• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Problem playing back DVD / Blu-ray content from Premiere system

Yey!

Did you not get the amber light on any of the drives? One would think the server does periodic SMART check and give you early indication (amber light) before it actually fails.
It doesn't. A failing/weak hard drive with R/W errors will cause playback issues before it fails and the system flags it with a dealer warning and amber light.

I suspect you lucked out and it's OOW drives which are failing, otherwise he would have asked for your shipping details and ordered replacements. I don't know if they do that with customers directly or via the dealer on record.

It is possible to have playback issues because of a failing but not completely failed drive that does not trigger the Amber light. That light will turn Amber once the drive's read/write errors exceed a programmed threshold that identifies the drive as "failed."

Jim

What Rusty asked me to do when I got home was to shut off the Server with the failing drive and play some movies from the remaining Server and see how they act.
So far, I'm 30 minutes in to the first movie and it is playing perfectly.
It kind of makes sense that I believed all of my old disks were failing, when in fact it was just the single Server.
The odds were stacked toward failure. The remaining Server has 520 movies. The one I shut off has almost 3300.
So once I replace the disk in the shut off Server, I should recover all of my data.
Yay again!
Thank you to everyone who helped me through this event. I should have called K support first...

Chris

Sorry for the wild goose chase everyone...but I do appreciate the support.
The failing drive is a 4TB from 2010.
Not a bad life span I guess.

Sorry for the wild goose chase everyone...but I do appreciate the support.
The failing drive is a 4TB from 2010.
Not a bad life span I guess.
Since they rebuild at a similar speed as replication (~1T/day) the good news on being an older drive is you get more space and a faster recovery.
Makes sense. It will take a while but a little safer to do one at a time. 2 bad drives is critical as if you lose another drive during reconstruction, RAID K (probably similar to RAID5) can not recover.
Two simultaneous bad drives is [probably] critical for that reason, not the risk of being on the edge. You might be okay if the second drive was your hot spare, but preferably you've got a week between failures for it to complete the rebuild.

If they are from the same production badge, it´s not uncommon that drives are failing around the same time, especially during RAID rebuild.
So crossing fingers for you.

Makes sense. It will take a while but a little safer to do one at a time. 2 bad drives is critical as if you lose another drive during reconstruction, RAID K (probably similar to RAID5) can not recover.
Actually, it's absolutely imperative to do one at a time. RAID-K can recover from a single drive failure. If two drives fail or are removed at the same time, the array will be lost. The only exceptions would be if one of the failed drives has never had any content on it at all (in which case the filesystem will simply drop it and shrink the array size), or if it is an unused hot spare drive in a 3U server.

Question:
Should I replace the known bad HDD with the system powered off?
Or should I have the system up and running and then remove the disk to simulate a failure?
I'm not sure it matters, but I thought I should ask.

Thanks,

It doesn't matter, but I'd probably power down before installing the new drive if I had a failure. I might keep it powered up if I were concerned that I might have additional weak drives in the Server.

Jim

On my 3u, the drives sometimes are sticky and it's very easy to accidentally remove one next to the one I'm trying to get out, so I always pull powered down and make sure the others are secure.

Kevin D.

On my 3u, the drives sometimes are sticky and it's very easy to accidentally remove one next to the one I'm trying to get out..
The tension on the retaining tab of the hard drive can be adjusted to fine tune the mating in the server bay.

On my 3u, the drives sometimes are sticky and it's very easy to accidentally remove one next to the one I'm trying to get out, so I always pull powered down and make sure the others are secure.

Kevin D.
Thank you for the heads up.
I have powered mine off, and am waiting for the new drive.

I am happy to report: after replacing the defective hard drive, my system is running as it should.
Thank you all for your help.
Lesson learned: I should have gone to tech support first...

Chris

I am happy to report: after replacing the defective hard drive, my system is running as it should.
Thank you all for your help.
Lesson learned: I should have gone to tech support first...

Chris
You have 4TB more aggregate storage now?

Back