• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Movie Guide Update - What is it exactly?

SimonSays

We've all seen this when monitoring our downloads, but what is the "movie guide" exactly, and why does it trigger with some movies, and not others? And why is the "whole" movie guide not downloaded all at once? Or why is it not included in the movie download as such? Or why can't the system download a movie guide corresponding to every movie you own (Purchase or rent a new movie, and the updates are downloaded immediately in the background to all of your systems, even if you don't download the movie itself right away),...

Screenshot 2023-11-13 at 11.24.13.png

Can someone at K (@MikeKobb perhaps) explain what it actually is, why some movies trigger the update, and so on?
Might be good to Sticky this for all other members too :)

The Movie Guide is a large database that contains the metadata for all movies/TV shows, but none of the cover art (that is downloaded individually). It typically downloads to your system once a day if I recall correctly.

The reason you see the message above is because there was an update to the info for the title you're waiting to download and the MG must be updated before the movie is.

Andy

I think it's usually implied as an as-needed thing, or at least not as often as daily.

Even then, there are frequently little pieces that may need to be grabbed each time.

@andy is correct in all but the frequency. Movie guide updates are typically released once a week.

In addition to the metadata information about the movies (synopsis, cast, directors, running time, etc.) the movie guide contains the play item bookmarks (the "Play Movie", extras, scenes, and songs start and stop bookmarks).

You will encounter the delay in downloading due to a movie guide update most frequently when downloading new additions to the store as it is more likely that your system's local movie guide was last updated before the title was added to the store.

For example, if your system's last movie guide update was on Friday and then you purchase and queue a movie that was just added to the store the following Tuesday, it is highly likely that you don't have the guide data for that movie. The download gets blocked so that your system can update to the latest version of the guide.

If we were to allow the download to proceed without the updated guide, you'd end up with a movie that had no cover art, no metadata information and, most importantly, no play bookmarks which would prevent you from being able to actually watch the movie.

Minor point re the Movie Guide that doesn't seem worth it's own thread.

For months now whenever I click on 'special pricing' in the Collections tab the latest Transformer movie is always in the list - typically at the bottom but listed as $24.99.

I don't think this is an offer and have to assume it's an error in the Movie Guide if it contains that data there or wherever pricing and sale flags are held. assume that it's the same for every one else.

Minor point re the Movie Guide that doesn't seem worth it's own thread.

For months now whenever I click on 'special pricing' in the Collections tab the latest Transformer movie is always in the list - typically at the bottom but listed as $24.99.

I don't think this is an offer and have to assume it's an error in the Movie Guide if it contains that data there or wherever pricing and sale flags are held. assume that it's the same for every one else.
It's possibly an error in the store data but completely unrelated to the movie guide. But thank you for pointing it out. Our content team has been notified and will look into it.

@andy is correct in all but the frequency. Movie guide updates are typically released once a week.

In addition to the metadata information about the movies (synopsis, cast, directors, running time, etc.) the movie guide contains the play item bookmarks (the "Play Movie", extras, scenes, and songs start and stop bookmarks).

You will encounter the delay in downloading due to a movie guide update most frequently when downloading new additions to the store as it is more likely that your system's local movie guide was last updated before the title was added to the store.

For example, if your system's last movie guide update was on Friday and then you purchase and queue a movie that was just added to the store the following Tuesday, it is highly likely that you don't have the guide data for that movie. The download gets blocked so that your system can update to the latest version of the guide.

If we were to allow the download to proceed without the updated guide, you'd end up with a movie that had no cover art, no metadata information and, most importantly, no play bookmarks which would prevent you from being able to actually watch the movie.
Thanks,

Is the movie guide stored on all devices in the system? For example, I'm deleted a bunch of movies from my Terra, and am redownloading them on my (new-to-me) Strato S. Of course to do that, I have to shut down the Terra. And about 1 in 3 movies requires a Movie Guide update...

Back