• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

K1500 Not Showing Up

USAMP411

Hello, I am having some issues with my K1500 server. For a few months it was showing a yellow light on the front, But all drives showed blue. Also, the server was not showing in my list of components. I reached out to Ksupport and Rusty asked a few questions. While trying to get answers for him. I had restarted the device numerous times (which I had done in the past as well) and all of a sudden I got blue light on the front. However, the device still does not show up in my list nor the movies on it.

Rusty sent me information on pulling log files so he can try to figure out what is going on, however, I do not own a computer with a serial port. Tried a serial to usb converter, but the emulator (PuTTY) doesn't recognize it because it isn't a serial port.

Anyone have a similar issue that was resolved? I changed out the Cat cable in case that was just bad. Is there a way to check the ethernet port on the server to see if that went bad? Could it be that simple?

Thanks in advance!

As an update, I did just see that there are no network lights showing on the back of the server at the RJ-45 connector. Is there a way to replace that board easily (read cheaply)?

The Ethernet port is integrated with the mainboard and it is unlikely you'll find a replacement. You'd have better luck finding a 2nd-hand chassis to install your disk cartridges into, but that assumes the file system is intact and all the hard drives are healthy.

Before you pursue a chassis/mainboard solution, you really want to get the serial capture Rusty recommends. If you can't make the serial connection work, contact a dealer or programmer who can do it for you. I am not saying there is an issue with the file system or hard drives, but I've seen way more problems with those than a faulty Ethernet port. And here's the thing... the serial capture will confirm if the server is booting or not. If it fails to boot, the server will never attempt to attach to the network and potentially wouldn't have any NIC lights anyways.

Good luck,
Andy

Rusty sent me information on pulling log files so he can try to figure out what is going on, however, I do not own a computer with a serial port. Tried a serial to usb converter, but the emulator (PuTTY) doesn't recognize it because it isn't a serial port.
A serial to usb converter should show up as a virtual serial port in the system and you should be able to use it with putty the same as with a physical serial port.

I'd also - if you can - try changing the PSU. Might sound back to front but I had 1U that had the same/similar issue suggesting it was the board. Replaced the PSU and boom, everything properly came back to life!

Back