• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

KEAOS v 3.5.4 - fixes import problems!

josh

Administrator
Staff member
Forum Administrator
⭐️⭐️PATRON⭐️⭐️
As I just posted on the threads about import problems, Kaleidescape has given me permission to post that system v3.5.4 is coming to all users at the end of this week or sometime next week.

As a beta-tester for this release, I can report that Hairspray and King of Kong did indeed import properly.

Hallelujah! And congrats to Kaleidescape for restoring my/our faith in our beloved systems.

--josh

Also imported Shoot-em-Up and Rush Hour 3 without any problems.:)

Nice job K!

Jim

You can add "Mr Woodcock", "Saw III", "Saw IV", "Blade: The Seriese" and "Intolerance" among others to the list.

It appears the import issue has been resolved.:)

What version is that exactly?

Which version are you running that has the import problem fixed?

I had signed up for the beta, but never heard back if I had the beta installed. I got a new update on March 18 and I am now running 3.5.4-4427.

Are you running a later version of 3.5.4?

I ask because I was not able to import Silk, which was a NewLine dvd that I had troubles with before. Same with Shoot 'em up and Rendition.

I will try those again.

3.5.4-4427 is the version with the import fixes. I was able to import Silk, Shoot 'Em Up and Rendition on multiple devices (with multiple drive types) however that doesn't guarantee that they will import on all devices. I'd be curious to know what type of device you were trying to import on. I know that certain models of DVD drives are particularly troublesome with a few titles even with the import fixes.

Davebei,

When you say you weren't able to import it, did it actually finish and report "problem loading DVD" or did you just abort it because it was taking hours?

The reason I ask is that I first thought King of Kong wouldn't import, even after getting 3.5.4, because it went almost 2 hours so I aborted it. But I finally tried it again after getting a tip from Kaleidescape that some of these problem discs WOULD load but could take up to 2 hours or more.

--josh

You bring up a good point Josh. It's important owners remember that although load times have been getting faster, there are some DVDs that require longer load times (up to several hours).

Jim

Faster?? I've NEVER seen the times getting faster on average... though I've heard others say this. Load times for me are ALWAYS >45 minutes and some, as stated above, have taken up to 2 hours or more.

For me, load times have gotten much longer over the past year... maybe because i use the older Kaleidescape reader, not the Movie Player 2?

--josh

For me, load times have gotten much longer over the past year... maybe because i use the older Kaleidescape reader, not the Movie Player 2?

It's not because you're using a reader. It's because the DVD authoring is getting more and more complicated which causes the system to have to perform more re-reads as it imports.

So far, Ive never had a good DVD import take hours- its only the ones that end up being problem discs. Right now Im having a problem with the new 101 Dalmatians disc 2. Disc 1 (main feature) imports just fine. Im sure it as you say, with complex authoring.

You bring up a good point Josh. It's important owners remember that although load times have been getting faster, there are some DVDs that require longer load times (up to several hours).

Jim

Hot Fuzz took about 18 hours to import and I could not get Underworld to import at all however out of 100 DVD's I imported over a week on a single Movie 2 player I reckon that less than 10% struggled with importing and about the same for content recognition of the discs that did import.

I was concerned with what the strike rate would be for title recognition importing Region 4 PAL releases, however I have been very pleased with the result to date.

Wow, 18 hours is a long time. I probably would have pulled the plug by the fifth hour.:)

Yes, there are also some DVD's that can take all day to import.

Regarding the 10% (DVD's that will not import), that number seems very high. I typically see (or hear from clients) that 2-3% of their DVD's will not import, and most of those DVD's turn out to be dirty or damaged.

Curious what others have found.

Jim

In my case, out of 450+ titles (including *many* multi-disc TV boxsets), I've got 1 disc (part of a 3-disc box set) that wouldn't import on my KPlayer 5000 (but *did* import on a different KPlayer that had a different brand of DVD-ROM drive in it).

In my case, out of 450+ titles (including *many* multi-disc TV boxsets), I've got 1 disc (part of a 3-disc box set) that wouldn't import on my KPlayer 5000 (but *did* import on a different KPlayer that had a different brand of DVD-ROM drive in it).

That's actually very good (1 out of 450+. I would have expected 10/450+).

I think it's now accepted that there are some importing differences between Players (and the original Reader).

Jim

Finally worked

I got a "Problem reading disc" error when trying to import Rendition, but on a second attempt, it worked. I was then able to load Shoot 'em Up and have not tried Silk yet. So, things are definitely looking up!

Regarding the 10% (DVD's that will not import), that number seems very high.

Jim

I only had one disc that would not import (Underworld). The less than 10% was discs that required extended times for import. More than 90% were importing within 15 to 20 minutes.

In regards to the Hot Fuzz import taking 18 hours, I didn't wait up.... :)

Thanks for the clarification Byron.:)

importing

hiya all ,this is my first time posting and i like yourselves am always curious as to know the reasons y we cannot import certain discs,i have just read the various comments about certain films,and i can say that i had no problems importing any of them apart from king kong which actually is a region 2 copy,so i decided to buy a region 1 copy just to see if there would be a change and believe it or not it copied within 15 minutes ,this was copied via a movie player 1 which is always set at region 1,and my movie player 2 which is region 2 could not do that ,however it is possible that my region 2 copy could have been flawed so it may be well worth it to try and exchange your copy from where u purchased it from for another disc just to try and see if this solves the problem.
anyway just thought it might be useful.
thanks bobster

hiya all ,this is my first time posting and i like yourselves am always curious as to know the reasons y we cannot import certain discs,i have just read the various comments about certain films,and i can say that i had no problems importing any of them apart from king kong which actually is a region 2 copy,so i decided to buy a region 1 copy just to see if there would be a change and believe it or not it copied within 15 minutes ,this was copied via a movie player 1 which is always set at region 1,and my movie player 2 which is region 2 could not do that ,however it is possible that my region 2 copy could have been flawed so it may be well worth it to try and exchange your copy from where u purchased it from for another disc just to try and see if this solves the problem.
anyway just thought it might be useful.
thanks bobster

Welcome! :)
Yes, the player must support the proper region of the dvd to import. The player's region can also be changed, but there are a limited number of times that you can change the region (through user settings). (I think it is 4 times).

AFAIK, King Kong doesn't have a problem importing. It was "The King of Kong" (different movie) that had import issues. This is also a New Line Cinema release, which as reported by Josh, has apparently been fixed with this beta we've been working with.

Jim

Back