• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

NEWS: New Terra 72TB Coming Soon

We can certainly speculate about the costs, and I cannot argue with your numbers, like mine they're hypothetical. I used $1,000 as a cost just to do the math to indicate why I don't think we'd see those sized drives available as add-ons, your numbers are just as valid and further support that point.

We can do the drive cost mark up thing for the 1000th time, we seem to come to this whenever larger drives are introduced, and usually with those relatively new to K, but Kaleidescape is not a drive retailer, they're not an IT supply store either, they're a niche business with a lot of skilled personnel that don't work for minimum wage. Their pricing takes all of their operational costs into consideration, so yes, they're not cheap, never have been, and each individual decides for themselves whether they're willing to pay the price to own a K product. That's just the way it is, and it's unlikely any of this will change, so we either believe it's worth the cost of ownership, or we move on.

Jim
Sorry, I wasn't attempting to argue their value at all. I also was not aware of the many multiple drive cost mark up discussions that have come before this one. I have run a small business and had to defend my markups many times before so I was not attempting to make any assumptions or judgements on their prices.

I was merely adding in my $0.02 into the speculation about a standalone product that, as you have said, does not exist and may not exist for quite some time, if ever. I was not trying to decry the costs just having a bit of fun with math since you had professed it not to be a strong suite, so I ran the numbers for my own thoughts and wanted to share the results. Storage is always an area in which companies can cover their expenses but there is also a huge amount of volatility, especially now with Chia, in that space.

I'm still planning on saving up for a 72 TB Terra, and was just having some fun with the math. I apologize for lunging headfirst into a obviously well-marked minefield despite no ill intentions.

I too have stretched myself to get into this market as I believe in this product and so far it hasn't let me down and I plan on supporting it further. (Purchased 5 more movies this morning)

So again, sorry for treading somewhere where I meant in just a fun thought exercise and not to start a pricing war or company value discussion.

I'll stick with my old Premiere system for now I guess.

Last edited:
@CPickler, hey my friend, I know I quoted you in my response, but to be clear it was intended to be a general comment, and not aimed at you, and with a re-read on my response it's clear I failed to convey those comments correctly. I know we have a lot of new folks on the forum and also new owners, so I was attempting (poorly done) to note we've had these drive cost discussions numerous times in the past.

NOT @CPickler. One other comment, although I'm a well know biased defender of just about all things K related, I realize others may have a different opinion, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that, it's expected on Forums. I know that some folks think I'm intolerant of those that post negative comments from time to time, and they interpret any response from me as being an effort to shutdown those comments, but I can assure you that is never my intent. This is a free forum, people have a right to comment on anything K, or A/V related, positive or negative, whether I agree or not. Criticism has the best chance of effecting change, positive comments only produce nods of agreement.

I have many friends on this forum, and some regularly post comments that could be viewed as negative, that's their right, and their comments have never affected my friendship with them, in the end, we're talking about AV gear, not life and death subjects. I'm currently more focused on trying to help get a few friends out of a bad situation overseas, and that's real.

Reasonable minds may differ........🙂

Jim

Reasonable minds may also agree :)

Cost, price, value, emotion, perceived value etc. are all different ways of looking at the same thing which contribute to the overall need to self justify any purchase and especially a high priced item, but then we take and make those decisions generally based upon a combination of reasons. Disks are a commodity item so cost and price are well known and even I have my view when a WD Purple drive is delivered whereas in the past they were at least Enterprise class drives so there was less differential but that is a small price to pay for the innovation and viewing experience Kaleidescape has brought us over the many years.

At least when buying a Kaleidescape system it is easy to get in to and enjoy unlike the roadster we may also desire to have and enjoy but is too low to climb in and out of now that we can afford the insurance.

Let's just enjoy the films in the best quality and with the ease of access that we can and keep contributing to an innovative product.

At these storage capacities, why doesn't K do RAID? With 4 x 18TB drives, using a RAID level allowing for one drive failure, you would still have 54TB total. That's larger than their current highest capacity Terra.

This would save K a huge amount of download costs for 18TB of data!! Not to mention a failed drive would have absolutely zero impact to available movies to watch.

They should bring back the 3U chassis.... 14 x 18Tb drives less 2 for RAID and the hot spare would still give you 216Tb and room for 3,000+ 4K movies. MSRP: if you have to ask, you can't afford it.

Because, to keep the margins the same, it would still cost $23,995. people will pay for more storage but not RAID when there is already a way to recover lost content.

John

I have always wondered, why does K stay a niche company. Given the zero completion in this space, they will literally own the market with lower priced systems and could sell a lot more systems and enable corresponding store revenue.

Even this option, they choose to stay niche, not sure why.

Don’t forget if you don’t like or can’t manage the storage costs, you don’t need the storage to enjoy Kaleidescape (super yachts not included in that statement, but if you have a super yacht just buy the storage, it’s a rounding error for your budget). :)

Just buy as much storage as you feel you want and cycle/download. A Terra downloads a movie in 15 minutes and a Strato in 30 - 45. You can’t really fault a company for charging what they feel they need and want to for their products. It’s their business and business model choice. It’s easy to armchair run a company from the outside looking in (I do it all the time with what I want certain companies to do), but the realities of business on the inside might be quite different than our perceptions.

Don’t forget if you don’t like or can’t manage the storage costs, you don’t need the storage to enjoy Kaleidescape (super yachts not included in that statement, but if you have a super yacht just buy the storage, it’s a rounding error for your budget). :)

Just buy as much storage as you feel you want and cycle/download. A Terra downloads a movie in 15 minutes and a Strato in 30 - 45. You can’t really fault a company for charging what they feel they need and want to for their products. It’s their business and business model choice. It’s easy to armchair run a company from the outside looking in (I do it all the time with what I want certain companies to do), but the realities of business on the inside might be quite different than our perceptions.
Super Yachts or Private jets...

They should bring back the 3U chassis.... 14 x 18Tb drives less 2 for RAID and the hot spare would still give you 216Tb and room for 3,000+ 4K movies. MSRP: if you have to ask, you can't afford it.
The other question you shouldn't ask is "how is this thing already full?"
Just buy as much storage as you feel you want and cycle/download. A Terra downloads a movie in 15 minutes and a Strato in 30 - 45. You can’t really fault a company for charging what they feel they need and want to for their products.
It's the old do you pay $2 for a regular drink or $2.25 for a large drink? The restaurant is making a decent margin either way, so it becomes a question of consumption-model (are you dining-in [back when that existed] and could get refills on a smaller cup, or are you driving around?)... at least until someone like McD's just says $1 for any-size.
This line is interesting…I have no idea or guess what that could be(assuming it’s not just an 18TB Strato).
Maybe it also has an optical drive for cataloging UHDs, does 8K and 3D, and everything else we've ever asked in the feature requests board (except show TV seasons in a consolidated format.)
That's why I doubt you'll see those sized drives available separately, unless my math is off which is entirely possible, that's why I choose law as my third career, I was assured the only math we needed to understand was balancing a checking account and learning how to double-bill clients!😁

Jim
A lawyer that can balance a checkbook? Sounds like hearsay.

Back