• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

New terra server (88tb) very noisy HDDs!

battbot

Hey all, I'm new to the K ecosystem. I just received a brand new Terra server (88tb), set it up, and immediately noticed that the HDDs were making very loud mechanical noises -- I can hear it from across the room about 30 feet away! I know it's normal for HDDs to make noise, but the volume of noise these HDDs are making is way too excessive. I can feel the top of the Terra chassis vibrate whenever the HDDs are making noise. It is so loud that I was forced to move it to my utility room!

There's no way this is normal, right?

As a side note, when I moved the Terra server from my theater room to my utility room (very gently!), when I booted it back up, "my-kaleidescape" said one of my HDDs had failed and I only had ~65TB capacity. So I had thought to "restart" the server from within the web-interface, and after the Terra restarted it was now showing the full 87.5TB capacity and no HDD failure. This may be completely unrelated, but thought I'd share.

I took a video of the noise:

I'd send this to support. Doesn't seem normal, especially with the failed drive notification - whether it came back or not. Support should be able to view your logs and see what happened.

Agree with the earlier advice regarding contacting Support, but your dealer should initiate that contact by starting a Case with Support.

Obviously K Support will still help you directly, but they'll reach out to your dealer at some point "if" a drive is failing (exceeds a specific threshold of read/write errors).

Jim

Actually, it sounds normal to me. When a Terra is initially set up, it can take quite some time for the file system to fully initialize across all of the drives. In the case of an 88 TB Terra, it can take 24-48 hours if the system is just left alone. It can take longer depending on what other activities are going on on the server (playback, downloads, etc.). Once that initialization process has completed, the drives should quiet down.

As for the drive going missing and then coming back after a reboot, this is a known issue that will be fixed in an upcoming kOS release.

Actually, it sounds normal to me. When a Terra is initially set up, it can take quite some time for the file system to fully initialize across all of the drives. In the case of an 88 TB Terra, it can take 24-48 hours if the system is just left alone. It can take longer depending on what other activities are going on on the server (playback, downloads, etc.). Once that initialization process has completed, the drives should quiet down.

As for the drive going missing and then coming back after a reboot, this is a known issue that will be fixed in an upcoming kOS release.
This is basically what K support emailed me back with. However, I still think the fact that it can be heard 30 feet away on the other side of the room means that it's excessively loud. The sound of mechanical HDDs is not something I want to hear during the quiet scenes of a movie. Better dampening to reduce this noise should be applied to a $20,000+ product IMO.

A Terra server is not supposed to be placed inside a theater room. As it only require a LAN connection and nothing more, it should be possible to find a suitable space for it somewhere else in the house.

Back