• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

KEAOS v 3.5.4 - fixes import problems!

Regions?

I use one player to import region 1 and region 2 ( I have about 300 or each region in my collection) and the reading process appears to be fine on all. Longers upload so far was about 50mins.

I use one player to import region 1 and region 2 ( I have about 300 or each region in my collection) and the reading process appears to be fine on all. Longers upload so far was about 50mins.

Yes, as you indicate, you can import dvd's from different regions provided the player is set to the appropriate region. You can change the region on a player in the installer utility to allow importing, but you can only change a player's region up to 4 times. Once imported, the player will playback any DVD, regardless of region. If you have several players, you can assign different regions among the players to support regular importing of different region DVD's.

All of these region restrictions are part of K's licensing requirements with the CCA.

Jim

Yes, as you indicate, you can import dvd's from different regions provided the player is set to the appropriate region. You can change the region on a player in the installer utility to allow importing, but you can only change a player's region up to 4 times. Once imported, the player will playback any DVD, regardless of region. If you have several players, you can assign different regions among the players to support regular importing of different region DVD's.

All of these region restrictions are part of K's licensing requirements with the CCA.

Jim

If you would don't mind getting your hands dirty there is a way to make the movie player region free.

What do you mean "If you would don't mind getting your hands dirty there is a way to make the movie player region free"? I am not following you.

region free

What do you mean "If you would don't mind getting your hands dirty there is a way to make the movie player region free"? I am not following you.

The players use a standard DVD rom drive which is relatively simple to remove. You can then install it in your PC and use software to disable the RPC region restriction before re-installing it. Assuming you don't mind voiding the warranty.
{Link removed by admin}

Last edited by a moderator:
Note from admin: Hate to do this, but I removed a link in the post above. I don't like editing or removing posts, and I don't mind a general discussion around the issues of region encoding and how it's handled by various hardware.

Choosing to do this stuff will certainly violate your Kaleidescape warranty, and may be a ToS violation too... heck, that's up to you. I believe once we buy hardware we can tinker with it as long as we're not breaking any laws.

BUT, I became somewhat concerned that the drive maker, or Kaleidescape, or studio lawyers could decide to come after me, or this board for passing on information on how to do it. I'm not a lawyer, and figure I'm probably safe, but don't care to spend lots of my money defending even a frivolous lawsuit.

So... do your own searches on the topic elsewhere if you really wish to find more information, or contact each other by Private Message maybe?

Sorry...

--josh

Back