• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Problem playing back DVD / Blu-ray content from Premiere system

flitebynite

⭐️⭐️PATRON⭐️⭐️
I'm looking for some help,
I'm having trouble playing back Blu-ray or SD movies from my Premier system in my paired strato / Terra system through the co-star.
Every previously recorded Blu-ray or SD on to my Premiere system freezes during playback and I get the error message "difficulty reading movie".
I have upgraded all of the Ethernet cables to Cat 6a, and all of the HDMI cables to 8K.
The weird part is that all of the movies HD / SD I download to the Premiere server from the K store play back normally with no instances of freezing up.
Also, everything from the Terra / Strato is perfect.
Has anyone else experienced this?
Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,

Chris

Hi Chris, are you by chance trying the same movies for playback when you test the system? I'm wondering if a drive is failing....

Jim

Okay, then probably not a drive issue......

Jim

Sounds like a network issue. Try restarting your network components (router, switch, etc..) then all your Kaleidescape components. Did you make any changes to your network prior to this issue? Are you using managed or dumb switches?

Sounds like a network issue. Try restarting your network components (router, switch, etc..) then all your Kaleidescape components. Did you make any changes to your network prior to this issue? Are you using managed or dumb switches?
I did not make any changes to my system other than adding the Strato / Terra in to the mix.
Since the problem began, I have tried to troubleshoot the system as you described plus a few other ways.
I thought maybe it was the costar, but everything that is a download plays through it just fine following the same path as the old Premiere content.
I have gone as far as completely disassembling my system and pulling it all out of the rack, Inspected everything, and reassembled using all new / upgraded, Ethernet and HDMI.
I have changed out the player (M700 for 2nd M700). No joy.
Everything goes through my Yamaha Amp and I even tried a different amp. No joy.
I have shuffled my Ethernet cables around to different ports on the Araknis switch to no avail.
Dumb switches.
DHCP.
Question: Is all of the content from the Premiere system (old and Downloaded) played by the Premiere player?
My Amp sees it as the old player. Shows Kaleidescape as source. All 4K movies show as Strato on Amp source. So I'm thinking yes.
I also do not use a Lumagen or any other smart system.

I'm at a loss at this point.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris

Last edited:
Have you tried eliminating a possible network issue by connecting the player to the server with a cat6 patch cable directly and seeing if the issue persists?

Have you tried eliminating a possible network issue by connecting the player to the server with a cat6 patch cable directly and seeing if the issue persists?
I have not...

Next on the list.
Thanks,

The player didn't like that.
I instantly got the amber light on the front and it displayed: "Can not connect to other Kaleidescape components". I waited a couple minutes, but it did not go back to blue.
Thanks though...

I did not make any changes to my system other than adding the Strato / Terra in to the mix.
Since the problem began, I have tried to troubleshoot the system as you described plus a few other ways.
I thought maybe it was the costar, but everything that is a download plays through it just fine following the same path as the old Premiere content.
I have gone as far as completely disassembling my system and pulling it all out of the rack, Inspected everything, and reassembled using all new / upgraded, Ethernet and HDMI.
I have changed out the player (M700 for 2nd M700). No joy.
Everything goes through my Yamaha Amp and I even tried a different amp. No joy.
I have shuffled my Ethernet cables around to different ports on the Araknis switch to no avail.
Dumb switches.
DHCP.
Question: Is all of the content from the Premiere system (old and Downloaded) played by the Premiere player?
My Amp sees it as the old player. Shows Kaleidescape as source. All 4K movies show as Strato on Amp source. So I'm thinking yes.
I also do not use a Lumagen or any other smart system.

I'm at a loss at this point.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris
Do you see each Premiere component got its own separate IP address in the web interface? How about the Terra and Strato? Are they all on the same subnet?

Do you have any (including non-Kaleidescape) devices set up for static IP on your network? Is there any IP conflicts?

Do you see each Premiere component got its own separate IP address in the web interface? How about the Terra and Strato? Are they all on the same subnet?

Do you have any (including non-Kaleidescape) devices set up for static IP on your network? Is there any IP conflicts?
I have everything configured to DHCP. Nothing has an assigned static IP.
I have confirmed everything has it's own independent IP address. No duplicates.
As well, the systems are properly paired. Rusty made sure of this when I first installed the Terra / Strato components.

Hey Chris,

I'm not sure I understand the original post. Is the issue that only imported content (whether that be Blu-ray or DVD) fails to playback (showing the "difficulty reading movie" message)? And is it also true that all downloaded content (whether on Premiere or Strato/Terra) has ZERO issues?

Just seeking clarification on what plays and what does not. Was all the disc content imported recently or a long time ago? What about downloads? Are those all recent or done at the same time as imports?

In my experience, the message you are seeing is either:

A) a network issue​
B) a failing piece of hardware, most commonly a hard drive or file system​
By chance have you noticed if the error message appears at the exact same moment in each title where it appears? If you haven't, it is a valuable data point that may shed light on whether it is more likely A or B.

Thanks,
Andy

The player didn't like that.
I instantly got the amber light on the front and it displayed: "Can not connect to other Kaleidescape components". I waited a couple minutes, but it did not go back to blue.
Thanks though...
Did you reboot both the server and player after making the cabling changes?

It’s been a while but I believe this is a supported setup for troubleshooting purposes.

I have everything configured to DHCP. Nothing has an assigned static IP.
I have confirmed everything has it's own independent IP address. No duplicates.
As well, the systems are properly paired. Rusty made sure of this when I first installed the Terra / Strato components.
Remove the Strato/Terra/costar from the system. Make sure to disconnect all network connections to Strato/Terra. Let's see if the Premiere system on its own will function as it did before.

Do you have all Kaleidescape components on the same switch? How many switches do you have? Are they daisy chained or connected in star?

If you have any Microsoft/Apple/Google devices, go into its settings and do a restart. My Sony OLED is a Google TV. It caused all sort of havoc in my network last year. It was doing Mac (address) Randomization which created IP conflicts.

Hey Chris,

I'm not sure I understand the original post. Is the issue that only imported content (whether that be Blu-ray or DVD) fails to playback (showing the "difficulty reading movie" message)? And is it also true that all downloaded content (whether on Premiere or Strato/Terra) has ZERO issues?

Just seeking clarification on what plays and what does not. Was all the disc content imported recently or a long time ago? What about downloads? Are those all recent or done at the same time as imports?

In my experience, the message you are seeing is either:

A) a network issue​
B) a failing piece of hardware, most commonly a hard drive or file system​
By chance have you noticed if the error message appears at the exact same moment in each title where it appears? If you haven't, it is a valuable data point that may shed light on whether it is more likely A or B.

Thanks,
Andy
Andy,
You understand the problem correctly. All imported data copied from an original Blu-ray or DVD has playback issues. All downloaded data plays perfectly.
Also, the movies fail randomly at different points. Never the same. I can also rewind the movie or go back to the previous chapter and it will usually play through the spot that failed previously. Then the movie will play for a random amount of time and then freeze again.
Most of the previously imported data is old content. But even the newer Blu-ray disc imports are failing. All downloaded data is relatively new. I just recently upgraded to the new Strato / Terra.
The odd thing to me is I confirmed last night that the new downloaded data is sent to my Premiere server and plays back from there flawlessly...
Thanks for your help.

Chris

Last edited:
Did you reboot both the server and player after making the cabling changes?

It’s been a while but I believe this is a supported setup for troubleshooting purposes.
I did not.
Let me try that.
Stby
Thanks,

Remove the Strato/Terra/costar from the system. Make sure to disconnect all network connections to Strato/Terra. Let's see if the Premiere system on its own will function as it did before.

Do you have all Kaleidescape components on the same switch? How many switches do you have? Are they daisy chained or connected in star?
I only have the one Araknis switch.
Everything in the house runs through it.
I'll try your suggestion of removing the Strato / Terra system in it's entirety.
Thanks,

Last edited:
If you have any Microsoft/Apple/Google devices, go into its settings and do a restart. My Sony OLED is a Google TV. It caused all sort of havoc in my network last year. It was doing Mac (address) Randomization which created IP conflicts.
I don't own any Apple or Google devices.
My PC is a Microsoft device that I built.
I have a few Amazon Alexas in the house.
Next time I have an issue, I'll disconnect them to see if one of them is causing my issue.
Thanks,

Back