• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Kscape System Specs

A bit of information missing about the early system.

The first system sold consisted of a KPLAYER-2000, KSERVER-2000 and KREADER-2000. These products were updated with switching power supplies to allow them to work with both 110v and 220v and were given the designation 2000E (to facilitate exporting to countries that use 220v) - KPLAYER-2000E, KSERVER-2000E and KREADER-2000E.

The KPLAYER-2000 and KPLAYER-2000E lack an HDMI port, and have exposed "Service" and USB ports on the back panel. These players also feature BNC connections for RGBHV, however the HV ports were never enabled and the RGB ports are used for component video (Y, Pb, Pr). The KPLAYER-2500 added an HDMI port, removed the HV ports, unused USB port and exposed Service port and was referred to as the "digital player" (due to the HDMI output). The earlier player was subsequently referred to as the "analog player."

The KSERVER-2000 and KSERVER-2000E had only fast Ethernet network ports and were limited to only 7 simultaneous streams of SD video or 2 streams of HD. The KSERVER-2500 featured a gigabit Ethernet port which allowed it to support 25 streams of SD video. Later servers have more processing power enabling an even higher number of simultaneous streams.

Initially, the KREADER-2000 was replaced by the KMUSIC-4000, which did everything the reader did but added 4 music-only zones for about the same price. Some time later, the KPLAYER-5000 was released removing the need for a separate reader. Later software updates allowed the KPLAYER-5000 to play disks without importing, a big improvement for users who rent content.
___

Please note that I no longer work for Kaleidescape and this is not an official history but only my recollections from my tenure there.

Thanks for the history lesson Ian, it lays out K's early evolution nicely.:)

Jim

extremely helpful Ian! definitely fills in some missing information that will be helpful to people here. (Especially marketplace buyers/sellers of the earlier models).

--josh

August 3, 2010 Update

Added The Following
Links to download KEAOS version release notes. Currently the release note are for KEAOS v2.4, 3.0 & 3.2 - 3.8. Version 4 will be added once I receive it.

M500 & 5u

I am new and would like to know if the 5u can take only hd 750gb or can it take 14 2TB and work with the M500?

Hello and Welcome

The 5u servers can only handle a maximum of a 750GB drive. The 2TB drives are for the 3u server only and are physically a different size drive.

Yes, the 5u server is compatible with the new M500 and M300 blu-ray players.

Cinema One Processor

What processor is used by the Cinema One? I couldn't find this mentioned anywhere. Is it also a Gennum VXP 10 bit as the others? My projector indicates that it is only 8 bit.
Thanks!

If the OP is still interested, there are several minor updates to this thread that could bring it up to date.

We are currently on KEAOS v6.0.0

There are 4TB drives available for the 1U and 3U servers, as well as 1TB drives for the 5U servers.

The Alto is about to be on the market, and probably needs some love.

There is no mention of the soon-to-be-phased-out Cinema One.

According to another recent post the 1U (K1500) and 3U (K5000) can probably take up to the 6TB disks, while the 1U+ (K1550) can do up to 10TB disks. I also didn't notice whether the M700/DV700 were mentioned, as the M700 is both a player and a vault.

In the first post of this thread, the is a dead link to a list of poorly authored DVDs from K's website. I try to load this link though archive.org, but it is not available there. Does anyone have the list?

I had the original one, might be on one of my other PC's, if I find it I'll post it, but just to be clear, given the number of movies that are now available on disc, the list that was originally published is irrelevant (maybe the reason it was removed, assuming it was removed), and it also required someone to try and keep up with problem discs. There weren't many discs on the list anyway, considering the number of movies available. As an example, when first published, there were maybe 10 movies listed that were also in my collection of 450 movies, and I was eventually able to get several to import by using different importing players. I now have 3000+ movies, 1500+ CD's, and frankly have not had any problem importing 99.9% of those additional discs. Perhaps K decided there was no reason to keep up with the list, not sure.

Jim

I found the poorly authored DVD lists... There were two lists, one for "Slow Import" and another for "May Not Load". It appears the lists were last updated 3/14/2014. I formatted the lists into text files. Attached below:

Attachments

• Poorly Authored - Slow Import.txt
    11.2 KB · Views: 13
  • Poorly Authored - May Not Load.txt
    1.2 KB · Views: 8
Reactions: HCS
KCONTROLLER?
This popped up on eBay... I have never seen this mentioned before so I thought I would post it here. I am guessing that this had something to do with the old PowerFile vault and is likely not good for much in the K world anymore. Pictures attached below:

Attachments

• contoller-front.jpg
    contoller-front.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 11
  • controller-back.jpg
    controller-back.jpg
    311 KB · Views: 11
Yes. That is the PC that was used to interface and control the PowerFile disk carousel for our old Bulk Loader product. The Bulk Loader was used to import DVDs and CDs to Premiere servers and was the predecessor to our Speed Reader device. The Bulk Loader did not support playback of any kind, nor was it capable of importing Blu-ray discs.

Note that support for the Bulk Loader (which was a Premiere-only product) was dropped quite some time ago.

It is quite possible I am not searching properly, but what is the difference between an Alto 0507-0006 and an Alto 0507-0100?

There were two Alto's the original 4TB version and a 6TB version. The 0006 should be the 6TB version, the 0100 the 4TB version. (IIRC)

Jim

There were two Alto's the original 4TB version and a 6TB version. The 0006 should be the 6TB version, the 0100 the 4TB version. (IIRC)

Jim

Thank you Jim! You know why I am asking. :)

Is the only difference drive size? I assume the 6TB version is what we would call “gen2” around here.

No other difference that I'm aware of, but the "Gen 2" designation you mention is attached to the Cinema One models, not the Alto, probably because it is just a larger drive version Alto. The "Gen 2" Cinema One had larger drives, and more functions, including a button for cataloging.

Jim

No other difference that I'm aware of, but the "Gen 2" designation you mention is attached to the Cinema One models, not the Alto, probably because it is just a larger drive version Alto. The "Gen 2" Cinema One had larger drives, and more functions, including a button for cataloging.

Jim
Is there any hardware difference between Cinema One “Gen 2” and Alto 4TB? They seem to have the same hardware but different software.

Back