• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Cool!! Kaleidescape's "Second Screen" app on a Mac!

josh

Administrator
Staff member
Forum Administrator
⭐️⭐️PATRON⭐️⭐️
Maybe this was obvious to everyone, but wasn't to me... I just successfully installed the "Second Screen" iPad app on a Mac, and it works. You must have one of the new Apple-silicon macs (M1, M1 Pro, M1 Max processors).

Many, but not all, iPad & iOS apps can be installed on Apple-silicon macs, if they were written properly. Can confirm I'm happily using Second Screen on my new 14" 2021 Macbook Pro with M1 Max processor. The window isn't resizable, since it wasn't designed for a windowing environment, but there are two orientations you can get to by just dragging the window resizer as you normally would... corresponding to an iPad in vertical orientation and another for horizontal orientation. It will just jump to one orientation or the other as you drag the window.

Scrolling around cover-view with a finger on a magic mouse is super cool.

And, as we know from another thread (thanks @JohnJ) "Second Screen" app is the only way you can get cover-view UI to be limited to just one of your collections. .. so now that's doable on a Mac too.

Screen Shot 2022-01-12 at 4.20.11 PM.png

To install this on a Mac rather than an ipad, go here on a Mac: ‎Kaleidescape Second Screen.
If you have an M1-powered Mac, you'll be asked if you want to install this via the Mac app store.
(Yours will say "Install" rather than "Open" in the blue button).

Screen Shot 2022-01-12 at 4.27.00 PM.png

--josh

Last edited:
Yep, both Kaleidescape apps are available in the Mac App Store as iPad apps on Apple Silicon. They work awesome. I recommended K releasing this when I got my first M1 Mac to test with a while back.

I really wish more companies would drop their iPad apps in the Mac App Store.

Discovered this as well and find it amazing!

Curious why the Kaleidescape Movie Store app can be be maximized to full screen on Mac but the Second Screen app can only run in portrait/landscape 'windowed' mode? Would be great to maximize cover view to the full 4k resolution of my monitor.

If I recall correctly, you don't get any extra columns or rows on the OSD when running in 4k, so there likely aren't more pixels to be had.

Curious why the Kaleidescape Movie Store app can be be maximized to full screen on Mac but the Second Screen app can only run in portrait/landscape 'windowed' mode? Would be great to maximize cover view to the full 4k resolution of my monitor.
The Mobile App is written to Apple's modern standards for screen layout, and adapts to everything from the iPhone SE to iPads and beyond.

Second Screen was written over a decade ago, before Apple even had that layout engine. So, it does not have the ability to adapt itself to the different aspect ratios and sizes that would be required for use at arbitrary window sizes.

Back