• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

OpenHAB for Kaleidescape

Hmm, it is possible your Synology/openHAB instance is on a different subnet than your K gear? It only scans the subnet that openhab is running on.
no, definitely not. one subnet for whole home.

Hmm then it is possible that discovery is not woking on the Strato because it does not conform exactly to the PDF control protocol spec for the GET_NUM_ZONES or GET_DEVICE_TYPE_NAME responses or some other bug. I don't have a Strato to test with.

Strato, Strato S, and Strato C all respond to GET_NUM_ZONES with:
Code:
01/1/NUM_ZONES:01:01:/xx

The response to GET_DEVICE_TYPE_NAME will be as follows:
Code:
Strato
01/1/000:DEVICE_TYPE_NAME:Strato:/xx
Strato S
01/1/000:DEVICE_TYPE_NAME:Strato S:/xx
Strato C
01/1/000:DEVICE_TYPE_NAME:Player:/xx

Hi John,
Thanks for checking on that. I was using the document Kaleidescape-System-Control-Protocol-Reference-Manual.pdf, dated October 2018 as a reference. This is the most current available on the support page. On page 52, it only mentions 'Strato' and not 'Strato S' or that 'Player' can also be a Strato C.

Crontrol protocol - page 52.jpg

Also for a Strato when responding to GET_NUM_ZONES, wouldn't the second group of numbers be '00' since Strato does not have a music zone? I would see this as the only way to tell the difference between a Strato C and a Premier player (M300/500 , K6000/5000, etc.) since those also respond to GET_DEVICE_NAME with 'Player'.

1593093442355.png

Also for a Strato when responding to GET_NUM_ZONES, wouldn't the second group of numbers be '00' since Strato does not have a music zone?
It should be '00' but it's '01'. It's a long-standing known issue with the kOS control protocol implementation for Encore devices (since they don't support music CD playback). There are other quirks as well that we just haven't had the cycles to go back and fix.

If you're just trying to identify devices specifically for your autodiscovery process, you could add in a call to GET_FRIENDLY_NAME. It won't necessarily tell the user (or your code) what type of device it is but it will help to identify which device it is more easily than just using a serial number.

Wow, I've finally gotten it all working and it's great. I've got Kaleidescape controlling the lighting in our main viewing room perfectly. Lights fade down to nearly off at the start of a movie, fade up to a medium level if "Intermission" is triggered, and fade up to a normal level at the end credits or if a movie is stopped, and I've set all of it to only do this type of control if it's after 8pm and before 5am. It's fantastic... and all without an overkill (for me) big Crestron or C4 system. OpenHab is very impressive and I plan to start adding more to it in the future.

If you consider yourself a hobbyist/tinkerer and you're looking for a way to integrate disparate systems in the home (things like "If X turns on, turn on Y", or "if X happens and Y is in state Z, announce "{whatever}" through all the {Sonos|Alexa|Google} in the house")

There are connectors for OpenHab for hundreds of devices/systems, and once you get the basics, it's not hard to script things to work the way you want.

Since there's a binding for Ubiquiti Unifi system, my next project is adding voice announcements over all Sonos if any access points go down or if the internet isn't reachable through the gateway.

Huge thanks to @AlienWarlock who authored the Kaleidescape binding for OpenHab and spent an amazing about of time getting me up to speed on OpenHab and helping me track down some configuration problems.

Screen Shot 2020-06-28 at 10.49.58 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-06-28 at 10.58.44 AM.png

Nice Josh! So you got OpenHAB running on your NAS?

John

Yes, it was actually pretty easy to get it running, it's a package offered right in the Synology interface. Much better/easier than a RPi.

Good to know - I have a Synology NAS. I may look into this.

John

Hey guys, what Synology model are you using? Reliability? (I've been debating adding one to one of my systems.)

Jim

mine's an older DS1515+ model, but it's been totally reliable for many years.

Mine is also a DS1515+. Not really used in with Kalidescape though. Server grade disks used. Fully reliable, no problems with anything. Running 24/7 since June of 2015.

Paul

Oh and a really nice job with OpenHAB Josh! Looks like a lot of potential power there to exploit. Thanks for sharing!

Paul

Mine is a DS918+. Just added a year ago to use as a Roon Core and for my wife to store and edit photos. No problems at all so far.

John

Back