• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Lost Sound to my K Equipment

Noah Winter

Need some help here. I have a Premier system with a 3U Server and a m700 Disc Vault. The K system is connected to my receiver through an HDMI cable.

We wanted to watch a Disney film tonight and we had video but no sound. The movie was Inside Out. I then tried The Incredibles, my go to movie, and it did not have any sound. The Incredibles has played fine in the past.

My DirecTV played fine through my theater. I then tried an imported DVD from the K system and it played fine. I then played Avatar which could play audio when I chose Dolby from its drop down audio menu, but when I moved it back to DTS 5.1 or 7.1 no audio.

John Wick 2 uses Dolby and plays fine, the other movies appear to use DTS 5.1 and provide no sound.

I reset both K components and even pulled the plug on both K components with no effect. I restarted the Integra Receiver several times again with no impact. I have the audio set to go bit stream to the receiver but I changed these options several times from bit stream to having the K device process the audio and again no effect.

I have run out of options I can think of. Since I do not have a BD player connected in my theater, I do not have a way to test the receiver to see if the problem is there or in my K, nor do I have my K system set up for any other room. Any suggestions would be helpful.
Thank you.

You indicate you have no way to test the receiver, but without that test it's difficult to determine the source of the problem (sorry, stating the obvious here). All you would need is a BR/DVD player and a physical disc with DTS soundtrack. I assume you've tried the various "Advanced" audio settings for the player with no success (I see you played with the bitstream/player decode settings), as well as confirming your receiver audio settings have not changed (assuming they can be changed). If none of that has any affect, and you cannot test the receiver directly, you should contact K Support to ask their advice, perhaps they can see something in the logs.

Jim

From your post, it sounds like the only thing you are having problems with is DTS-HD MA 5.1 (and possibly 7.1).

As Jim said above, the first thing I would have tried was switching to "player decode" and see what happens. I would have expected this to work and then tried changing the auto-detect on DTS-HD MA to "Receiver Supports" thinking it is an HDMI handshake issue. However, the "player decode" option should have also worked in this case. But change the auto-detect and see if it helps.

And, of course, my number one thing to try when having issues: Swap to a different HDMI cable.

It does sound like there is something else going on here. It sure would be nice to have another source that outputs DTS-HD MA sound to isolate whether it is the receiver or M700.

John

You might laugh at this one but try power cycling your display/ projector. These things all talk to each other up and down the chain and any one can cause a hiccup. I would also try different cables- again, seems kind of silly since one kind of signal works, but these things can be finicky.

Ok, well I know a little bit more. First I looked to see if there were any cords that some how got lose but the only cord connecting the M700 to the Integra, which is an 80.3 (thanks Graytek) but the only connection to the receiver is from the HDMI cord.

I did try to turn the projector off and on several times, and no I don't think that is silly (thanks JerryL) as I have seen that work before, but no effect this time around. I then found my son's Sony game system/BD player, connected it with the same type of HDMI cable and played Avatar. The DTS 5.1 played fine. I then switched to another source and played " A Hologram for the King" which appears to only offer DTS and it worked great. It even played the DTS logo at the beginning of the movie to make its point. I have tried every configuration of the K audio settings including the Advanced and even having the M700 process the DTS did not work. Dolby works fine. So I guess I will need to report this to my installer and have them make a service call, and bring a higher quality cable. Thanks everyone for all the suggestions, it appears to be either in the M700 or the cord I guess. I will report back when I find the answer, hopefully the cord suddenly stopped working.

Integra 80.3 - I would bet money it is a bad HDMI board or DSP chip. Integra had a very poor couple years around that model - pretty much every unit failed....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Integra 80.3 - I would bet money it is a bad HDMI board or DSP chip. Integra had a very poor couple years around that model - pretty much every unit failed....

I can vouch for that theory...I had an 80.3. Same issue...cause was failed HDMI board.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks Fellows, I will pass the failed HDMI board theory on to my installers. I will post when we have an answer.

Sorry to hear about this. I can tell you I also had several Integra (I forget the model) but every single one the HDMI board would eventually fail- usually would be about 2 years). I hate to say it but it sounds like yours is in the process of going.

Yes, mine is 2 or 3 old also. Is this something that can be fixed or did you just replace the Receiver?

They should repair it for you under warranty regardless of the age.

Might be a good opportunity to get a new receiver with the newest features (Atmos, 4K HDR support etc.). We moved from Integra to Anthem and Yamaha (RXA models). It was a great decision. Integra swears that their newest models are solid now but.....I'm sure they are better but they had so many failures and Yamaha and Anthem are so solid and the performance has been outstanding.

that is good advice graytek and what I am thinking. I checked at the Integra is now over 6 years old. Both the Yamaha and the Anthem seem like good choices and eventually the Integra would have to be replaced anyway in order to move to 4K and Atmos.
Thanks so much.

Oh, I tried switching the M700 to a jack that was accepting DTS with the Avatar movie and it played Dolby at first, but when I changed to DTS on the movie Audio Menu nothing, then I lost the Dolby when I switched back so it is more and more looking like the Integra.

that is good advice graytek and what I am thinking. I checked at the Integra is now over 6 years old. Both the Yamaha and the Anthem seem like good choices and eventually the Integra would have to be replaced anyway in order to move to 4K and Atmos.

Thanks so much.

Oh, I tried switching the M700 to a jack that was accepting DTS with the Avatar movie and it played Dolby at first, but when I changed to DTS on the movie Audio Menu nothing, then I lost the Dolby when I switched back so it is more and more looking like the Integra.

Even if you do get a new receiver - consider still getting the Integra fixed as they will still repair it under warranty. Can't hurt to have another receiver for a less important room etc.

So, to close the loop here. We had our AV professionals out this week. Of course it magically worked fine when they arrived. They discovered a few errors with the device including not having its firmware updated for 5 years. Since it was working at the time and now had the most updated firmware, we decided to see if the issue was resolved with the update.

Well, Friday night came and no sound again from any movie with DTS. That seems to be about all of them. After a lot of searching my library I did find "Tears of the Sun" which was pretty good. Got to love Bruce Willis.

So it looks like we will upgrade to an Anthem Preamp, and while we are at it we can explore if now is the time to move up to Dolby Atmos. So maybe this all leads to a happy ending after all. Thanks for everyone's assistance, you were spot on that it was the Integra.

Back