• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

NEWS: Kaleidescape to support Blu-ray! (official)

Good idea- a wish list or suggested items list for K on the BR player. I will sleep on it. I feel the same way- now its time to move on with this format. Both BR and HDDVD are good formats so we couldnt lose as HD fans.

A "wish list" would allow K to hear our collective voices. I'll start the thread now (provided someone hasn't already done so). Look for it under "Feature and Enhancement Requests."

However, just to be clear, K intends to create a player that is "very competitive" with other BR players. I assume that means competitive with other BR players in existence AT THE TIME they release the K-BRPLAYER (my designation, not theirs:D). That said, I gotta believe the player will have ALL the necessary HD decoding, 1080p24.........etc.

Jim

I agree the company seems to be very quiet on this lately. Maybe some of our dealers that seem to be "in the know" can tell us if they've heard anything?

We have been told over and over that the Blu-Ray player will not be out till 09. I was told by our sales rep that it actually looks like LATE 09 BUT they are definitely working on getting it out in 09.

Until then there is really nothing the company has to announce about a BR player. Who knows maybe at Cedia next week we will see a BR prototype?

I really hope that their statement of supporting bluray does not mean that you can put a disk in a drive in one of their players and play it. That is not K support as far as I am concerned.

Unfortunately, unless the studios follow through with their promise to give us all managed copy or unless the DMCA becomes less restrictive, that's likely the most you will get. Perhaps they will offer a streaming solution where you can put a disk or disks in a player (the latter being a changer design) so that you don't just get playback in the player is, but that's about as much as you can expect. There likely is no loophole in the BR licensing agreement like there is with DVD. As such, K does not have a legal path to rip BR content. There's not much that they can do about that unless the studios budge and given the format war's end, that seems less likely now than ever. They could try to offer managed copy as a way to prop up BR sales, but then they would likely be cannibalizing download revenues.

It's a sad state of affairs but the facts are what they are. As usual, we're at the mercy of the studios to give us a better solution and they have shown a reluctance to do that for us. Flexibility usually takes a back seat to revenue. It doesn't surprise me one but, but it is a little sad.

Jeff

And the irony is revenue would increase more with greater flexibility!

The true irony is that people who are truly motivated to accomplish the task of ripping a disk to a movie server and watching it however they want will still accomplish this task, one way or another. And the studios cannot do anythng about it.

The amazing irony is that the people who want to do this would be happy to do it legally and are usually not the ones that steal movies.

Unfortunately, unless the studios follow through with their promise to give us all managed copy or unless the DMCA becomes less restrictive, that's likely the most you will get. Perhaps they will offer a streaming solution where you can put a disk or disks in a player (the latter being a changer design) so that you don't just get playback in the player is, but that's about as much as you can expect. There likely is no loophole in the BR licensing agreement like there is with DVD. As such, K does not have a legal path to rip BR content. There's not much that they can do about that unless the studios budge and given the format war's end, that seems less likely now than ever. They could try to offer managed copy as a way to prop up BR sales, but then they would likely be cannibalizing download revenues.

It's a sad state of affairs but the facts are what they are. As usual, we're at the mercy of the studios to give us a better solution and they have shown a reluctance to do that for us. Flexibility usually takes a back seat to revenue. It doesn't surprise me one but, but it is a little sad.

Jeff

Well said, and its all these aspects which sadly make me thing that Kscape will not be offering this for a LONG time if ever, not due to there want to do it but the lack of license agreement from the studios.

Looks like i need to build my own bluray server to run alongside the kscape for movie and dvd....

Managed Copy

In reading some of the legal papers filed in the current lawsuit against RealNetworks and the MPAA and film studios, I came across an interesting statement in a sworn affidavit by Michael Dunn who is the President of Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment LLC, a subsidiary of Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation. The statement was dated September 29, 2008 and contains the following:

"19. Beginning next year, all high-definition Blu-ray discs will offer consumers the ability to make a copy of the content onto their computer hard drives, and there is a significant possibility that a multi-industry agreement will be reached soon to bring the same capability to standard definition DVDs as well. This capability, referred to 'Managed Copy' is, once again, similar to RealDVD's functionality, in that it allows consumers to have content both on a DVD and on their computer's hard drive. The critical difference is that (a) Managed Copy will be authorized by content owners and (b) it will allow the content owners to capture the extra value that it brings to the consumer."

This is the first time I have seen a statement this definative, although I may have just missed it in the past.

Scott

Hi Scott,

I don't think you missed it. This discussion has been ongoing and managed copy implementation has been the "snail" in the process. This is what K has been saying all along about their BR support. The hardware is no problem, the software is available and getting better, and once licensing issues are resolved (which can only occur after MC, or some other implementation, is finalized) then we will see the BR support many are awaiting from K. (I'm basing this comment solely on K's publicly released announcements.)

That said, nice find, and it's always nice to hear from industry folks on this subject.:)

Jim

Back