• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

NEWS: KEAOS v 3.7 released

josh

Administrator
Staff member
Forum Administrator
⭐️⭐️PATRON⭐️⭐️
All owners should have received this email...

--josh
-------------------------------------------------------------------
[FONT=arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1]
[/SIZE][/FONT]​
96441b88-c.gif

Dear Kaleidescape System Owner,
Kaleidescape announces version 3.7 of the Kaleidescape Entertainment Appliance Operating System (KEAOS). Sometime during the next 30 days, KEAOS 3.7 will be installed automatically on your Kaleidescape System assuming it is connected to the Internet. To determine the KEAOS version running on your System, view the System Summary tab on the onscreen display (OSD), or view the System Status area on the Web Utility at http://my-kaleidescape/ (or http://my-kaleidescape.local/ on a Mac).
KEAOS 3.7 includes the following new features:

• Multi-channel Audio Over an HDMI Connection
    Dolby Digital and DTS multi-channel audio can now be sent over an HDMI connection. In versions prior to KEAOS 3.7, only decoded two-channel Dolby Digital audio was sent, and DTS audio was not sent at all. KEAOS 3.7 will not change the behavior of existing Movie Players, but HDMI multi-channel audio can be enabled in the Installer Web Utility at http://my-kaleidescape/installer/components.html (or http://my-kaleidescape.local/installer/components.html on a Mac).
  • Play Multiple Genres or Play Multiple Artists
    When selecting music, you can now play multiple genres or play multiple artists. In versions prior to KEAOS 3.7, only a single genre or a single artist could be added to the Now Playing list.
Please direct questions and feedback on this announcement to support@kaleidescape.com.
Sincerely,
The Kaleidescape Team

7301c421-6.jpg

Last edited:
I think (not positive) that 3.7 also has the code that permits users to migrate movies/music from one server to another, something required for the new 5U-to-3U upgrade program.

Can anyone verify that's the case? Can 3.7 migrate movies from one server to another whenever a user wants or for any reason, or does it ONLY permit that to be done for that upgrade program, somehow verifying that special case situation?

Will be eager to see a screenshot of how that looks and works. Anyone ordered their upgrade yet?

--josh

I think (not positive) that 3.7 also has the code that permits users to migrate movies/music from one server to another, something required for the new 5U-to-3U upgrade program.

Can anyone verify that's the case? Can 3.7 migrate movies from one server to another whenever a user wants or for any reason, or does it ONLY permit that to be done for that upgrade program, somehow verifying that special case situation?

Will be eager to see a screenshot of how that looks and works. Anyone ordered their upgrade yet?

--josh
It does have the replication feature BUT it's Beta and a dealer has to sign up for the beta program in order to enable the replication feature in 3.7.

The replication allows you to copy content from one server to another that is owned by the same person. Here is what Kscape says.
"Replication enables you to copy content from a Server to a System. It is useful for moving content from a Server before retiring or replacing it, and for importing the same content to Systems belonging to a single owner."

Hope that helps.

Got the email as well. Good to see they're continuously working on things. The multiple artists thing is cool as well

I've heard replication takes quite a long while. Still its a cool feature. Glad K is still innovating.

Anyone actually get it yet? Post here when your system gets the update...

Got 3.7-6524 on Feb. 13th.

--josh

DSW's got it right, you can migrate your content from your server to any other server you own. It was created to help with upgrades from 5U to 3U, but obviously also works to move content to any server you own.

A couple of points: You cannot "select" specific content, you must migrate everything stored on the server (although if you happen to have content already on the destination server it will not be duplicated). If you don't want to migrate a particular movie, delete the movie completely before beginning the replication process.

DVD's, CD's Cover Art, Paused Bookmarks, favorite scenes and user-entered Meta Data will all be replicated. Scripts will not replicate, but can be saved to a PC and imported after replication completes. Mix albums, collections, user preferences and parental control settings will not be replicated and need to be recreated after replication is complete.

Another positive is that you will not need to send the Server to K to have the content replicated (as in the past), and you save the expense involved as well.

Jim

Transferring Content

Hi,

I'm new to the board and hopefully getting ready to purchase a K system, but I wonder, what is the practical situation where you would transfer movies from one server to another? Legally, you can only have the movies on one server, right?

Thanks, Steven

Hey, if I were ever on any "special list" at K, it would be because of you!!:D

Seriously, I got it early to beta the HDMI and other improvements. Happy to report it was "all good.":)

Jim

Upgrade w/Used Systems

Hi,

I also wondered, if one buys a used server, how does K know to put the upgrade on your server?

Thanks, Steven

multi-channel audio over HDMI

I posted this under "Kscape Hardware and Setup" and got some responses, but thought I would repost here to get more eyeballs, since it has to do with KEAOS v 3.7.

Forgive me if this is an obvious question, but now that the new software upgrade will include multi-channel audio over HDMI, I was wondering if people thought that, as a general rule, audio quality would be better over HDMI or optical or SPDIF. (everything is run through an Anthem AVM 50 on my system).

Any advice is appreciated...thanks

I believe you are better off with Coax digital output. HDMI has a lot of jitter.

Steven, welcome!! I believe you are right- the moving the movies thing I think is there to facilitate the server upgrade program for those with older servers. I am sure its automated and once the files are moved, the previous server's drives get wiped. As to how they know to update, your server connects to the internet and reports to the mothership constantly.

Steven, welcome!! I believe you are right- the moving the movies thing I think is there to facilitate the server upgrade program for those with older servers. I am sure its automated and once the files are moved, the previous server's drives get wiped.

At no point in the replication process do the drives get wiped on the source server. The source is left intact.

At no point in the replication process do the drives get wiped on the source server. The source is left intact.
That's a little disappointing actually. Presumably then the drive is still paired to your system and can't be resold without getting it back to Kaleidescape for "unpairing"?

That's a little disappointing actually. Presumably then the drive is still paired to your system and can't be resold without getting it back to Kaleidescape for "unpairing"?

Correct, individual drives would need to be sent to K before they can be installed in a different server. (I do however wonder if this is something that could be addressed through software, it would see so.)

Jim

I got 3.7 on March 6. Didn't notice until tonite. Presumably all customers have it or soon will.

Back