think the command you want is the “Info” command while watching a movie. It brings up information about the movie. There IS actually a “skip back” command (which I use fairly frequently) and “subtitle“ commands.

Here is a link to the Command Protocol manual in case your are interested in seeing what is available:

John

Thanks John. I checked the manual and it is incredibly helpful. The REPLAY command is there as is the ability to do lots of cool things with discrete. There's also a DISC_OR_KALEIDESCAPE_MENU that will work like the Menu button on the white K remote. @Substance, you could reprogram your Control 4 to use that command. Unfortunately, the only subtitle button is SUBTITLES_NEXT which just cycles through all available subtitles. OK for most movies but deadly on Disney titles which can have 20-30 different languages.

Crestron Home or custom do you have a Simpl/Crestron Custom system?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry, do not know, we don't do Crestron. You can email Support and they should be able to confirm what Crestron systems are supported. (support@kaleidescape.com)

Jim
I believe this is the remote he is referencing. I think what first needs to be determined is if he is using Crestron Home or Crestron Simpl/custom as the base of his system. Easy way, is which iphone APP are you using to access the system? If it is Crestron Home, I know what the issue is, as the driver that is provided by the software maps automatically the buttons to the remote (and cannot be changed), and unfortunately you can't get the popup menu to show up. So there are two options, one utilizing ping triggers and a 3 series processor to provide some added options as quick actions or to just control the kalediescape via IR and create a specific use driver by capturing the commands from the OEM remote.

If this is Crestron Simpl (custom as in your dealer provided his own user interfaces for touch screen/iphones/etc..), then he/she can easily fix the button mappings on the remote to the correct commands with the crestron kaleidescape module.

If this is Crestron Simpl (custom as in your dealer provided his own user interfaces for touch screen/iphones/etc..), then he/she can easily fix the button mappings on the remote to the correct commands with the crestron kaleidescape module.
On my phone, the app I'm using is CrestronGo, but I'm mostly using the handheld remote that has hard buttons, but the touchscreen looks like it was generated by the same program because teh choice of backgrounds and other settings are identical between the phone and handheld. The iPhone app is absurdly minimalist. I've attached a screenshot. There are more options on the handheld. Neither the programmer, nor I were aware of the protocol manual. That has been helpful and he's already revised some buttons on the handheld. I now have a proper menu button and 5 second replay. We're working on the subtitle issue now. But a next subtitle command, while useful, is ultimately less useful than a macro, script or command that would simply call up the menu with the subtitle menu selected. You could then use the navigation keys to select the desired subtitles with fewer keypresses. Of course, most useful of all would be something that simply toggled the default subtitles on and off.

What other Kscape templates might be out there that I could point the guy to?

IMG_5670.PNG

On my phone, the app I'm using is CrestronGo, but I'm mostly using the handheld remote that has hard buttons, but the touchscreen looks like it was generated by the same program because teh choice of backgrounds and other settings are identical between the phone and handheld. The iPhone app is absurdly minimalist. I've attached a screenshot. There are more options on the handheld. Neither the programmer, nor I were aware of the protocol manual. That has been helpful and he's already revised some buttons on the handheld. I now have a proper menu button and 5 second replay. We're working on the subtitle issue now. But a next subtitle command, while useful, is ultimately less useful than a macro, script or command that would simply call up the menu with the subtitle menu selected. You could then use the navigation keys to select the desired subtitles with fewer keypresses. Of course, most useful of all would be something that simply toggled the default subtitles on and off.

View attachment 2440

This is very helpful, so you have Crestron custom which makes this much easier. Let me play with a few things over the next few days and I will see if I can find some options for you that you could have your programmer implement. I am thinking a simple stepper would easily get you to the subtitle menu and I could screen shot that in Simpl for your programmer to use. I did want to check what options the Kaleidescape module had first just in case.

The app and handheld are ultimately just talking to a Crestron Simpl program so in fairness he could do more on the app side but in our household the remotes are always king and programming can be costly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

View attachment 2440
Your request for a script (in Crestron terms) stepper to bring up the subtitle movie is quite easy after a quick test. Your programmer can use the following to accomplish this. 1642475704486.png
So your programmer is aware, here is the exact signals I pulled from the Kaleidescape module. The nice part of the status and settings toggle is that will bring up the popup menu. You would use this to exit the popup menu as well. For the stepper I used the navigation overlay signal to start as it always starts at the same position, and then three right presses will take you precisely to the subtitles. Works like a charm. I do not see anything in the module that brings up the popup menu directly to the subtitle page and/or turns subtitles directly on/off. Hopefully this helps

1642475878449.png

Regarding your subtitle issue, what subtitles are you typically wanting to engage? I ask because the Kaleidescape system has some subtitle preferences that might handle this for you, or they might not.

If you're looking for English subtitles when watching foreign-language content, this can be set up. If you want something like English subtitles when watching British shows (I do this often because it's sometimes hard to follow the vernacular), then that's not something that our preferences system currently accommodates.

Resurrecting this thread as the last post raises a question I've had: I noticed the HD version of some movies has a wide range of subtitle language options but the HDR version usually only has English. Is there any way to use the foreign language subtitles from the HD version on the HDR version? Bonus points if there's a way to automate that process on a Crestron remote (in keeping with the original point of the thread)

Resurrecting this thread as the last post raises a question I've had: I noticed the HD version of some movies has a wide range of subtitle language options but the HDR version usually only has English. Is there any way to use the foreign language subtitles from the HD version on the HDR version? Bonus points if there's a way to automate that process on a Crestron remote (in keeping with the original point of the thread)
As far as I know it is not possible as they are not inside the same container.

A while ago I recommended a feature which Oppo players have. You can plug a USB thumb drive with subtitle files to any Oppo player and have the player overlay those subtitles to discs which normally does not offer subtitles(or those specific subtitles).

A while ago I recommended a feature which Oppo players have. You can plug a USB thumb drive with subtitle files to any Oppo player and have the player overlay those subtitles to discs which normally does not offer subtitles(or those specific subtitles).
I would love for this feature to be added!

Where does one get these subtitle files?

John

I don't really use subtitles. I am not the expert but opensubtitles.org is well known one.

The Kaleidescape Crestron SIMPL module includes a command for NEXT_SUBTITLE. Connect this to a button your Crestron remote or CrestronGo app and you can cycle between the subtitle options of the current playing movie. In the top right of the On Screen Display, it will tell you what the current subtitle is. When you have cycled to the last subtitle option, it then returns to the top of the list (Subtitles Off)

Movies can have dozens of subtitles so cycling through them all can be a task. So just directly calling up the "STATUS_AND_SETTINGS" menu or "SHOW_NAVIGATION_OVERLAY" and selecting "Subtitles" may be better.

Back