• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

New Kaleidescape Remote

Intermission pauses the movie, displays the movie's cover art, and emits a special "intermission" event that control systems can use to trigger a lighting scene. Useful for, say, taking a break and going to get snacks with enough light on for people to find their way.

Would it also force-update the current playback position with the controlling server? There's been a few times where I've hit stop or had things blink-out, and on resume it starts from a point way before where I was at (sometimes not even the same disc.)

Hmmmm. I don’t think Intermission behaves differently from Pause w.r.t. updating the pause bookmark. Stop should for sure update the position to where you stopped, though. If it doesn’t, that’s a bug.

There's a dedicated intermission button in the app, assuming you're referring to the Kaleidescape mobile app.
View attachment 3910
Thanks Mike,

I'm aware of that button, though I usually use the Second Screen app on my iPad / MacBook.
The thing that annoys me is that on that app, the first tab allows me to display the "movie card", but then the extended controls slide away after a few seconds. The second tab has a dedicated intermission button, but that design doesn't look as nice as the first tab, as it doesn't have the movie poster + name in there.

Thanks Mike,

I'm aware of that button, though I usually use the Second Screen app on my iPad / MacBook.
The thing that annoys me is that on that app, the first tab allows me to display the "movie card", but then the extended controls slide away after a few seconds. The second tab has a dedicated intermission button, but that design doesn't look as nice as the first tab, as it doesn't have the movie poster + name in there.
Hmmmm. I don't know what you mean about the extended controls sliding away? Are you referring to the controls at the bottom of the screen here? They should stay until you dismiss them.

IMG_1059.PNG

Hmmmm. I don't know what you mean about the extended controls sliding away? Are you referring to the controls at the bottom of the screen here? They should stay until you dismiss them.

View attachment 3924
yes, they automatically disappear. It might be when the iPad goes to sleep, and when you wake it up, the app closes that panel.

Ahhhh. Yeah, if the iPad goes to sleep and the connection to the server has to be re-established, I think that panel will close.

Mike, I have never seen the screen on my ipad with the controls as shown above. What I have is the one with the intermission/pause screen. How do I get the other?

That’s our Second Screen app. It’s an older app, and is iPad-only.

I have to agree... I can't believe in 2023 there would be a new remote control that ONLY communicated via IR. I've long since abandoned IR control... way back like 20 years ago when Plasma TVs were introduced that obliterated infrared signals anywhere near TVs. I redid everything to be RF and IP only.

The AppleTV remote did it right, at least in terms of communicating from remote to its box and from the box to other source components. While it has IR emitters it can use if you absolutely MUST control an amp or TV that antiquated way, it does everything it can during setup to first try to control your devices with TCP/IP, HDMI-CEC, and certainly with RF for reliability of transmitting its own commands to the AppleTV box itself.

And, even with Apple's minimalist design philosophy, they knew they had to put volume up & down (and mute) buttons on the remote if they wanted it to be useful as your "only" remote.
Gotta agree here. So much of the kscape ecosystem seems to be antiquated. The UI features are in Dire need of an update too. How is it that products much cheaper then Kscape have better UI features and better remotes My Madvr Envy even works in RF and that remote is like the same size, lol.. smh bad form kscape.. bad form indeed.

@MikeKobb Are there plans to update the IR hex code document?

This one:

This was last updated in 2015 and doesn’t include the new buttons (e.g. search, CC).

Also, how does the UI know to display an onscreen keyboard/numpad? Or, is it supposed to always display it now?

Here’s what I’m running into. While watching a movie, press menu on the new remote (info on old remote), then go over to the navigation tab and select jump to chapter. At that point, it’s waiting for a number input, but that’s not possible on the new remote.

Hmm. I will have to check on the status of that document. Thanks for the question.

The UI should display a keypad whenever there are digits to be entered (but will still accept digits from the remote if your remote has them).

Unfortunately, the issue with the chapter entry is a bug that needs to be fixed in a future kOS release. I don't know when that will be. In the meantime, the workaround is to chapter skip. I know that's not a great experience especially if it's a high chapter number. If this is something that you're wanting to skip to often, then you can bookmark a scene for it.

Back