• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Kaleidescape To Deliver 4K

It's a real pity for everyone out of the US.
From what I have gathered it will be a long time before anyone over the pond will see any different.
You look at the last ten releases on the k-store admittedly it has a couple latest films, but apart from that it looks sadly pathetic.

It's no wonder how ?99 for a Apple TV and ?5.99 a month for Netflix is more attractive to a lot of people.

I was just going by the following:

"Pursuant to the settlement agreement, the superior court at the request of Kaleidescape and DVD CCA modified the injunction to provide that it takes effect November 30, 2014. This permits Kaleidescape to continue selling systems that import CSS-protected DVDs through November 29. By then, Kaleidescape expects to have most DVD movies available for download from the Kaleidescape Store in the United States."

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/kaleidescape-dvd-cca-announce-settlement-220400269.html

It is a little vague, only refers to DVDs and only refers to the US. I may be being too optimistic but we should have an idea next month.

John

Understood, and your read is as good as any, and hopefully correct.:) My comment was only that I've never heard "K" reference having most studios in the store this year. (In law, we refer to the above quote as "hearsay.":D)

Seriously, it would certainly be nice to have most of the major studios available this year, and even better if they can start expanding the offerings to our fellow owner's overseas.

Jim

I had hope to see 4K compatible players this year. Was eyeing the Sony 85" X950B for the family room...it is football season! And it would be great to have movie content too ;)

Ill be really excited when they get broadcasts in 4k. I find even with 1080i (and Fox is still 720) the details get obscured and the dynamic range can't handle everything in the frame. I believe the 4k spec has a wider color gamut and wider dynamic range. Oh yes, I am looking forward to this! But when will we see widespread 4k broadcasts?

Figure the rollout will probably be slower than HD, but probably relatively close to the same time frame. Maybe a 4K NET, a 4K PPV and then a gradual rollout as more sets are on the market. It might be a problem for Sat companies unless they can increase their overall transmission bandwidth or until we can get a codec that can fit 4K into an HD sized stream. Otherwise, one 4k channel will take as much space as 3-4 HD channels and making that room in addition to all the old HD channels for people who have not upgraded plus NTSC channels for the legacy systems running off non-HD set top boxes.

Thanks. I agree- but I would also point out this is exactly what most of us thought about the sat companies and regular HD when HD was new. They'll figure out how to make it work.

If it's like the sat providers solution for 1080 signal, we'll have over compressed 3K in no time at all!

Kevin D.

Yes. Very funny and very true. Lets face it, we will need compression no matter what form of signal comes along. I can't see much meaningful difference in image quality between the major providers. I do see better image quality with the streamers sometimes and definitely via blu ray. I think whether its downloads or discs that will be the future for top quality 4K viewing. I don't think we will have the bandwidth for streaming or the sat/ cable companies.

I personally would love to see the store have 24 hour rentals of the full blu-ray disc. I know you would have to wait longer for the download then driving to Red-box, but with Red-box dropping the hi-res soundtrack with certain studio's blu-rays I would rather wait.

If they could apply a discount to purchase price if you decide to own it, that would just be awesome.

Kevin D.

I would enjoy that also.

I also think download is really the best way to get 4K content otherwise we will have to invest in new Vaults that can read the discs. We probably already will have to invest in new players...

I know you would have to wait longer for the download then driving to Red-box...

Kevin D.

K has said that they could do "streaming" if needed. That implies a way to watch almost immediately (probably contingent on bandwidth).

John

Most of the discs will be a stripped down version with no special features, which I'm fine with. Lion's Gate has decided for the last few years to only include Dolby digital 5.1 mixes on their Blu-ray discs where the retail version will generally have a 7.1 DTS track.

This seems to mainly be true in their larger releases where the demand is worth a separate disc for rentals. Enders game, the hunger game series, twilight and more...

Interesting. I wonder if they use greater compression to fit it on a smaller capacity and thus possibly less expensive to manufacturer disc?

From what I've read, most of the butchered discs are BD25 instead of the typical BD50.

Kevin D.

I suppose only time will tell. From my own experience the difference between streamed 4K and BR is marginal. I am hoping a physical disc will give a better viewing experience.

I tend to agree with the "marginal" comment, especially for the smaller 4K displays. There have been many comments within the industry that also agree, and some claim there is no visual improvement from normal viewing distances. Personally, I do see an improvement in the overall image on my larger 4K's (Sony 84", Samsung 85", and a Sony VW1100ES PJ), and I've done some A/B comparisons that support this belief, but do acknowledge that on the smaller (84/85) the improvements are minor. That said, the idiot video enthusiast in me will usually upgrade for even minor improvements.:D

Jim

That said, the idiot video enthusiast in me will usually upgrade for even minor improvements.:D

Jim

That's me too. My problem is that I currently have NO 4K displays so next year could be very expensive for me if content becomes widely available.

John

Back