It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.
You can dismiss this box forever by clicking the "X" in the upper right corner of this message.
... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.
This box goes away for registered users.
That’s right, I remember there were movies that were in that in between period where it was to expensive to film in 4K.Oblivion 4K was a fairly basic upscale. While they avoided digitally overly sharpening the image, they may have overcorrected and many consider the HD version to have more detail. This is usually offset by benefits of HDR color-grading and the Atmos soundtrack found on the 4K UHD Blu-ray. However, digitally the audio is limited to 5.1 for the 4K version whereas the HD version has 7.1. So, on K with an SDR image the HD version is likely the version of choice. With an HDR display many still favor that version but obviously the disc wins on this title.
Unfortunately, this is the nature of K and their limited resources. Sometimes they don't get movies (inevitable), sometimes they get them in lower quality (I wish they never would), and sometimes they get them in the best quality but then don't update them (again, avoidable).I have been buying up A24 films and I am surprised how many are only in HD on Kaleidescape. Granted, some of them may not have been released in 4k but there's at least 80 or so movies all in HD from that studio. That being said, I am thankful they carry them. I hope they add Mubi titles at some point.
Isn't the Midsommar director's cut a disc-only option? iTunes doesn't have it either.Unfortunately, this is the nature of K and their limited resources. Sometimes they don't get movies (inevitable), sometimes they get them in lower quality (I wish they never would), and sometimes they get them in the best quality but then don't update them (again, avoidable).
In regards to A24, they're actually in pretty good shape compared to most studios. I consider these two the biggest losses:
Under the Skin is missing HDR/Dolby Vision (a real shame as it's HD on disc so K could offer the definitive edition)
Midsommar Director's Cut is missing.
In addition, these films are available digitally in 4K DV but only in HD on K:
Amy
The Children Act
Funny Pages
First Cow
God's Creatures
Lean on Pete
Obvious Child
If you'd like to see any of the above updates, send a request to: movies@kaleidescape.com
Ask for Under the Skin to get a Dolby Vision update and then whatever else you want.![]()
Apple has it as an Extra on the main title. However, I just looked to confirm this and it says "Exclusive to Apple TV." I don't recall it saying this before, but if this is the case then K can't do anything about it. Thanks for the catch. A24 does like to do disc-only stuff though, like The Lighthouse 4K.Isn't the Midsommar director's cut a disc-only option? iTunes doesn't have it either.
instant addition to my C’matic collection.I just noticed that "Moonfall" got the Cinematic upgrade.
![]()
Moonfall
When the moon is set on a collision course with Earth, a NASA scientist gathers a small team to fight to save the planet. Disaster, Action, Sci-Fi. Purchase and download today in 4K Cinematic Dolby Vision with Dolby Atmos audio.www.kaleidescape.com
My app suddenly won’t open, keeps crashing. iOS27. Deleted and re added. Super annoyed.
Mine was doing the same thing. Looks like it’s working normally nowMy app suddenly won’t open, keeps crashing. iOS27. Deleted and re added. Super annoyed.