• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

NEWS: Kaleidescape & 3D

josh

Administrator
Staff member
Forum Administrator
⭐️⭐️PATRON⭐️⭐️
I know I'm in the minority on this board as someone who DOES have a real interest in 3D video. Most here don't, but I asked Michael Malcolm about Kaleidescape's plans for supporting the technology yesterday and learned a bit more about the plans and timeframes.

Short version: it's coming, but NOT anytime soon. If you've been holding off on upgrading players to M-Class, hoping for "M-3d class", then you may not want to hold off. As I think most of you are aware, the players that are on the market today do not support 3D content, so you will need new players in rooms in which you want 3D. Kaleidescape is guessing (not committing) that this will come no sooner than probably 18 months from now. :(

Today's servers will, of course, have no problem storing and serving the content for 3-D. While the bandwidth needs are a bit higher, the company doesn't currently believe it will be any problem for a typical system on a well-designed network.

The delay on 3D players is not due to Kaleidescape's engineering priorities nor is it due to Kaleidescape not wanting to support the technology. It is due to the fact that Kaleidescape uses Intel chipsets for decoding and video processing, and there is not yet a chipset that has the performance to support the needs of high-quality 3D plus all the other features Kaleidescape needs from their chipset.

As has previously been reported, Mike Malcolm has himself installed a 3D-capable Titan projector in his home theater and is eager to have the technology, but his tech team has reported that it is simply not possible until a more powerful chipset comes from Intel.

So... if you thought you might see this tech coming soon, I'm sorry to disappoint you. But if you worried whether the company will EVER support 3D, or even is taking an interest, then maybe you'll find this news somewhat encouraging.

AND yes... I tried to get information from him about IDV pricing and release date, 3TB drives, new players, new servers, new hardware features, etc. and he would not comment on any of those topics, but pledged to help us get the word out via the forum here as soon as possible.

--josh

Thanks Josh! (MM is always a difficult interrogation!:D)

Jim

Thanks for the information. My interest in 3D is still developing I have not seen that many 3D films that are important to me.....but when it works it is a very compelling viewing experience.

It is good to know the servers will not need upgrading in the foreseeable future. My next panel will be 3D capable and I will most likely get an Oppo for 3D use in the short term. It will be interesting to see how mainstream 3D becomes as the technology matures.

It is good to know the servers will not need upgrading in the foreseeable future.
Not for the 3D functionality anyway.

Plenty of other perfectly good reasons to need a new server though, like if EFI is not flash-fixable, or they want to come out with larger capacities. I think +1U for an extra 10-31 HDDs is a fairly good deal. Put them together and there could be some rather happy BD collectors (it takes a while to tear through 88T+ of available space.)

Thanks Josh. Interesting news. Good news on the servers. I think they really made the right moves with the 3U server.

Well done Josh, good news indeed! I will be happy to wait for K's implementation of 3D. (by which time 3D will hopefully be better established, ie. passive/active etc). Having the K system has tidied up my HC and removed quite a few 'boxes'.

I wonder if the current M500 will import the 3D discs with just a firmware fix?

P.

Probably, if Intel is indeed being utilized.

Jim

You know who you're dealing with! :)

I don't care one bit about 3D but if anyone wants it I hope they will do it. So far in the theater the only 3D I enjoyed was Avatar- and even then I felt it dimmed the image and made it feel more constrained and boxed in. I prefer a larger and more vibrant image.

Nor I, but as long as this new chip has the horsepower to let the next-gen M-player do lossless audio decoding then I'll be happy!

I 've had no interest in 3D myself however Bang & Olufsen is introducing an 85 inch screen next week and I'd like to see if the larger format will peak my interest. BTW, KAL just updated my system. Anyone know what changed?

My installer has seen the Panasonic TH85VX200 and is enthusiastic about its performance. I believe the BV 4-85 is based on this panel. I am hoping to view the TH85 and the larger TH103 shortly. I expect there may be a new BV 103 shortly.

I would like to see B&O release a version of Panasonics 4K 152" panel. That would keep the gadget magazine forums busy for a while.

4k would be amazing! Don't know where in the world you are but I'm showing the B&O 85 in my dealer showroom on May 12.

Although I'm not a huge 3D fan, I do have a couple dozen movies that are 3D because the 3D was pat of the disc set, so I wouldn't mind having this capability as well.

I also have the new Sony VW1000ES 3D 4K projector being delivered tomorrow. My first shot at 3D projection, so we'll see if that increases my enthusiasm.:)

Jim

I hope that when the players are updated to include 3D, they include the option of decoding TrueHD and DTS master onboard in lossless form to output as Meridian-compatible audio. I also hope that the players can output this same lossless audio stream out of HDMI while outputting the D-BOX compatible dolby digital or DTS (lossy) audio tracks out of a separate digital port, optical or otherwise.

I hope that when the players are updated to include 3D, they include the option of decoding TrueHD and DTS master onboard in lossless form to output as Meridian-compatible audio. I also hope that the players can output this same lossless audio stream out of HDMI while outputting the D-BOX compatible dolby digital or DTS (lossy) audio tracks out of a separate digital port, optical or otherwise.

Nice, but reportedly not possible without a major change to the Player case. I think we will eventually see a completely new Player that provides for all of these things, but that's pure speculation, and wishful thinking, on my part (SO DON'T PM ME, I HAVE NO "SECRET" INFO IN THIS REGARD.:D)

Jim

Back