• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Problem playing back DVD / Blu-ray content from Premiere system

Thank you all for your help.
You have definitely given me some troubleshooting avenues to pursue.
I need to go to work shortly and I won't be able to try any until I get home this evening.
But I do appreciate the perspective you all bring.

Thanks again,
Chris

Thank you all for your help.
You have definitely given me some troubleshooting avenues to pursue.
I need to go to work shortly and I won't be able to try any until I get home this evening.
But I do appreciate the perspective you all bring.

Thanks again,
Chris
Happy to help! You said everything was working fine before you added the Strato/Terra. I am curious if the issues will occur again after you "temporarily" remove the Strato/Terra.

Did you have problems with Blu-rays disc imports only or DVD imports as well? The servers needs to confirm with your disc vault to view any Blu-ray disc imports. I wonder if there is an issue with your disc vault. If your server is grandfathered in, DVDs should playback fine even without the disc vault.

I'm not surprised the player didn't like the direct connection, since nothing has static network settings. Should it be able to just work on layer 2? Arguably, but that's not the problem we're hunting right now.

Have you tried playback of the titles separately, without running through the Costar? Did you try swapping the Stratro it was paired to or Costar it was paired through?

I tried to play another few Blu-ray and DVD movies last night and still had some issues with them randomly freezing. I shut off and disconnected everything from the network switch that was not K related and this did not help.
I tried to shut off all of the Strato / Terra components, but the Premiere system wouldn't play because the system is paired. I need to go through the un-pairing process and get back to Premiere only and see how it does.
I also need to eliminate everything and play direct from K to a display to see how that works.
Back to basics I guess.
Thanks all,

Chris

Last edited:
I definitely don't envy you Chris. Sounds like a real pain 😭.

Typically, when freezing does not occur at the same moments it leads me to believe that the messages appear due to a network issue (or maybe some other weird, intermittent environmental cause). Had freezing always been at the same moments, I'd suspect a read error on one or more hard drives.

Now, with that said, the fact that downloads don't exhibit the same behavior is the real head-scratcher in your case, and what causes me to pause. You'd normally expect the higher bitrates of HDR/UHD to bring on a playback problem (due to a network issue) before HD or Blu-ray, and long before SD or DVD. Knowing that is not the case definitely suggests that network bandwidth is not your issue. Could it be some other odd network issue? Sure, but I can't imagine what that is right now.

From there it seem logical to ask, "What is the difference between playback of downloaded content and imported content"? The most obvious difference was already pointed out earlier in the thread, and that is disc presence requirement of Blu-ray. However, in that case, I believe you'd be seeing a totally different message and likely a complete playback failure. In addition to that difference, there are surely subtleties with the playback engines under the hood, but K would need to help pinpoint any potential that that is contributing (I'm not sure how likely that is).

I believe you said you contacted K support? Were they able to locate any instances of "Difficulty reading movie" in the logs? If not, finding a couple instances where you are certain of timestamps (take some notes 🤓) may potentially shed some light on what is happening. Keep in mind, they may not find a silver bullet, but may be able to at least get you headed in a more definitive direction.

Good luck,
Andy

You'd normally expect the higher bitrates of HDR/UHD to bring on a playback problem (due to a network issue) before HD or Blu-ray, and long before SD or DVD. Knowing that is not the case definitely suggests that network bandwidth is not your issue.
Except the 4k content would never be played from the Premier side.

Just to ask, did you notice any playback differences when running SD/HD downloads from the Encore vs. Premier sides?

Just to ask, did you notice any playback differences when running SD/HD downloads from the Encore vs. Premier sides?
I've only had the Premiere components up until I just added the Strato/Terra components a couple months ago.
All downloads, whether SD, HD, or UHD play perfectly. Every single one.
All existing content that was imported from disk and stored on the Premier server is glichy.

I've only had the Premiere components up until I just added the Strato/Terra components a couple months ago.
All downloads, whether SD, HD, or UHD play perfectly. Every single one.
All existing content that was imported from disk and stored on the Premier server is glichy.
Which firmware are you on with your 3U server? Mine is on kOS 8.11.0-24096 since May 24.

When you bring the info bar during playback, the premiere side doesn’t exactly match the encore. Please see Starman on Encore and Lost in Space on Premire. Encore can upscale to 4K otherwise they are identical in audio and video quality. Content on Encore starts a second or two quicker due to no switching delays (but the Co-Star switch is pretty fast). Premiere players have adjustable video noise reduction.
IMG_3612.jpeg

IMG_3611.jpeg

I have exactly the same on the same day
I unplugged my Disk Vaults while playing a Blu-ray import to see if it will stop the playback but it didn’t. I was not able to resume the same movie after I stopped. It seems it does the disc check in the beginning only. You can rule out Disc Vault issues.

It’s a wild guess but how about HDCP issues? Are you able to try a different TV? or at least change HDMI inputs?

I unplugged my Disk Vaults while playing a Blu-ray import to see if it will stop the playback but it didn’t. I was not able to resume the same movie after I stopped. It seems it does the disc check in the beginning only. You can rule out Disc Vault issues.

It’s a wild guess but how about HDCP issues? Are you able to try a different TV? or at least change HDMI inputs?
I'm working some troubleshooting right now.
I have shut off all of the strato / Terra equipment and have added a non-paired premiere player. Just getting ready to fire it up.
Stby.

In this configuration the first movie I played failed.
Moving on to more.

I'm working some troubleshooting right now.
I have shut off all of the strato / Terra equipment and have added a non-paired premiere player. Just getting ready to fire it up.
Stby.
Good luck man. It’s a weird issue. Let us know what you find out.

I have continued to retrograde my system.
With the Strato / Terra system removed and just a stand alone unpaired Premiere player, it does exactly the same thing. Except of course I can't play 4K.
So, I disconnected everything from the Amplifier that does the video pass through. It still locks up...
The only thing left is the network switch. Which doesn't make any sense to me because you would think the higher bit rates, not the lower ones would be the issue.
As a note: I tried two different displays. The existing Sony projector and a stand alone 4k monitor.
I guess my only step left is to swap out my network switch.
If this doesn't work, there may be an unexplained fire in my entertainment center... just kidding...

I have continued to retrograde my system.
With the Strato / Terra system removed and just a stand alone unpaired Premiere player, it does exactly the same thing. Except of course I can't play 4K.
So, I disconnected everything from the Amplifier that does the video pass through. It still locks up...
The only thing left is the network switch. Which doesn't make any sense to me because you would think the higher bit rates, not the lower ones would be the issue.
As a note: I tried two different displays. The existing Sony projector and a stand alone 4k monitor.
I guess my only step left is to swap out my network switch.
If this doesn't work, there may be an unexplained fire in my entertainment center... just kidding...
You can try re-importing a couple of Blu-rays and DVDs to see if that helps.

If everything you mentioned and re-importing fails, the only thing I can think of is a corruption in the kOS on your Premiere server. If your HDDs are under warranty, I think K could wipe the drives and reload a fresh kOS image for a small fee. You would have to import all your discs again.

Last edited:
You can try re-importing a couple of Blu-rays and DVDs to see if that helps.

If everything you mentioned and re-importing fails, the only thing I can think of is a corruption in the kOS on your Premiere server. If your HDDs are under warranty, I think K could wipe the drives and reload a fresh kOS image for a small fee. You would have to import all your discs again.
I hope it's not corrupt data.
Besides the 73 4K movies I have downloaded on to my Terra, I have 3809 movies that will need to be re-imported.
Of course the Blu-rays in my vault wouldn't be a horrible endeavor, but the remainder of the DVD content would be difficult at best. Finding all of the old disks would be daunting...
I'll keep everyone posted.

Thank you!
Chris

I hope it's not corrupt data.
Besides the 73 4K movies I have downloaded on to my Terra, I have 3809 movies that will need to be re-imported.
Of course the Blu-rays in my vault wouldn't be a horrible endeavor, but the remainder of the DVD content would be difficult at best. Finding all of the old disks would be daunting...
I'll keep everyone posted.

Thank you!
Chris
This is the problem with RAID arrays and why redundancy RAID arrays aren’t considered backups.

Hopefully it’s not corrupt data. Now that you mentioned nearly 4000 movies on your server, I wonder that number is too many for the good old 3U server to index and maintain. The 3U Server spec sheet says it can hold over 10 thousand DVDs though.

There is little to worry about with the size of your library. I’ve seen much larger that functioned w/o issue.

Considering it’s the weekend, I’d wait and talk to your dealer/K support on Monday before jumping to any silly conclusions.

Andy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with Andy, best to wait and see what K Support say from the logs etc. As for library size that isn't a worry (unless you have to reload from disks :cry: ) as I have >7000 DVD titles on my 3U and >2200 CD's without issue. I have very very occasionally had an error reading disk and rebooting the player rather than the server resolved it.

Back