• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Noise isolation ideas for Terra server?

grit

I'm incredibly fortunate to have a Terra 88TB server. As was noted in this thread though, the mechanical noise of the drives is quite loud (like old SCSI drive loud). New terra server (88tb) very noisy HDDs!. Unfortunately, I have one of those more humble homes/setups where I do not have a network closet/rack or great location to place my server where I won't hear it.

I'd love to hear any solutions someone has found. At this point, I'm considering noise isolation within my audio equipment cabinet (similar to what is used in automobiles) or possibly a noise-isolated 2U wall-mount server rack to place it in the master b/r closet.

- Garrett

Keep in mind that you only need an Ethernet connection and a power outlet, which means anywhere you can run a network cable (and isn't too hot) is a potential location you could install your Terra server.

Personally, I ran a network cable to a hall closet, installed a power outlet, and my 40 TB Terra server has lived there with my disc vault for several years. I did also install an exhaust fan (w/sensor) in the ceiling, but it rarely ever runs.

Andy

I appreciate that idea, and it is a possibility. Getting an ethernet cable there in a 2-story home will be a challenge, but power exists. The constant ticking noise will get complaints from my family for sure, even behind a closet door. I just need something to muffle it somewhat. A 3U wall mount vertical chassis lined with Dynamat may be the solution, but I still need to account for airflow into to the Terra.

How'd you mount/sit yours? On a shelf or?

Do be sure that any solution you're considering will provide adequate ventilation. There are specs on the datasheet for airflow. I believe that the spec for the full-sized Terra server (original and Prime) are both 10CFM of airflow. We quote the original Terra at 154BTU/hr. I don't see the BTU/hr spec for the Prime but I can ask if needed.

How'd you mount/sit yours? On a shelf or?
It is a typical hall closet ... nothing special. I simply cleared off the top two shelves where my Terra and disc vault rest along with an 8-port network switch ... no special mounting equipment needed.

Here is a shot where you can see the in-ceiling exhaust fan/sensor. Nothing impressive, but it has worked great.

closet rack.jpg

Andy

Andy, which exhaust system are you using?

Jim

Thanks Andy!

(Yes, all well here, thank you, hope the same for you!))

Jim

It is a typical hall closet ... nothing special. I simply cleared off the top two shelves where my Terra and disc vault rest along with an 8-port network switch ... no special mounting equipment needed.

Here is a shot where you can see the in-ceiling exhaust fan/sensor. Nothing impressive, but it has worked great.

View attachment 4707

Andy
Hey Andy,

So sorry for the late reply.

Is that fan pushing air up into the attic?

- Garrett

Is that fan pushing air up into the attic?
In a configuration like that, you would want it to be an exhaust, so yes, it pulls hot air from the closet into the attic.

Andy

I'm incredibly fortunate to have a Terra 88TB server. As was noted in this thread though, the mechanical noise of the drives is quite loud (like old SCSI drive loud). New terra server (88tb) very noisy HDDs!. Unfortunately, I have one of those more humble homes/setups where I do not have a network closet/rack or great location to place my server where I won't hear it.

I'd love to hear any solutions someone has found. At this point, I'm considering noise isolation within my audio equipment cabinet (similar to what is used in automobiles) or possibly a noise-isolated 2U wall-mount server rack to place it in the master b/r closet.

- Garrett
I'm now encountering the fan noise and it does get loud. I was watching Dune yesterday and the scene was quiet and all I heard was the fan noise from the Terra. I need to move the Terra but my only good option is to place it in a closet where my network equipment is located.

Back