• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Problem playing back DVD / Blu-ray content from Premiere system

I may have figured it out...
I deleted 4 Blu-rays from my collection, removed the disks from the vault and permanently deleted them from the trash and then re-imported them from the original Blu-ray disk.
I am watching the first one now and I'm about 30 minutes into it with no faults so far. they normally freeze before this point, no matter which title I select.
I'll watch the rest tonight if this goes well.
It's nice that I may have figured it out.
Or maybe not nice...
With 320 Blu-ray disks in the Vault, that leaves 3400+ DVD's I need to find and re-import.
Wow, so many boxes to go through...
I sold my speed readers about a year ago, so this will be a long drawn out process.
If I find them all!
I really appreciate everyone's help with this!
If I am correct, this is not the best outcome for me (I was hoping for a hardware failure, not data), but I learned a lot.
Although, all this makes me ask:
Why did they all go corrupt at the same time?
And
Why don't they freeze in the same place every time?

Any other ideas or insights would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris

The next step is to get K support involved.
Thank you all,

Chris
I assumed that you already had reached out when you first posted. Nevertheless, I don’t think you wasted your time trying to find the issue. If you explain all the steps you have done so far, K support will have more information to go about diagnosing your server.

I may have figured it out...
I deleted 4 Blu-rays from my collection, removed the disks from the vault and permanently deleted them from the trash and then re-imported them from the original Blu-ray disk.
I am watching the first one now and I'm about 30 minutes into it with no faults so far. they normally freeze before this point, no matter which title I select.
I'll watch the rest tonight if this goes well.
It's nice that I may have figured it out.
Or maybe not nice...
With 320 Blu-ray disks in the Vault, that leaves 3400+ DVD's I need to find and re-import.
Wow, so many boxes to go through...
I sold my speed readers about a year ago, so this will be a long drawn out process.
If I find them all!
I really appreciate everyone's help with this!
If I am correct, this is not the best outcome for me (I was hoping for a hardware failure, not data), but I learned a lot.
Although, all this makes me ask:
Why did they all go corrupt at the same time?
And
Why don't they freeze in the same place every time?

Any other ideas or insights would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris
I think it took over a month to import about 1100 Blu-ray discs with 4 Disk Vaults when I first built my server. DVDs import a lot quicker but you have a lot more. Hopefully, K support has some ”magic” self-heal command they can run from their end so that you won’t have to re-import everything.

When I had data issues I just sent the file system back to K as an in-warranty RMA and they dealt with it. When the file system came back everything worked perfectly, except for three or four movie titles which couldn't be recovered.

When I had data issues I just sent the file system back to K as an in-warranty RMA and they dealt with it. When the file system came back everything worked perfectly, except for three or four movie titles which couldn't be recovered.
Between the two Servers, I have 8 6TB drives that are still in warranty with K.
The other 20 are older and not under warranty.
The 3U Servers are long passed their warranty time.
I will be working with K support to see what can be done though.
Thank you,

Chris

I don't think it matters whether the server is IW or OOW, what matters is the hard drives are IW.
I recently had a weak hard drive that was causing "problem playing movie" error but it was OOW. I decided to buy a new file system and do a replication rather than replace the weak hard drive with a new one and rebuild from parity data. More expensive doing it that way, but at least now I have the peace of mind of a set of IW hard drives.

I don't think it matters whether the server is IW or OOW, what matters is the hard drives are IW.
I recently had a weak hard drive that was causing "problem playing movie" error but it was OOW. I decided to buy a new file system and do a replication rather than replace the weak hard drive with a new one and rebuild from parity data. More expensive doing it that way, but at least now I have the peace of mind of a set of IW hard drives.
Thank you for the insight.
I appreciate it,

Chris

The other advantage in doing a replication instead of replacing a single hard drive is it places much less stress on the system. But it does take a long time to replicate because data on the weak hard drive needs to be read over and over again to get a good read on it. A basic replication with all good hard drives might take four days, but if one of the hard drives is weak it might take 10 to 12 days.

Rusty says I have one hard drive that is failing rapidly and another one right behind it.
He says it will cause the read errors I'm having.
He gave me a troubleshooting item to try, which I will do when I get home.
He also doesn't believe it's data corruption.
Yay!

Last edited:
The other advantage in doing a replication instead of replacing a single hard drive is it places much less stress on the system. But it does take a long time to replicate because data on the weak hard drive needs to be read over and over again to get a good read on it. A basic replication with all good hard drives might take four days, but if one of the hard drives is weak it might take 10 to 12 days.
Don’t you need empty HDD bays for this? Correct me if I am wrong but I thought a new file system was 3x HDDs for the 3U server. The Data on the 3U server is safe up to 2 drive failures. Assuming you have your 3U server fully populated with 14 HDDs, If you swap 3 drives with the file system drives, you would lose all your previous data. No?

Don’t you need empty HDD bays for this? Correct me if I am wrong but I thought a new file system was 3x HDDs for the 3U server. The Data on the 3U server is safe up to 2 drive failures. Assuming you have your 3U server fully populated with 14 HDDs, If you swap 3 drives with the file system drives, you would lose all your previous data. No?
They are still functioning thankfully, so he told me to swap them out one at a time and wait for the data recovery to happen. Then swap out the second failing drive.

Rusty says I have one hard drive that is failing rapidly and another one right behind it.
He says it will cause the read errors I'm having.
He gave me a troubleshooting item to try, which I will do when I get home.
He also doesn't believe it's data corruption.
Yay!
Yey!

Did you not get the amber light on any of the drives? One would think the server does periodic SMART check and give you early indication (amber light) before it actually fails.

Yey!

Did you not get the amber light on any of the drives? One would think the server does periodic SMART check and give you early indication (amber light) before it actually fails.
I haven't seen an amber light.
The really bad disk has had over 2400 read errors, but has not fully stopped functioning. So no amber light.

They are still functioning thankfully, so he told me to swap them out one at a time and wait for the data recovery to happen. Then swap out the second failing drive.
Makes sense. It will take a while but a little safer to do one at a time. 2 bad drives is critical as if you lose another drive during reconstruction, RAID K (probably similar to RAID5) can not recover.

I haven't seen an amber light.
The really bad disk has had over 2400 read errors, but has not fully stopped functioning. So no amber light.
Are they under warranty? If they aren’t, at least you will be upgrading them to larger 6TB drives, right?

Replication, as in, server to server to copy over all of the data. You can't play content on the source server whilst in replication mode, but you can play content on the destination server whilst replication is in progress. Although I only have direct experience with 1U's. 3U's might be different. Certainly in a 1U you don't want two weak discs.

Also let us know how long the recovery takes. I have seen RAID5 setups take up to a month to recover a failed drive :0 I believe the 3U server has hardware RAID which should be much quicker.

Are they under warranty? If they aren’t, at least you will be upgrading them to larger 6TB drives, right?
I have 8 6TB drives between the two Servers that are still under warranty. All of the others are old 4's and 2's out of warranty.
I'd be lucky if were one of the 6's that has failed.

Back