• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Question for Terra users with c-strato

Since I got my Terra, ALL downloads (and I have a strato and alto) are handled by the Terra exclusively.

Am I correct in assuming that the only way I could see an integrated list of all my titles would be to make the Terra server and the Strato part of the same Encore System

Yes this is correct and anyway you don't really have a choice. You have to do it this way.

and have it replicate the content on the Strato to the Terra?
This is optional. When you merge them, even if the content is split between your Strato and your Terra you will anyway see an integrated list.

If so, could I watch content on the Strato with no problem other than the slowing down of the replication process? I wouldn't care how long replication took, so long as I could still watch a title on the Strato without fouling something up. Depending on the answer, I may decide to live with two lists for the time being.

This won't work as your Strato will be replicating its content to the Terra.

Is there a way to direct all new downloads from the Kscape store to the Terra rather than the Strato? If so, it should be an easy matter to delete a title from the Strato after I watch it and simply re download it to the Terra.

My understanding is that as soon as you activate your Terra server and you merge it with your Strato player all your downloads will go directly to the Terra.

telem -- Thanks a million for your informative post! It sounds as if my Terra-Strato combination will give me just what the doctor ordered. One more question, though: can I download a film from the Kscape store although the title is on the Strato but has not yet been replicated to the Terra?

I know that the Terra, with its hot swappable drives, provides a level of security which the Strato doesn't. That seems not to be a big problem, though, because even if the Strato should crash the films lost from its storage would still be available to re download from my library at the Kscape store.

You are absolutely right John. I recently replicated between two 3U servers, what you describe is still the case. Don't think that the process is different for the Encore system. But for those having only one player and one server it won't work.

Kostas

I wasn’t sure if the OP also had an Alto or might be adding a Strato C at the same time.

John

telem -- Thanks a million for your informative post! It sounds as if my Terra-Strato combination will give me just what the doctor ordered. One more question, though: can I download a film from the Kscape store although the title is on the Strato but has not yet been replicated to the Terra?

I know that the Terra, with its hot swappable drives, provides a level of security which the Strato doesn't. That seems not to be a big problem, though, because even if the Strato should crash the films lost from its storage would still be available to re download from my library at the Kscape store.

If a hard drive fails in the Terra it will automatically download the missing films from the cloud once the drive has been replaced. Which is basically the same as the Strato. There is no raid protection or hot swap drives in an encore system.

No I don’t think so. Theoretically you could but only if you acrivate your Terra server under your account as a different system only for that purpose and when it’s done you deregister and merge back with your Strato. I personally don’t see the point.

Re your comment about drives I am quoting Mike from a post back in 2015

http://www.kscapeowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2115&page=9
The Terra drives are not hot swappable like in the 1U and 3U servers, so you turn the Terra off, swap the drive, and turn it on again. It requires an ordinary screwdriver. A drive failure in a Strato or Alto would require professional service because disassembly is required.
If a drive fails in a Terra server, the content on that drive is unavailable for playback. After the drive is replaced, the content is restored from the "cloud". You also have the option of beginning content restoration immediately, if the remaining drives in the system have enough space to accommodate it. When you restore content, it gets queued up in your download queue in the same way that Movie Store purchases do, so you could re-order that queue to prioritize which movies you want to recover first.

Best,

Kostas

Kostas -- OK, thanks. It sounds as if I will be limited to watching disks over the course of how many days it takes for the content on my Strato to be replicated to my new Terra. I may decide to delete all or most of the Strato's content and re download those titles from my Kscape library. Anyway, there appears to be plenty of flexibility in an Encore System.

Thanks for your explanation that the Terra's drives are not hot swappable and explaining how lost content is restored once the drive that has failed is replaced. That's pretty neat!

Bear in mind there is no real need to move content from the strato drive to the terra, I've a 'full' strato and a 'full' alto, I then added a terra, but the two players are still 'full' of content which presents no overall issues to the platform.

I believe some extremely large systems could suffer leaving content on some players, but I doubt the odds of that are high.

Something about the players only able to serve movies to x other devices at the same time, vs the Terra server if I recall.

Kevin D.

Back