• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Looking for feedback of the best HT remote control…

Trek737

C4, Crestron, Savant, RTI are the top four on my radar. I have been told you can’t get the Crestron as it is back order for over a year. I was quoted a price on C4 that I though was over the top…
What is everyone using and how well does it work?

Cheers,

Jim

Regardless of what you choose, make sure to find a knowledgable programmer who has experience integrating with Kaleidescape components and will treat you fairly.

I have a Savant remote that I liked when I first got it, but it has since started falling apart (after probably 2 years). The real issue was that the dealer had never done K and assured me they could "make it work". Unfortunately, I took their word and despite it controlling all my devices, the quality of the job leaves a lot to be desired. For example, they couldn't figure out how to send the proper masking signal when switching to my K system (I have to do it manually), and many of the buttons are out of order and they told me that could not be adjusted (which I strongly suspect is BS). Truth be told, if I had access to the software I'd tackle it myself... I know I could do a better job. The issue there is that with Savant (and likely all the others you list), only dealers have access to the software which means you are dependent on how good a job they do.

Had I to do it all over again (and sadly that may be the case), I'd make sure to ask more questions. Figure out exactly how you want to control your system and make sure they already know how to do it.

Good luck,
Andy

While not a full control automation system like the aforementioned, I’m waiting for this remote to be available before I make any decisions. Seems to be a very high-quality open-source design to fill the space left by Harmony and NEEO.

Regardless of what you choose, make sure to find a knowledgable programmer who has experience integrating with Kaleidescape components and will treat you fairly.

I have a Savant remote that I liked when I first got it, but it has since started falling apart (after probably 2 years). The real issue was that the dealer had never done K and assured me they could "make it work". Unfortunately, I took their word and despite it controlling all my devices, the quality of the job leaves a lot to be desired. For example, they couldn't figure out how to send the proper masking signal when switching to my K system (I have to do it manually), and many of the buttons are out of order and they told me that could not be adjusted (which I strongly suspect is BS). Truth be told, if I had access to the software I'd tackle it myself... I know I could do a better job. The issue there is that with Savant (and likely all the others you list), only dealers have access to the software which means you are dependent on how good a job they do.

Had I to do it all over again (and sadly that may be the case), I'd make sure to ask more questions. Figure out exactly how you want to control your system and make sure they already know how to do it.

Good luck,
Andy
%100 this. They are all closed systems sold through dealers only. Your mileage will vary depending on your dealer/programmer. You also want to make sure the dealer you choose will be around for many years. You will need your dealer’s “paid” support every time you make any changes to your system.

I believe C4 has the largest 3rd party hardware and driver support. You can have the “limited” home version of the programming software for your own minor tweaks too. I think it is priced comparable to all but cheaper than Crestron. Crestron is probably the most sophisticated and most customizable.

During my recent Projector Upgrade I had a huge issue with cooling and projector shut downs for sticking a High Lumen Laser projector in a small Hush Box.
I have a Circa 2008 Crestron System with the processor upgraded to Crestron CP3 about 5 years ago.
I was very fortunate to find a fantastic Crestron Programmer and with his help and buying legacy modules from E Bay for Cheap - I now have a Crestron Program I could not dream about a few years ago.
The System can be turned on using Crestorn Go App on my iPhone before I go to the theater and gives be full feedback while the system is turning on. The temperature control in the Hush box using a Crestron Thermostat has programming logic that it looks at the Projector Intake temperature and makes decision on cooling with no human intervention.
Crestron, especially the CP3 CP4 Version is truly Industrial remote program which can run stadiums and commercial installs but is surely not overkill in my 8 seat theater.
The programming and the programmer is where its at as if you have the right programmer it is solid as a rock and these days with OpenVPN and remote access my programmer can access my CP 3 and fix things for me (which really no fixing is needed) or add components without any interference of a site visit and fast.

Did you check over the thread from last year?
I did… Thanks. I was hoping that some one would have experience with the new Halo remote by Control 4 which was not out last year.

Good luck,
Andy
Thank you… Good advice!

During my recent Projector Upgrade I had a huge issue with cooling and projector shut downs for sticking a High Lumen Laser projector in a small Hush Box.
I have a Circa 2008 Crestron System with the processor upgraded to Crestron CP3 about 5 years ago.
I was very fortunate to find a fantastic Crestron Programmer and with his help and buying legacy modules from E Bay for Cheap - I now have a Crestron Program I could not dream about a few years ago.
The System can be turned on using Crestorn Go App on my iPhone before I go to the theater and gives be full feedback while the system is turning on. The temperature control in the Hush box using a Crestron Thermostat has programming logic that it looks at the Projector Intake temperature and makes decision on cooling with no human intervention.
Crestron, especially the CP3 CP4 Version is truly Industrial remote program which can run stadiums and commercial installs but is surely not overkill in my 8 seat theater.
The programming and the programmer is where its at as if you have the right programmer it is solid as a rock and these days with OpenVPN and remote access my programmer can access my CP 3 and fix things for me (which really no fixing is needed) or add components without any interference of a site visit and fast.
Thanks for your info above. I am looking at either having a local guy whom I know, sell and install a Control 4 with Halo touch remote and Core 5 processor for around 5K. Or buying Crestron through eBay, as you can not get current stock right now, so I’m guessing a CP3 remote and processor and having a guy in CA who was recommended to be do the install remotely.

Any suggestions on which path to take?

Thanks for your info above. I am looking at either having a local guy whom I know, sell and install a Control 4 with Halo touch remote and Core 5 processor for around 5K. Or buying Crestron through eBay, as you can not get current stock right now, so I’m guessing a CP3 remote and processor and having a guy in CA who was recommended to be do the install remotely.

Crestron was difficult for me BEFORE I met Steven Barnes <steven@sbts-inc.com> who is amazing and now I love it.
I have no experience with Control 4 and since I was already invested in Crestron that was the best way forward for me.
You are starting from scratch so that is a different situation.
In my home Automation I use ADT Pulse and folks laugh about it but it works great as I have 69 nodes (bulbs garage doors locks AC's etc) and I can troubleshoot things myself to a large extent using a web browser including adding bulbs timers for Christmas lights scenes and what not and have maintenance program for pennies with ADT in case I need a truck roll. Zero aggravation as compared to my friend running his house even with Crestron Home.
For Crestron (CP3 based) not the Crestron Home (which is user manageable to some extent) you will need a programmer for EVERYTHING. In fact only programmers have the software to do configurations using a license.
If I was starting from scratch, having a tiny bit of independence to do things myself would be important for me - but at the same time since you will use the remote only for the theater, once set you will need the programer very seldom and since the programming is done remotely there is no inconvenience caused when you need things done.
It is a first world decision you need to make.

Well it is a small world. The person I was speaking of in my previous text who was highly recommended for Crestron is also Steven Barnes. So that says a lot for him. Would you suggest buying a TSR-310 and a CP3 processor from Ebay as Steven has told me it’s hard to get inventory from Crestron right now. Then I’m wondering how much time it would take to get it all up and running. I have four sources plus a Lutron Grafik Eye that the Crestron needs to control, plus the Lumagen all tied into my preamp. Does all this sound durable with Steven?

Yes … just the HT
The core 5 seems overkill for just one room. Most everything is ip controlled now days, and even if you needed a bunch of relay and rs232, a core 1 and an IO would be about half the price.

The Halo touch is not out yet, and the non touch Halo I would personally consider an open beta. It's getting better with every update, and you probably wouldn't miss what it's lacking in a single room setting.

Like others have said, it's the programmer that makes the system, not the equipment.

Kevin D.

The core 5 seems overkill for just one room. Most everything is ip controlled now days, and even if you needed a bunch of relay and rs232, a core 1 and an IO would be about half the price.

The Halo touch is not out yet, and the non touch Halo I would personally consider an open beta. It's getting better with every update, and you probably wouldn't miss what it's lacking in a single room setting.

Like others have said, it's the programmer that makes the system, not the equipment.

Kevin D.
Kevin,
Thanks for the info on the Core 5 and the Halo Touch status. Sounds like it is too early to be buying this, especially if I want the Halo Touch. Crestron is a hold as well since they have no product to sell. Might just have to get Magnolia to work on my URC-990 and call it a day for now.

Yeah, definitely neither of those.
If you want to control a Kaleidescape system buy a Philips Pronto TSU9600 on eBay and put the Kaleidescape module on it. It's cheap, it works a treat, and easy to DIY. If you want to program other devices to Pronto there is a learning curve but the platform is well documented and the boffins over on the Remote Central forums are helpful.
I would not touch C4 or SnapOne or anything else that is locked down with dealer service calls to make any changes to your programming.

Help I am in the UK and have a Control 4 but dealer is no longer an agent is there any recommendations for a programmer
Thanks Neale

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So is the Logitech Harmony still a good choice? I still have at least one Harmony 1000 in a box somewhere.
Or is that Philips Pronto TSU9600 the better choice? Why?

I used to be able to Program the Pronto back in the day - there is Pronto Forum some place.
That is a very cool do it yourself remote.

I have over 100 halos in the field now including 10 with kakeidescape systems. Control4 pushed out an update that fixed some issues earlier. Your network must be setup correctly. I hear of no issues other than some needing an occasional reboot. I have 7 in my own home.

Don’t rule out Josh.ai. Of all control systems mentioned , they have the nicest app. They are also the only system that deep links with Kaleidescape allowing you to tell josh to watch a specific movie.

I would suggest a control 4 core 1, halo and josh for a complete system. If it’s just a 1 room system You can also work with a remote programmer who could easily set this all up for you if your comfortable installing it. The halo touch should be out before the end of May.

Back