• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

New Premier Firmware

Status
Not open for further replies.

fritzcurtis

⭐️ Premium ⭐️
I noticed all of my servers updated to 6.3.0-16841.

Premier firmware hasn't been updated since March last year. Any news on what the update was?

I've got the latest as well, and no issues.

Jim

One of my collections seems to have 'lost it's content' but the films are still on the system so will try a reboot later to see if that resolves it. Not the first time something strange has happened following an update.

At least the music collection is still there and not losing artwork etc ;o)

Anytime someone experiences a problem after a software update you should contact Support to determine if the problem really is a software issue before posting a complaint in the forum. I'm not even aware of a software update that has ever caused a component to stop working, or a loss of component functions. The engineers at K are the very best at what they do, and they work very hard to insure that software updates solve problems and create new benefits. History has shown that when problems do occur, it is normally a networking or hardware issue, not a software issue. Not completely ruling the possibility that a software glitch could occur, it's just VERY unusual. Check with Support first, that's why they're there.

Jim

Anytime someone experiences a problem after a software update you should contact Support to determine if the problem really is a software issue before posting a complaint in the forum. I'm not even aware of a software update that has ever caused a component to stop working, or a loss of component functions. The engineers at K are the very best at what they do, and they work very hard to insure that software updates solve problems and create new benefits. History has shown that when problems do occur, it is normally a networking or hardware issue, not a software issue. Not completely ruling the possibility that a software glitch could occur, it's just VERY unusual. Check with Support first, that's why they're there.

Jim

In essence, since this board is run by a K dealer, you want no complaints unless they are vetted; it hurts the bottom line. We get that. This just further gives credence to the notions I have espoused before that any forum run by a K dealer, with a vested interest in public perception, is in fact K controlled. We can get online around the world and complain about anything and everything, regardless of whether its been verified as an issue by the "hard working" developers but not here. I got it now. Bother the "hard working" developers with every little nick-nack issue instead of talking amongst yourselves (on a forum) first to see if its simple user error because K never, ever makes any mistakes. From now on we'll only discuss all the things perfect that K does.

Thanks for the transparency and objectivity.

@Mark H. Jist, Don't bring a non-K verified issue to the board as a complaint; you'll be chided.

I agree! The whole reason for this update was so kscape could add support for their new intel atom bay trail refresh for the 1u's. It didnt include any fixes or feature enhancements for the rest of us. Did they post release notes? NO! They are about as transparent as a brickwall. Any thought of innovation gets you threatened by their founder. How about we have some real discussions without the fear of being shushed. The update serves no purpose other then to further their own sales opportunities. Maybe it's time updates were OPTIONAL? Or at least we are told what we are upgrading to?

I agree wholeheartedly with cmw. I would like the choice to upgrade or not based on the specifications of the update. I for one do not update my IOS device right away because of the bugs.

In essence, since this board is run by a K dealer, you want no complaints unless they are vetted; it hurts the bottom line. We get that. This just further gives credence to the notions I have espoused before that any forum run by a K dealer, with a vested interest in public perception, is in fact K controlled. We can get online around the world and complain about anything and everything, regardless of whether its been verified as an issue by the "hard working" developers but not here. I got it now. Bother the "hard working" developers with every little nick-nack issue instead of talking amongst yourselves (on a forum) first to see if its simple user error because K never, ever makes any mistakes. From now on we'll only discuss all the things perfect that K does.

Thanks for the transparency and objectivity.

@Mark H. Jist, Don't bring a non-K verified issue to the board as a complaint; you'll be chided.

Not at all, only asked that if someone thinks that an update has negatively affected their system, they contact K Support for help and/or verification that the update has actually caused the problem. Why did I ask? Because I received several contacts asking if it were possible to "back up" to an earlier firmware, and this was based on a post here that STATED, not questioned, that the latest firmware buggy. In the discussions it was clear these owners were not even experiencing a problem in their systems, but "didn't want to have any problems."

Software is almost never perfect, given the millions of lines of code involved in the KEAOS it is entirely possible that a software update could bring both improvements and problems at the same time. Is it not fair to ask that if someone thinks software has caused a problem they first reach out to K Support to verify that before posting it as a fact?? No one complaining here, including the person that started this discussion, contacted Support for help in determining if it was software of something else in their system. It could be software, but how will we know if the person with the problem doesn't report it to the entity responsible for its release? That was all I was asking owners to do before posting as if there is IN FACT a software issue, and causing unnecessary concerns among other owners.

BTW, you can find negative comments regarding K, it's products, and even software, throughout this Forum, I suggest you do a search before making broad statements about what members can or cannot post. Any negative comment based on fact is never touched, any negative opinion that I disagree with will certainly be countered (usually because I have additional information, but not always). I have always been clear about my bias in favor of K, its products, and employees. Anyone reading this forum can see that, and from time to time I remind readers about the bias and caution them to consider that in evaluating the value of my comments.

Jim

.........Maybe it's time updates were OPTIONAL? Or at least we are told what we are upgrading to?

Reasonable request. I don't pretend to know how the software affects the two separate systems (Premiere and Encore), don't have a clue. I know we need movie guide updates from time to time, but maybe that can't be separated from a general update. Hopefully Mike's can clarify.

Jim

Not at all, only asked that if someone thinks that an update has negatively affected their system, they contact K Support for help and/or verification that the update has actually caused the problem. Why did I ask? Because I received several contacts asking if it were possible to "back up" to an earlier firmware, and this was based on a post here that STATED, not questioned, that the latest firmware buggy. In the discussions it was clear these owners were not even experiencing a problem in their systems, but "didn't want to have any problems."

Software is almost never perfect, given the millions of lines of code involved in the KEAOS it is entirely possible that a software update could bring both improvements and problems at the same time. Is it not fair to ask that if someone thinks software has caused a problem they first reach out to K Support to verify that before posting it as a fact?? No one complaining here, including the person that started this discussion, contacted Support for help in determining if it was software of something else in their system. It could be software, but how will we know if the person with the problem doesn't report it to the entity responsible for its release? That was all I was asking owners to do before posting as if there is IN FACT a software issue, and causing unnecessary concerns among other owners.

BTW, you can find negative comments regarding K, it's products, and even software, throughout this Forum, I suggest you do a search before making broad statements about what members can or cannot post. Any negative comment based on fact is never touched, any negative opinion that I disagree with will certainly be countered (usually because I have additional information, but not always). I have always been clear about my bias in favor of K, its products, and employees. Anyone reading this forum can see that, and from time to time I remind readers about the bias and caution them to consider that in evaluating the value of my comments.

Jim

Thanks for that Jim but I for one am complaining that there isn't enough transparency on these upgrades. Even Apple provides release notes!!! Given their recent brush with death I would hope they would be a little more open, especially to the community that keeps them alive.

Also on the backup statement. It's pretty common knowledge that kscape has a built in backup feature that on upgrade keeps a copy of the previous version of KEAOS in an alternative boot block and the file system retains a copy of the backed up system files for the older version. This can be easily switched back to in the event that there is an issue with the latest firmware.

Movie guide updates are done periodically and don't require firmware upgrades

Allowing people to choose not to upgrade can create potential API support issues if they update/change the API of any of their web services. So for efficiency sake it's better for them if they keep everyone on the same version. That being said they can make the upgrade optional and just state that they won't support older versions.

I would definitely like to hear from Mike as to why they have not posted any release notes for recent updates.

Cant we all just be friends :)

I have to agree that release notes are a must. Its a general best practice with software/hardware companies. Being in the tech industry I have only seen no release notes when its a startup company and they are getting established. This company should be mature enough to have those notes and a easy way to view them.

I would be surprised if they don't have them internally. If not the programers should be fired. A good team always documents.

I would suggest the following....

1 - Dont make upgrades optional. This creates multi issues later down the line with compatibility. Also helps with fixing issues if you have one software build you have to deal with in QA and Testing.

2 - After the update put up a screen on the system (like when you have imported a DVD/BLUERAY) that says that the system was updated and what the general release notes are. Could be as simple as go here to see the release notes.

3 - Use your freaking Support Knowledge Base website. Last update was 4/5/2016. Post the release notes in a new article.
http://www.kaleidescape.com/support/knowledgebase.php

Just to be clear, I have no problem with Andre, but I also want to be fair to K. I think they should always be given the opportunity to respond to a problem encountered by an owner before unproven conclusions are reached by that owner and subsequently posted in a public forum. I think that's reasonable.

I'll spend sometime evaluating my position here. I certainly don't want to be the cause of members not trusting in the information being provided, or hesitate to post because of me, that would be wrong. While I still believe in what I posted above, I do apologize to anyone offended, and in particular to Mark H.. Best to you all!:)

Jim

Last edited:
All other rhetoric aside, here is my point:

Definition of forum

fo·rum

/ˈfôrəm/

noun

noun: forum; plural noun: forums; plural noun: fora

1. a place, meeting, or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged.

I'm not trying to bash Jim or anyone else for that matter. I am merely pointing out that you can't have it both ways. Either you have a forum where you allow the people that join to discuss, vent, rant, "complain", etc. on a particular issue (respectfully of course) or its like the White House briefings, where if you don't agree you are excluded or chastised. Negative comments based on "feelings", personal facts or verifiable facts are not in Jim's control and he shouldn't be trying to control them. We are grown folk who made a huge investment in K and, if given the forum (pun intended) should be able to voice what we see on our end. I understand Jim wants people to try to go to K first with their issues, but so does Microsoft and Apple and HP and IBM and a host of other companies that would prefer people not publically complain but instead "be a part of the solution". But, as we've learned from real fortune 500 companies, you can't force people to do anything; so why try.

And listen folks, I don't give my opinion because I need anyone's agreement. I'm my own man and stand by my own comments; validation or agreement is not required.

Jim, I respect your bias. However, I don't have that bias. K has to take the accolades along with the lumps and complaints like any other company. Some may be mere perception while others may be factual. Its not controllable by K nor anyone on this forum; its all in a customers mind. Don't stifle the sharing of that introspection due to any bias.

I don't think I "stifle the sharing" by asking people to bring their problem to support to determine where the problem originated. Unlike the large corporations you mentioned, that almost always need the masses to complain before a problem is addressed, K does respond to problems as quickly as they can, but they first have to know what the owner is experiencing. That was my only point. I have an interest, whether you like or not, to insure that information about components is based on facts, not speculation, or "fake news" (sorry, had to throw that in after your White House comment). (and yes, I'm kidding, so lets not bring politics into the forum as was in your WH comment, there's enough craziness going around on both sides).

Let's get back to normal forum posts, no one wants to read these types of posts.

Jim

"The Kscapeowners forum is not transparent enough" is quite possibly the most 'first-world-problem' problem I have ever heard of!

��

I really don't think Jim needs to apologize to anyone - period. I for one very much appreciate the info he is willing and able to share with us all. If anyone doesn't appreciate it (just like on any other forum) they simply don't have to read it. Accusing him of "filtering or stifling" information is just plain wrong - laughable really. He has a right to his opinion just the same as anyone else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back