• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

NEWS: New Terra 72TB Coming Soon

cinelife

Administrator
Staff member
Forum Administrator
⭐️⭐️PATRON⭐️⭐️
Authorized Kaleidescape Dealer
K will officially announce this, and likely other products, at some point around CEDIA timeframe (a couple weeks or sooner). They will have these available for sale at some point in September. I believe they are awaiting additional 18TB drives. MSRP should be $23,995, but please contact your dealer for additional details and pricing.

Jim

So, $26k (with tax) for a 72 TB Terra eh?

Hard to pull the trigger on spending that much?
Think of it in terms of cost per TB. (Prices below include tax rate of 1.0825)

24 TB Terra at $13,526. $564/TB
48 TB Terra at $19,480. $406/TB
72 TB Terra at $25,975. $361/TB

See. You're saving money if you buy the 72 TB !!! Plus, once the wife recovers from sticker shock and the argument has gone from yelling to mere head shaking, the convenience factor for her is fantastic!

Better yet, don't tell her the price of your new 72 TB Terra. Play it off by saying, "Oh, this is just a storage unit that'll allow us to add more movies!"

See. You're saving money if you buy the 72 TB !!! Plus, once the wife recovers from sticker shock and the argument has gone from yelling to mere head shaking, the convenience factor for her is fantastic!
Plus all the time saved from not needing to delete & re-download content or incur ISP bandwidth overage fees.

Wow, that’s big. 72TB would be enough to actually hold my K movie library at the moment, but that’s a lot just for storage purposes. I’m content to stick to pulling back to a stand alone S and download cycle what I watch while keeping a few evergreen favorites on it all the time.

Unless we see something really new and different come along this year or soon that isn’t just storage variants.

Unless we see something really "new and different" come along this year or soon that isn’t just storage variants.

Wouldn't count on seeing "that" anytime soon........

Jim

Wouldn't count on seeing "that" anytime soon........

Jim

Yeah, same. I’m just thinking out loud I guess that my next Kaleidescape upgrade would come with a new generation type of thing, which I would expect is a ways off versus being just storage-based.

Are Terra drives available separately? I’m sure the price would be painful, but it would be a nice option for 24TB Terra owners (6TB drives) to upgrade to 12TB or 18TB drives.

They sold a 12TB Terra (2x6TB) at one point, so presumably at least 6TB drives are available for that.

They only offer 6TB drives separately for the Terra Servers, but those are used mainly as replacement drives for those Servers that are OOW, although they may also be available to expand that Terra 12TB you mentioned, not sure, have not asked.

There are no 12TB's or 18TB's available. I doubt you'll see those sized drives available separately, the math wouldn't make sense. For example, a 24TB Terra is about $12K retail, and current drive costs are $895 each, so even if K made 18TB's available for $1,000, you'd be able to buy a 24TB Terra and convert it to a 72TB Terra for a total cost of $16K. The Terra 72 is priced at $24K. The same math would apply to 12TB drives.

That's why I doubt you'll see those sized drives available separately, unless my math is off which is entirely possible, that's why I choose law as my third career, I was assured the only math we needed to understand was balancing a checking account and learning how to double-bill clients!😁

Jim

Yep, that’s why I asked. Based on the Terra prices, they’d have to charge 3k to 4k for an 18TB drive.

The larger size Terras are technically cheaper per TB, but there’s a lot more margin for K.

I am looking to get a whole house generator for my house about 8000 square feet.
The best one I am looking at is the Genrac which runs on natural gas - and for my home you need a larger size.
The unit is 18K .... and Is as big as a VW Beetle...in volume,
And then there is a 72tB - 1U Terra for 24K
I just could resist but to put a post here.

They only offer 6TB drives separately for the Terra Servers, but those are used mainly as replacement drives for those Servers that are OOW, although they may also be available to expand that Terra 12TB you mentioned, not sure, have not asked.

There are no 12TB's or 18TB's available. I doubt you'll see those sized drives available separately, the math wouldn't make sense. For example, a 24TB Terra is about $12K retail, and current drive costs are $895 each, so even if K made 18TB's available for $1,000, you'd be able to buy a 24TB Terra and convert it to a 72TB Terra for a total cost of $16K. The Terra 72 is priced at $24K. The same math would apply to 12TB drives.

That's why I doubt you'll see those sized drives available separately, unless my math is off which is entirely possible, that's why I choose law as my third career, I was assured the only math we needed to understand was balancing a checking account and learning how to double-bill clients!😁

Jim
Yeah, I think your pricing for the hard disk drives (HDD) is way too low.

I will preface this by saying I haven't cracked open my KScape and so don't know what drives are being used, but based upon all my IT experience here is a rough ballpark idea of what I would expect pricing to be for those other sizes.

A Western Digital Gold Enterprise rated SAS 12 TB drive can be acquired for $430 with a whole bevy of features. I highly doubt KScape is using this class of HDD as that would be overkill for a consumer grade product. The 6 TB are roughly $230 and the 18 TB are about $650.
So $230 retail (enterprise cost depending on volume of course is ~ 20% cheaper) sold to us for $895 is just about a 290% markup.

If that math holds then 12 TB would sell for $1,677 and 18 TB would be $2,535 per drive.

Fourth career go IT then you can learn fun things like 10 = 2 ;)

I am looking to get a whole house generator for my house about 8000 square feet.
The best one I am looking at is the Genrac which runs on natural gas - and for my home you need a larger size.
The unit is 18K .... and Is as big as a VW Beetle...in volume,
And then there is a 72tB - 1U Terra for 24K
I just could resist but to put a post here.
Even more fun:
$46 K for 2.35 TB that takes up a roughly 3" x 6" space.

Ain't technology grand.

Speaking of which, I still need to pick out my whole home generator as well. Thanks for the reminder.

Yeah, I think your pricing for the hard disk drives (HDD) is way too low.

I will preface this by saying I haven't cracked open my KScape and so don't know what drives are being used, but based upon all my IT experience here is a rough ballpark idea of what I would expect pricing to be for those other sizes.

A Western Digital Gold Enterprise rated SAS 12 TB drive can be acquired for $430 with a whole bevy of features. I highly doubt KScape is using this class of HDD as that would be overkill for a consumer grade product. The 6 TB are roughly $230 and the 18 TB are about $650.
So $230 retail (enterprise cost depending on volume of course is ~ 20% cheaper) sold to us for $895 is just about a 290% markup.

If that math holds then 12 TB would sell for $1,677 and 18 TB would be $2,535 per drive.

Fourth career go IT then you can learn fun things like 10 = 2 ;)

We can certainly speculate about the costs, and I cannot argue with your numbers, like mine they're hypothetical. I used $1,000 as a cost just to do the math to indicate why I don't think we'd see those sized drives available as add-ons, your numbers are just as valid and further support that point.

We can do the drive cost mark up thing for the 1000th time, we seem to come to this whenever larger drives are introduced, and usually with those relatively new to K, but Kaleidescape is not a drive retailer, they're not an IT supply store either, they're a niche business with a lot of skilled personnel that don't work for minimum wage. Their pricing takes all of their operational costs into consideration, so yes, they're not cheap, never have been, and each individual decides for themselves whether they're willing to pay the price to own a K product. That's just the way it is, and it's unlikely any of this will change, so we either believe it's worth the cost of ownership, or we move on.

Jim

Yes, it's well known that K started as a niche company with a limited market composed of mainly wealthy owners, and a few (like me) that stretched their budgets to get into K. At one point, because of the number of players and Servers I acquired, I had about $85K in a system that stored about 350 movies, that's about $240 per movie! That said, the Kaleidescape system's function and user interface, and the fact that it was just about bulletproof were it's selling points, it was and remains the very best at what it does, and I have zero regrets regarding my initial purchases.

It was also a lot of fun.......

Jim

This line is interesting…I have no idea or guess what that could be(assuming it’s not just an 18TB Strato).

That's a good assumption......

Jim

Back