• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

New entry level Kaleidescape component?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't discuss new products until K officially releases info for CEDIA, but I wouldn't create that expectation at this point.

Jim

128TB USB stick that plays and downloads via blu ray player? Ha! ???
I saw somewhere else that Shane Lee just leaked that a more entry level machine will be shown at CEDIA. Any info anyone?

To clarify: Someone else posted this at another forum. Apparently its on Shane Lee's patron Youtube channel. I do not subscribe to his patron channel so I have not actually seen what Shane has said.

I guess we'll see soon enough..... :)

Jim

My Post on AVS

A low priced player with hard drive will be good.
The K System allows movies to be downloaded on 5 systems (5 locations), I might get it for my 24 year old daughter in her apartment, she will have access to my gazillion K Movies.
I just hope download time is fast as that is the key.

My Post on AVS

A low priced player with hard drive will be good.......

I'm sure there are many that agree. Perhaps we'll see one at some future point, but doubt it will be CEDIA.

Jim

128TB USB stick that plays and downloads via blu ray player? Ha! ???

To clarify: Someone else posted this at another forum. Apparently its on Shane Lee's patron Youtube channel. I do not subscribe to his patron channel so I have not actually seen what Shane has said.
Add this to list of things Shane Lee doesn’t have a clue about …..

We likely won’t see a lower cost system until K starts making money on movie downloads. They currently can’t sell hardware at a loss like all the other platforms due to this fact. From what I was told movies are currently a wash and sometimes sold at a loss, depending on how many times the title is downloaded.

Who knows though, perhaps in the year since I was told this they have negotiated better contracts with the studios.

Not sure who from K provided the info that the Store was a wash, even last year, because I can assure readers that is NOT the case. Obviously, in the very beginning when the Store was building a user base there were periods of low profitability, and one could argue somewhat of a "wash" on content sales, but that's true of any new venture, and those days are in past. It is correct that margins are better on equipment, always have been, but the Store is profitable, it has been for some time, and it continues to grow in a positive direction.

Just wanted to update the conversation.:)

Jim

Not sure who from K provided the info that the Store was a wash, even last year, because I can assure readers that is NOT the case. Obviously, in the very beginning when the Store was building a user base there were periods of low profitability, and one could argue somewhat of a "wash" on content sales, but that's true of any new venture, and those days are in past. It is correct that margins are better on equipment, always have been, but the Store is profitable, it has been for some time, and it continues to grow in a positive direction.

Just wanted to update the conversation.:)

Jim
That’s great to hear! Also just goes to show any and all “unofficial” commentary should be taken with a grain of salt, even from K employees themselves.

Most of us on the forum would love lower cost hardware, but I’m not sure that’s the right move for K. If they were to introduce “value oriented” products, I’m not sure dealers would be quick to sell these to consumers. Many (most?) K systems are a small part of a larger home AV/control system budget.

If they eventually release less expensive hardware, it will most certainly be:

1. Limited storage (a cost based restriction)
2. Upgradeable by adding Terra servers.

#2 will be needed, because we all know what happens once you start adding movies.🤣

Jim

I hope they’re thinking, looking and negotiating for the future to become the path forward for a post-disc landscape. That would require a budget playback system, expandable.

It would also hopefully lock in their access to lossless audio and the full mezzanine video file. I worry the studios may try and eliminate those if/when discs go away.

Now is the time for Kaleidescape Power Moves with the industry to cement their place in the market.

It's been a great year for K to date, and I hope to see that it continues through the remainder and into next spring with new item(s) of interest out of CEDIA (c'mon software features!). I know various rumors too but won't comment. Particularly here, I think all of us can reasonably surmise certain hardware moves/features/offerings that K could make to improve and broaden the platform that we all be excited about.

At this moment in the year, I would generally recommend (as I have mentioned quite a bit in my videos) that August is a "bad" month to buy home theater gear. CEDIA is a big show for this industry and hobby and it is a focus point for new product announcements. You probably shouldn't buy an iPhone in August either, although that one is a bit more deterministic. :)

I hope they’re thinking, looking and negotiating for the future to become the path forward for a post-disc landscape. That would require a budget playback system, expandable.

It would also hopefully lock in their access to lossless audio and the full mezzanine video file. I worry the studios may try and eliminate those if/when discs go away.

Now is the time for Kaleidescape Power Moves with the industry to cement their place in the market.
It feels like a number of market forces are building up at the moment, and K can strategize and execute with them to be poised for an acceleration in their business. Exciting times!

New K components announced ahead of CEDIA!

NEW! Terra Prime & Terra Prime Solid-State Movie Servers​

TERRA PRIME​

MOVIE SERVER 88/48/22/8TB​

Our next-generation movie server, Terra Prime features an all-new board design, faster processing power, and a faster network.

TERRA PRIME SOLID-STATE​

MOVIE SERVER 31/8TB​

Terra Prime Solid-State is the fastest and quietest movie server available, the ideal choice for marine and state-of-the-art installations.

I closing this thread because of the larger discussion on the subject of new Prime servers in this thread:

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back