• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

QUESTION for Premiere Owners

An existing customer credit plus a "I survived the DMCA era!" t-shirt would be best. :)

I really did “laugh out loud” on that one!

I also wish there were a simpler way to know what’s in my vault compared to what’s available in the store. The sooner I get rid of that relic the better. Seems every 2 years a disc gets stuck and I have to pull that behemoth out of the rack for cleaning. What a pita

I had a few thoughts that echo previous comments. It cannot be understated that discs still offer the widest selection of content for the movie buff. There was an article that I read today about how Netflix's DVD rental business still has 3 million customers. One of the commenters noted that if one is into niche genres such as old westerns, martial arts flicks, musicals, etc. they are probably not going to find all the content that they are looking for using streaming services alone.

Another thought I had about a missing feature in the Strato is the lack of the ability to import user content. While the 'home movie' angle is probably not used a whole lot, the ability to import calibration discs, DTS/Dolby trailers, custom theater intros and so on is a very important one of the Premiere system. The Strato should allow limited import of un-encrypted user content. Something like a reverse Kaleidescape conductor to read in content from a DVD-R and BD-R should be implemented. It could even intentionally load at a very slow speed to discourage mass import of pirated content.

The best answer for me would be a 4K disc server on Encore. Absent of that, it would be full compatibility with all UV and Movies Anywhere providers and all studios. If either of those happened, then I guess it would be ok to be done with my Premiere system. However, I am fine with having both and the Co-star switch so hopefully it can stay that way long term. Plus, I still have 30 Mb/s download speed on a good day with the wind blowing and that won't get any better until 5G appears everywhere. So, the RAID protection on the 1U servers is a big thing for me. It is going to take forever to re-download everything AND crush everyone else's internet usage in the house when my first Strato disk fails...

I pleaded to Sony and K for a 400 Disc Player, the future is Strato and Terra. :)

Yeah, although I’m only an Encore setup, I consider my Alto/DV700 as kind of legacy. In my case, purchase every movie I can for the Strato and only disc purchases when K doesn’t offer. When I run out of room, I will add a Terra. Thank goodness for costar! SJ

Perspective from a very satisfied Encore customer...

Although I have never owned a Premiere system, I thought it might be helpful for me to share some of my experience as an Encore system owner in case an easy upgrade path becomes available from Kaleidescape.

I discovered Kaleidescape for the first time when they were just introducing the Encore system with the Alto, which was my first Kaleidescape purchase. I have since expanded my system to include a Strato C, a Terra server and a disc server (same as the disc vault in Premiere systems). This configuration allows me to use my Alto to play Blu-ray discs stored in the disc server (although the Alto is not necessary to play DVDs in the disc server since the Strato can already do this). With the introduction of Co-Star, I can now see all of the discs in my disc server on the Strato OSD, which is a HUGE improvement from before Co-Star when I had to switch to the Alto to see my Blu-ray titles.

I am also using a Lumagen Radiance Pro, which allows me to take advantage of Co-Star but without the HDMI hardware switch since Kaleidescape and Lumagen have just collaborated to make all the switching between the different inputs happen in the Radiance Pro.

Although my system cannot play music CDs, this is not really an issue for me since I can stream CD-quality music through Tidal and play hi-res audio through my Mirage Audio system. I do, however, use my disc server to play multi-channel music since I cannot do this on my Mirage system (and as long as the source is either DVD or Blu-ray it works just fine, with the only limitation being that I sometimes need to select the audio format from the top menu of the disc).

Bottom line is that with my Encore system I can enjoy movies downloaded from the Kaleidescape on-line store AND watch movies that are not available from the store on either DVD or Blu-Ray through the disc server.

The only thing that I am missing is the ability to play UHD discs on my Kaleidescape system. I have an Oppo for that now, but since Oppo is no longer developing new equipment I will be interested to see whether Kaleidescape tries to fill that gap.

I also have a Lumagen Pro and the new costar Lumagen Pro integration is fantastic! SJ

If I already bought a costar and I want to upgrade to a lumagen for processing and switching, do I already own a costar license?

Back