• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Non HDR UHD?

boskonay

Many new titles now seem to be in HD and HDR - but no UHD version - is this likely to remain the case? (Having three 4k TV's but none with HDR support makes this a bit of a pain :(

Many new titles now seem to be in HD and HDR - but no UHD version - is this likely to remain the case? (Having three 4k TV's but none with HDR support makes this a bit of a pain :(

On a recent install we helped with the client was in the same situation. They opted to go for a small unit that strips the HDR data out so you can download and play all the HDR titles but you just get regular UHD on the display or you can have UHD with expanded colour gamut if your TV's support it.

Are the HDR titles encoded like the lossless audio formats where there is core data and then the HDR data is additional?

On a recent install we helped with the client was in the same situation. They opted to go for a small unit that strips the HDR data out so you can download and play all the HDR titles but you just get regular UHD on the display or you can have UHD with expanded colour gamut if your TV's support it.

I've been investigating that, as I don't want to change the displays yet, and so far no luck finding anything that will do that?

When I purchased my second Strato, this was for a high end 1080P TV (second zone) that at some point I will replace. The Strato could downscale 4K to 1080P and it worked great. However, then came along HDR. Wish the Strato could downscale 4K HDR2020 to 1080P SDR709, but it can’t. And I doubt they will ever add this. SJ

Does this product handle the tone mapping well (HDR to SDR)?

I’m not sure on the specifics on how it handles the mapping from HDR to SDR. It does not have user adjustable tone mapping. The best use for it is to have a main zone with 4K HDR in bypass and legacy zones in 1080p. Critical viewing would be in the main zone but kids playroom could still get access to all HDR content on 1080p display. I would not use for critical viewing of downgraded 4k to 1080p. However, it still looks great on a 1080p display.

Back