• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Question for Terra users with c-strato

CINERAMAX IOPH

Hi All, Here in the lab i have a strato. I cannot watch and download at the same time.

Would having a Terra and a Strto c allow simultaneous download and playback? or operates the same.

Yes, with the Terra you are supposed to be able to watch movies without affecting what you are downloading. I don’t have a Terra yet to try this out but that was what was said a while ago. It should act the same as a 3U server except 4K!

John

Hi All, Here in the lab i have a strato. I cannot watch and download at the same time.

Would having a Terra and a Strto c allow simultaneous download and playback? or operates the same.

Ditto. I have an Alto. When I first got the Terra, I could download at full speed while watching. Now, it's just like when I only had the Alto. If I'm watching something, the download gets so slow that it's basically stopped.

Ditto. I have an Alto. When I first got the Terra, I could download at full speed while watching. Now, it's just like when I only had the Alto. If I'm watching something, the download gets so slow that it's basically stopped.

It is going to depend on whether the download is going to the Alto or the Terra. If it is going to the Alto it will affect download speeds. If the download is going to the Terra and you are getting really so download speeds while watching a movie, check with K tech support.

John

It is going to depend on whether the download is going to the Alto or the Terra. If it is going to the Alto it will affect download speeds. If the download is going to the Terra and you are getting really so download speeds while watching a movie, check with K tech support.

John

How can you tell?

My Alto was full when I added the Terra about a year ago. For quite some time after adding the Terra, I could watch and download in parallel. Recently, I found it's no longer possible, like when I had only the Alto.

I don’t have an Alto but on my Strato and 3U paired system I can look at the browser of each and see which titles downloaded to which system. I assume you can do the same with the Alto.

If the Alto is still full however, it sounds like that’s not what is happening.

John

I have had a 6 TB Strato since June 2016. I have finally tired of filling it up, deleting recently viewed titles, and going through the slooow process of loading fresh titles from my Kscape library.

Today I pulled the trigger and ordered a 24 TB Terra Movie Server from the same local dealer who sold me my Strato. Really looking forward to getting it installed!

Am I right in my assumption that with a Terra server in my system, my downloads will not be suspended while I am watching a move using my Strato? If so, it would be a refreshing change.

Exactly that. I added a Terra to my config before the holidays and the whole system is much snappier, as well as zero impact when downloading.

Exactly that. I added a Terra to my config before the holidays and the whole system is much snappier, as well as zero impact when downloading.

That's great news! Despite its extortionate price, I need a Terra server in order to avoid waiting ~2.5 hours for a UHD HDR title to download. When I get the Terra installed, I plan to download my entire library on it. I have between 300 and 350 titles, about 25 percent of which are UHD HDR. Most of the rest are 1080P BD quality. Once I get that done, I should be good for the foreseeable future, even with the addition of the not inconsiderable number of new titles I seem to keep buying.

i'm in the process of re-downloading my library onto my Terra as i'm about 80% digital at this point. its always nice not having to use discs :)

Today I pulled the trigger and ordered a 24 TB Terra Movie Server from the same local dealer who sold me my Strato. Really looking forward to getting it installed!

Congratulations! I find that having more movies on the system makes it that much more fun to choose.

Thanks guys! Like naylorman32, I will be downloading to my Terra server all the titles in my library that are not already on my Strato. I still have to watch some films on disk in order to have both UHD HDR quality video and TrueHD Atmos or DTS:X MA immersive audio but there are not nearly as many films in that category as there were only a few months ago.

I started experimenting with the "Covers" version of my movies list and rather like it. I figured out that it collects the covers of other films it thinks are similar to the one I have selected and places them in close proximity. Pretty clever! This should be a really strong feature when I am trying to pick among 300-350 films.

Congratulations !

And in case you wish to to transfer the content of your Strato to your Terra server without re-downloading it, you can ask K support or your dealer to enable the replication feature on your Strato. You will then be able to replicate its content to your Terra server. It will be faster than downloading everything again, BUT the downside is that your system won't be available at all during the time of the replication. For a fully loaded 6TB disk on a gigabit network it should be roughly 6 days.

More info here:
http://www.kaleidescape.com/wp-cont...e-Replication-Reference-Guide-for-kOS-7.0.pdf

Enjoy !

Kostas

Congratulations !

And in case you wish to to transfer the content of your Strato to your Terra server without re-downloading it, you can ask K support or your dealer to enable the replication feature on your Strato. You will then be able to replicate its content to your Terra server. It will be faster than downloading everything again, BUT the downside is that your system won't be available at all during the time of the replication. For a fully loaded 6TB disk on a gigabit network it should be roughly 6 days.

More info here:
http://www.kaleidescape.com/wp-cont...e-Replication-Reference-Guide-for-kOS-7.0.pdf

Enjoy !

Kostas

Interesting! I was not aware of that feature!

Would it be more practical or make any difference in long term system stability to just wipe everything off the current player and start from scratch, just re-downloading everything to the Terra server?

I plan to make my Terra server and Strato components in a single Encore System. My Strato is already virtually full, it only has room for two more UHD movies, so I assume that all or most of my downloads after I get the Terra will go to the Terra.

My dream would be that Kscape market a UHD HDR capable disk player that would fully integrate with the other components of an Encore System. Alas, the conventional wisdom seems to be that it won't be happening any time soon and likely not at all. Oh well, I'm grateful for what I have.

Would it be more practical or make any difference in long term system stability to just wipe everything off the current player and start from scratch, just re-downloading everything to the Terra server?

No I don't think so. Personally I prefer to have my content in one place this is why I indicated this possibility.

The replication feature was very useful to me when I replaced the two 6TB Strato players of my Encore System(three 24TB Terra servers) with two Strato C players. I simply replicated the content of the two Strato players to the Terra Servers and I didn't have to download everything again.

Congratulations !

More info here:

Enjoy !

Kostas

The last time I did a replication (1U to 3U), I could see content as it was copied to the destination server. Asmofies showed up I could watch them on the new server as long as I had a player connected to it and had REGISTERED the new server prior to starting replication. If you don’t register the system all of the titles that transfer will show as “greyed” out.

The process may have changed for the Encore system.

John

If you do the replication, then the next step is to delete all the content from the current player so you end up in the same place. For the 3U server, the replication rate was spec’d to be approx. 1 day for each 1TB of data. Mine went slightly faster than this.

John

The last time I did a replication (1U to 3U), I could see content as it was copied to the destination server. Asmofies showed up I could watch them on the new server as long as I had a player connected to it and had REGISTERED the new server prior to starting replication. If you don’t register the system all of the titles that transfer will show as “greyed” out.

The process may have changed for the Encore system.

John

You are absolutely right John. I recently replicated between two 3U servers, what you describe is still the case. Don't think that the process is different for the Encore system. But for those having only one player and one server it won't work.

Kostas

Am I correct in assuming that the only way I could see an integrated list of all my titles would be to make the Terra server and the Strato part of the same Encore System and have it replicate the content on the Strato to the Terra? If so, could I watch content on the Strato with no problem other than the slowing down of the replication process? I wouldn't care how long replication took, so long as I could still watch a title on the Strato without fouling something up. Depending on the answer, I may decide to live with two lists for the time being.

Is there a way to direct all new downloads from the Kscape store to the Terra rather than the Strato? If so, it should be an easy matter to delete a title from the Strato after I watch it and simply re download it to the Terra.

Back